Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > FS2 Open Tools

PUBLIC BETA: Modpack Cleaner v0.6

<< < (4/7) > >>

Fury:
What's the point with adding support to vp's? If you use this app, it means you're developing a mod or at least messing with the modpack, which again means you've already extracted contents of vp-files. Even if you run this app against vp-files, you're not going to be able to do any cleaning unless you extract said vp-files. It seems a lot of work for no gain whatsoever to add support for vp's.

--- Quote from: FreeSpaceFreak on February 15, 2012, 03:16:27 pm ---Which is the case for weapon_expl.tbl (according to the Wiki), so at least that should be alright.

--- End quote ---
Well, if may want to consider adding a notification that weapon_expl.tbl references to unused effect and it could be removed from tbl as well as the effect itself.

--- Quote from: FreeSpaceFreak on February 15, 2012, 03:16:27 pm ---Cleaning other folders, I dunno. Maps and effects are the usual memory hogs, and AFAIK there's no real challenge in the other folders (it's all used in the same way as maps and effects) so at that point it just becomes cumbersome and repetitive, not much of an exercise anymore.

--- End quote ---
Memory hogs yes, but I think this tool has real potential to become a true modpack cleaner and it'd be real benefit to everybody to not bundle useless files in their modpacks. A lot of mods these days have a ton of files in their interface folder for example, which makes noticing unused files hard.

How about setting up svn repository for this, it'd be a lot more convenient for people to contribute? That way you don't have to add features that have no interest to you, but others may want to. And everyone benefits from it.

mjn.mixael:

--- Quote from: Fury on February 15, 2012, 11:52:57 pm ---What's the point with adding support to vp's? If you use this app, it means you're developing a mod or at least messing with the modpack, which again means you've already extracted contents of vp-files. Even if you run this app against vp-files, you're not going to be able to do any cleaning unless you extract said vp-files. It seems a lot of work for no gain whatsoever to add support for vp's.

--- End quote ---

Let's say you are developing a mod against the MediaVPs. How does this program check (assuming multi-mod support) that certain files exist if it can't read into the MediaVPs VPs?

Fury:
The tool does not check for missing effects or maps as it is. The tool would first need to be able to check and notify of missing files.

FreeSpaceFreak:

--- Quote from: Droid803 on February 15, 2012, 05:39:05 pm ---*snip*

--- End quote ---

Great, thanks :)

VP support - it could be useful if you're overriding an MVP file. Let's say you want the Orion in different colours, so you override the MVP textures with identically-named ones in your own modpack. Anyway, I'll probably add it just because it's interesting to do.

SVN repo - that'd be cool, though I wouldn't know how to go about it. Either way, the source code is provided (I can upload the VC10 project file if anyone wants it), contributions are welcome (as is criticism on my newb coding BTW).

Iss Mneur:

--- Quote from: FreeSpaceFreak on February 17, 2012, 02:32:06 am ---VP support - it could be useful if you're overriding an MVP file. Let's say you want the Orion in different colours, so you override the MVP textures with identically-named ones in your own modpack. Anyway, I'll probably add it just because it's interesting to do.

--- End quote ---
If you do implement VP support. I have a working wxBase implementation that will read .vps.  It should be fairly straight forward to port to STL C++ like what you are using. It was originally done up in anticipation of a wxLauncher feature(s) that I haven't gotten to yet, but as far as I recall the implemenation works as advertised for reading of vps.  You can find it on the wxLauncher googlecode page: http://code.google.com/p/wxlauncher/source/checkout?repo=libvp

--- Quote from: FreeSpaceFreak on February 17, 2012, 02:32:06 am ---SVN repo - that'd be cool, though I wouldn't know how to go about it. Either way, the source code is provided (I can upload the VC10 project file if anyone wants it), contributions are welcome (as is criticism on my newb coding BTW).

--- End quote ---
I would suggest just hosting it on a place like googlecode.com and be done with it.  They cover everything needed to setup.  If you are having problems with SVN itself (ie. how to use it) I would suggest the "SVN Book" that is available online for free or on paper.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version