Author Topic: Post Capella, would another Colossus be built?  (Read 64577 times)

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Re: Post Capella, would another Colossus be built?
And a jump drive, it'd definately need a jump drive!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
To drag this fairly interesting thread back on-topic, I'd also agree that a second Colossus, or at the very least a Colossus-esque project, would be something that the GTVA would most likely consider if at all possible.  However, I'd also expect that presumably-limited resources would be first directed toward more manageable projects, such as advances in the corvette/frigate range, or more specialized anti-capship weaponry.  The GTVA has to know for a fact that nothing at all (or at the very least, nothing in the foreseeable future) could make any sort of dent in a full-fledged Shivan invasion.  In lieu of coming up with some method of doing so, focusing on improving current technology against what would be feasible immediate threats would make the most sense.

That being said, I did come up with a specialized weapon that seems somewhat feasible and would be invaluable against any future Shivan encounters.  In "High Noon," we saw that the Colossus's (albeit overloaded) beam cannons were capable of out-ranging those of the Sathanas.  We also know that the main beam cannons of the Sathanas were each able to be destroyed with a single double Helios volley, a damage level well within the GTVA's current beam weaponry limits.  So...why not take advantage of all of this?  With sufficient levels of fire control accuracy, and a beam with coherence (but not power) equal to that of the Colossus's main guns, it seems to me that it would be feasible to develop an anti-turret beam cannon, capable of disarming main beam weaponry from a fair distance away.  Throw a few of these on a corvette or destroyer, and you'd be able to cripple an enemy before it could return fire.  After that, send in whatever ships you want to finish the job.  Specialty weapons like this seem like they'd offer the GTVA their only chance of surviving any future encounters with something at the level of a Sathanas.

How about increasing the range and damage of the Stiletto II (Stiletto III :D ), and either making a gunboat (sorta like an AC-130) or a rapid-fire turret on a capship... ah, nah, make it a gunboat so I can fly it around!  ;)

The part about getting GTVA ship beams to prioritize enemy subsystems/high-threat turrets shouldn't be all that difficult to do.  In a normal ship battle all non-slashers randomly select an area to fire on, sometimes picking subsystems or turrets/beam batteries (when I put a Colossus or several Orions in the blindspot of a Sathanas, their beams always end up locking on and destroying between 1 to all 4 of its BFRed cannons by the time the Sathanas goes down).  In-game, simply a matter of upping the turret gunner AI, while in-universe you only need modifications to fire-control computers for better accuracy and priority targets.

Offline Fozzy

• Wokka wokka wokka!
  • Wanabe A Mighty Modder
    • Fozzy's Myspace
the way i see it, the GTVA put all there eggs in one basket...

the same amount of beam weapons mounted on smaller craft would be far more powerfull because the collosus could only use half its arsonal at a time (brouad side).
The Terran VolksWagen Project - Lol
"that was a little too close, we gota wait fifteen mins to change our shorts" = (snipes, FS2)
I can whoop your ass with my LOGITECH

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Sure. And the reactors?  :wtf:

You need an incredible amount of energy!
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Vip

If the Vasudans were to move their butts (or whatever they have in that place) they could surely create efficient reactors. If not, you can always add some Deimos-class reactors on the hull of the Colossus, just like the additional fuel tanks (not those bomb-looking ones, but the ones installed on the hull) on an F-16. Sure, they would be vulnerable for attacks, however they would certainly deliver the needed power. If used only for shooting, a Deimos has IMO enough power to power 2 or even 3 BGreens or oeven 1 BFGReen.
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
They're known to have efficient engine reactors(Interceptor missile, GTCv Deimos), not all kinds of reactors :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Vip

Perhaps... though the tech-room states only that "their Vasudan-designed reactor core provides more energy per ton than any other allied ship class". IMO they don't have seperate reactors for engines, beams, life support, C.O.s TV set and God knows what else, but just one responsible for everything. Look at modern carriers - they have one nuclear reactor, that produces all/most of the energy.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net

There's a reason the Battleship has been pushed out of naval warfare in modern times.

And that reason is the ballistic missile! And the FreeSpace equivalent is......?

Beams can be accurate and powerful weapons, big ships are just big targets.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well acording to the tech description of the deimos beause it has vasudan designed reactors ot os able to power 4 slasher beams loads of aaaf weapons and have a very high speed! So that makes me belive vasudans are better at designing reactors! So if they moved they buts as stated above and strugled to produce some more powerfull or eficient reactors they would surely be able to make the Colossus and most every other ship faster and more deadly then it already is!
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I know, but the Vasudans seem good at creating engine reactors, not all kinds of reactors. All GTVA ships should have a Vasudan reactor, otherwise...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Engines =/= Reactors.  Reactors feed power to the ship weaponry/subsystems AND its engines.  The engines draw on power from the reactors to propel the ship forward/activate subspace.

On another note, Vasudans have better beams than their Terran counterparts (SVas is superior to the SRed and SGreen, VSlash is 2x as good as TerSlash, BVas is in between the LRed and BGreen in terms of sustained damage output).  Not to mention, they make reactors only beatable by Shivan design.

Now, just think of the power a Vasudan/Shivan reactor could produce.  Take a look at the Lilith and you can see how insane that would be (a small cruiser with durability comparable to a corvette, decent top speed and a LRed for capital ship killing).  If they made those kinds of reactors for the Colossus, it wouldn't need to overdrive its reactors for 'High Noon' since it could support LRBGreens as standard firepower (I would've preferred to fit LRBVas since the Vasudans have better beam weapons as I mentioned, but the heatsink issue still exists, though if you use Shivan materials that could be solved).

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Uhm, I thought the Vasudan beams were strong...but not at this level! The VSlash is 2x a TerSlash! Incredible!
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Vip

I know, but the Vasudans seem good at creating engine reactors, not all kinds of reactors. All GTVA ships should have a Vasudan reactor, otherwise...

What ships ? Fenris and Leviathan are old; such a refit would be very expensive, especially given that there are very many cruisers in service nowadays. The same comes to Orions; the refit still would be very expensive and the Orions already have enough power for their broadsides. We know nothing of Hecate or Aeolus; however we know that the Vasudans have problems with refitting their old ships - see many system failures on Typhons that were refitted with beams and possibly new reactors to power up them. Add to this problems with compability, and you'll see why older Terran crafts are not equipped with it. Take into account, that Orions were replaced by Hecates and cruisers were supposed to be replaced with Deimos, so a refit wouldn't be needed.

Also, I still do not believe they have many types of reactors. The reactor in the Interceptor is just that - a reactor. Not engine reactor. It's just that the reactor has nothing else to power besides the engine :P a subtle, but important difference. As far as it makes sense to have multiple reactors for different systems - the cost and space needed would make it very hard to implement. Also, the phrase "engine reactor" or "weapons reactor" is never used anywhere in FS, and everything points us to ships having ONE reactor plus something small for backup power (for lights, gravity, life support).

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I was refering to all kind of GTVA craft, fighters and bombers included. The Ares has a Terran engine, if I remember well.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Vip

Actually, we have no idea how many Vasudans were employed in Nankam Aeronautical while designing the engine or the fighter itself ;) Given that the Nankam NA-27f is supposed to be a powerful power plant after all... Hey, maybe the Terrans actually learned something from Vasudans ?

Uhm, I thought the Vasudan beams were strong...but not at this level! The VSlash is 2x a TerSlash! Incredible!

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Weapons_Database_%28FS2%29#Turrets

Check the damage values for the TerSlash and the VSlash.  I was slightly wrong, the VSlash is slightly MORE than 2x the power of a TerSlash  :shaking:

The SVas also deals slightly more damage than the SRed and does so at a slightly better rate of fire.  BVas does a bit less damage than the BGreen each shot but in the end it wins out by having a faster rate of fire.  Why the Colossus wasn't equipped with Vasudan beams I have no clue, especially since it was Emperor Khonsu's idea to build it.

Again, a reactor simply generates power for other systems to use.  A ship could have a Vasudan reactor because it provides the best power output, but have Terran engines because they can convert/use the power more efficiently.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
The Terrans Bgreen does more damage than the Vasudans Bvas.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

The Terrans Bgreen does more damage than the Vasudans Bvas.

I did say that.  read the part about BVas doing slightly less damage than the BGreen but having a better rate of fire (which is more important when engaging large targets like a Sathanas or multiple warships).

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I don't think the Vasudans worked for Nankam Aeronautical. It would be strange since they have their own industry giants and Terrans can simply buy the results of their research from them.

As for the Colossus, remember that in a game like FreeSpace there's more Terran stuff than Vasudan stuff. The Colossus is ebsentially Terran, and Terrans have plenties of ships(Amazons, Argo, 3 classes of cruisers, many spacecraft). They don't even have a heavy transport like the Argo. But Inferno solved the problem  :cool:
The Lightblue Ribbon