Author Topic: Back after 17 years, and now ?  (Read 2725 times)

Back after 17 years, and now ?
Hi,
I was a huge fan of Freespace a very long time ago (over 15 years). I found back my retail box of Freespace collection of 6 CDs (Freespace 1 & 2) and I would like to play it again. I installed FS2 but it does not launch (Not Enough RAM - FreeSpace has detected that you only have 0MB of free memory.  FreeSpace requires at least 32 MB of memory to run ).
I obviously have a recent PC with 24 GB of RAM and a good graphics card (Windows 7).
I'm confused about what to install: OpenAL? MediaVPs 4.4.x? In which order ?
Could you help me get it right? Preferably in French if it is possible, but I can understand English if no French version exists.
Thank you very much for your help. Every advice is welcome.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Re: Back after 17 years, and now ?
First, find the link below for knossos, which is our combined mod installer and package manager.  It will get you the latest FSO build, which should fix that silly bug you're running into.  You'll just have to point it at your retail installation.

https://fsnebula.org/knossos/

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Welcome! And feel free to join the Discord server too, that commonly results in more rapid-fire help with getting setup.

https://discord.com/invite/QFdueKEYrN

Thanks Cyborg17. I will do install knossos. But what about MediaVPs 4.4.x  ? Is it useful ?

Offline Cyborg17

It's a set of visual upgrades.  There are other campaigns and even standalone games on knossos, and a lot of them end up using the MediaVPs.  If all you want to do is play classic FS2 as few changes as possible, then you don't want it.  If you want an improved graphical experience, you do want it.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
You make it sound like your original box version is broken, but that may not be an issue now. If you install Knossos, it will first ask you to point to the folder of your FreeSpace installation. It will then download and set up your FreeSpace 2 Open builds (basically: the modded .exes with the tons of new features implemented by the Source Code Project) and let you download user-made mods as well. These include the aforementioned MediaVPs, which are the graphical updates.

Since you asked about OpenAL: It is mandatory, and I think Knossos instalsl it automatically. If not, just Google OpenAL, click the first result and install it. It takes a minute.

Once you've successfully installed FreeSpace Open (abbreviated FSO) and the MediaVPs (MVPs), then select the MediaVPs as a mod, then click Play. If it launches and you see a non-2000-quality GTF Ulysses in the tech room, then you're good to go.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
WOW! 17 years.  That would have been not long after the introduction of Hardware Transforming and Lighting (HTL for short), which started off the model upgrade craze.  Just don`t expect EVERY model to have been updated since then.  I think the Argo is the last holdout, though it DID get texture upgrades.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
There's the Dis and Boadicea.

For the record, you could replay Freespace 1 if you want. You just need to install Freespace Port MediaVPs, which is an adaptation of Freespace 1 to the Freespace Open engine (+ its own set of MediaVPs for a couple things). But instead of Silent Threat, please install and play Silent Threat: Reborn - a very high quality community remake of the expansion.

There's also a topic regarding choosing what to play next: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=80688.0. A bit outdated but has a lot of relevance even at this moment.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Hang on a second, back after 17 years? You're fooling no one cicada!  :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
There's the Dis and Boadicea.

Right, forgot about the Boadicea, but the Dis DID get an upgrade.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
If it did, then we can't blame anybody for not noticing, can we?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Ok, it works, I have knossos 0.14.3 and Freespace 2 open V21.2.0  :nod: except that it is a QWERTY configuration and I have an AZERTY. Do you know how I can change this ? Because it the teaching lessons, none of the keyboard keys are corresponding  :rolleyes:

I use a sidewinder force feedback 2, it is recognised by knossos, but it seems the "force feedback" is not activated : I feel the "afterburner" in my joystick but except that no other force  feeling in the joystick

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Press F2, and rebind as needed 👍👍
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

By the way, it seems that somebody has questionned the title of my message. I have checked my timeline and indeed there is a small mistake : it is not 17 years but...exactly 20 years ago that I played FS and FS2 and Silent Threat ! Yes, I'm back to my first loves ;-)
So I thank all of you that help me to sit back in the seat of my ship.

This qwerty is really ennoying : all keybord keys explained in the training missions are different than on my azerty. I have tried to rebind but there are so much keybord keys that it is now a mess.  :banghead:
Even on my Sidewinder Force Feedback2, I don't know witch function to assignate to the buttons. What a pity, I would loved to play again Freespace 2, like hours and hours spent 20 years ago...

Offline Cyborg17

There is a patch for that in the works, iirc.  z64555 is our controls coder

good  :). In the meantime, I will try to find the good keyboard key to continue the pilot training :D