Author Topic: RELEASE - Shivans  (Read 39729 times)

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
I just downloaded your Shivan campaigns, installed the most recent version of the FSPort, and Cobra's patched mission files.  However, I've tried installing this in a couple of different ways.  First, I put the Shivans mod folder in my FS2 root directory.  I also tried putting it in the FSPort mod folder.  At this point, one of two things happen:  Either the campaign isn't recognized in the Campaign Room, or it is recognized, but the only ships are Ulysses fighters with no weapons.

Any ideas as to why it won't work?
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The mod.ini for this says

secondrylist = ,fsport,mediavps;

In other words it's assuming that you have your FS1 port in a folder called fsport and your media VPs in a folder called mediavps. Do you?

If not either rename the folders or edit the mod.ini file. Remember that if you edit the folder names other mods may now start to fail so my advice is to edit the mod.ini.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
I edited the mod.ini file, and I still have the same set of problems.  Everything started going bad when I reinstalled FS2 from my retail CDs in preparation for the release of 3.6.9.  I think I might have gotten a bad FS2 install.  I'm gonna rip everything out and try using one of the online installers.  Could it be possible that my CDs have bought the farm?
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

i still got the disrupter problem...since i don't know what to do with the fixed campaign files. mind telling us how to use them? not all of us are as smart as you you know.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline neoterran

lol

put em in data/missions in the mod folder
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

i tried that. nothing happened :confused:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I have fsport2_3.vp and the campaign worked fine..untill the 3rd mission.

I have to defend the Minnow, but all I got is INTERCEPTORS as PRIMARIES?????

My attempts to fix this by editing the mission file manually(Notepad) or by extracting and editing the weapons and ships tables have failed.?????
I kinda figured, since the mission loadouts use Prometheus and hte tables use Prometheus S, if I edit one all should work fine. Nothing changed.. Go figure...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline neoterran

I wonder why various people are having so many problems, both campaigns are flawless for me...
Chief Grognard.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Have you tried using the most recent FSPort release?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
More importantly have you moved your media VPs out of your main FS2 folder yet? Cause I'm not lifting a finger till I see a fs2_open.log that says you have.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I wonder why various people are having so many problems, both campaigns are flawless for me...

Even in the INFA engine. :P

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
More importantly have you moved your media VPs out of your main FS2 folder yet? Cause I'm not lifting a finger till I see a fs2_open.log that says you have.

What has that got do do with anything?

I have the port and the BRShivans.vp in a separate mod folder, if that's what you're asking.

But this looks like either a problem with a mission file (loadout) or the weapons table..

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Here's why.

If you're pig-headed enough to ignore SCP best practice with the media VPs then you're probably pig-headed enough to ignore it with mod installation. I've already decided that if you think you know how to install the SCP better than I do that you're on your own when it comes to technical problems. But I don't want anyone else wasting their time trying to help you out without warning them that the problem is likely caused by your own bloody-mindedness.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
You lost me there bub... :confused:

Mayhaps you're confusing me with someone else :nervous:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well it's easy to check. Run the debug build and post the fs2_open.log file.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Other than just cluttering up the main FS2 directory, what the hell is the problem with not putting your mediavps in a seperate folder? I've seen so much *****ing about it, but i've never had a single problem with just leaving them in the main folder.

Offline neoterran

all i can say is it works great with the patches if you have a proper SCP setup.
Chief Grognard.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
all i can say is it works great with the patches if you have a proper SCP setup.

The campaign?  I still need Cobra's campaign fixes.

INCIDENTALLY, for people having problems after putting the campaign fixes in data\missions, you must restart the campaign in order for them to take effect.

I.e. Put the fc2 files in data\missions (in the shivans folder), launch FSO, go to the campaign room, select phantoms and hit restart campaign, then select echo gate and hit restart campaign.  Then select whichever one you want to play and go from there.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Other than just cluttering up the main FS2 directory, what the hell is the problem with not putting your mediavps in a seperate folder? I've seen so much *****ing about it, but i've never had a single problem with just leaving them in the main folder.

1) You can't play retail.
2) You can't play multiplayer without hacked table warnings.
3) You can't turn off the media VPs by simply selecting no mod and typing -mod Shivans,FS1Port to check if that is the problem.

Before we went over to media VPs in the mediavps folder we were constantly plagued with people asking questions about the first two or requiring testing that would have been much easier if they could do the third. So we slowly moved over to the mediavps folder being the standard. While there is no concrete reason why you can't install them in root if you don't wish to do either of the first two things it does mean that you're operating against SCP guidelines. And if you are then the first thing you have to do when you do have a problem is operate within those guidelines and see if your problem is fixed.

If you don't wish to do that then fine. But don't expect anyone to help you solve your problems if you can't be bothered to make it easier for us by following standard operating procedure.