Hosted Projects - Standalone > Wing Commander Saga

WCS:DD in Linux with Wine

<< < (2/4) > >>

MatthTheGeek:
Or you'd need the WCS team to actually build one and distribute it, but that must be too hard for them.

Or they could release their code for us to compile, but code's only for devs.

Dragon:
WCS team promised releasing the code a long time ago, so I hope it'll keep that promise. It'll most likely come out with the SDK.

Tolwyn:

--- Quote from: MatthTheGeek on March 27, 2012, 05:23:02 pm ---Or you'd need the WCS team to actually build one and distribute it, but that must be too hard for them.

Or they could release their code for us to compile, but code's only for devs.

--- End quote ---

We appreciate your feedback and input on the matter. Thanks for stopping by.

Darklord42:
Then mac users can use wineskin which makes the whole wine on mac very easy to use.

wineskin.doh123.com

The app has a very simple to use GUI that lets you install your game into a finder click-able application wrapper, and then you can use whatever tricks you normally use with wine to get the game running. 

I got it working great for standoff. it does add another (aprox.) 150mb to the file, as each wrapper also includes its own x11 package and wine installation.

a native app would still be better :) Wineskines take a few seconds longer to load up for starters.

[EDIT]  Yup the game works in wineskin upon installation.  Also installation of .NET from winetricks will get the launcher working as well.  Only major hitch is joystick isn't detected.  This is a common wine on MacOSX issue as the wine joystick system isn't near as good as it is on linux.  It's only a miracle that it works with WC Prophecy, Secret OPs, and Standoff so I'm not surprised.  Flight by keyboard is a little rough though with a macbook. ;)

Interesting graphical quirk noticed though. The old Mac OSX bug when ships go through a jump they will show through the other side of the jump before vanishing, is actually there.  This is common on native mac builds of FSO but this the first time I tried to run a windows build via wine and I got the same results.   Doesn't happen in windows..  :confused:

My graphics card is an older Nvidia 8600M

niffiwan:
I tried installing .NET2.0 with this:

--- Code: ---winetricks dotnet20

--- End code ---

While this lets the launcher run, it's very slow (maybe 3-5 secs to switch tabs and draw everything), plus text (like your resolution) is nearly 75% hidden by the box it's in.  So unfortunately, close to unusable.  There's probably something else that I could install with winetricks that would improve things, but I'm not much of a wine guru, more just a user :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version