Author Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT and RELEASE: Merkar Restored  (Read 13225 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: ANNOUNCEMENT and RELEASE: Merkar Restored
I'm going to be brutally honest here, this campaign needs a truck ton more playtesting.

First off, installation. I got the Everything in one pack (356 mb) file. But had to manually alter the mod.ini to point to mediavps_3612, because it was set to just mediavp, which is .10 stuff but it won't even run under .10. Also, the music folder was not in the data folder. So I had to throw that in manually

The first mission is okay, a bit confused at first where I was suppose to be going and why the spectators are stuffed in cargo boxes but whatever.
Had to destroy a mirror after that .
But even though I apparantly had failed to protect the spectators, I could just continue on with the mission. Aright, im cool with that.

Start of mission 2. And this is where my mind is just blown. Cause test playing your mission once should have gotten at least half of these problems :/
First off, the destroyer has an initial velocity of 50. Your ship has an initial velocity of 0. And you are inside the destroyer's hanger bay. *crash*
I was then told to link up with the mercs. Then I was told half way that I needed to protect a convoy ship that was like 10000 range away. Then after linking up with the mercs I was told to return to the destroyer. Then the convoy ship died because a suicide freighter crashed into it. Which prompted alpha 2 to start praising how well that convoy ship that just got blown up was shooting. or something.
The directives to destroy the unidentified ship remained incomplete the whole mission unwards.
Then the federation started attacking us
And all the cargo got destroyed because I was just hiding behind the destroyer. (no shields, hull down to 9% ) aaaaand I got told to return to the destroyer again!

despite ****ing everything up. I was allowed to continue the campaign. Okay.

Mission 3, O****HEREWEGOAGA-*CRASH*
Yeah, same deal as the start of mission 2.
Have to defend some ship. Get told that Solomon wing is dangerous to this ship. But Solomon wing has a flight path straight next to the destroyer. which picks them off one by one. So not much to defend there. Ship jumps out. Solomon wing is now at #29 (yay for nearly endlessly respawning wings!) and more ships start jumping in. I died 10 minutes in.
meh.

What little I got from the plot, it seems pretty interesting and I want to see whats up next but... the mishmash of ships thrown together combined with poor mission design is just killing this for me. You got zero choice in weapon and ship loadout. Just the Talon, just boring subach pew pew lasers (why does it have 2 banks? there is nothing to equip!) and three banks of dumbfire missiles  :sigh:

Well, there you have it. My unsalted opinion

Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Firartix

• Random Noob
I wouldn't say it's that bad but... i played only the few first missions so far... and it's real strangy.

Here's what i findz iz kool:
1/ Including music! Boo!
2/ Removing standard wingmen voices. They get incredibely annoying when there's no VAing and stuff happen in a different universe or something.
3/ Gliiiiidiing is just thaaaat coooool !
4/ The debriefing advice on M2 about emptying missile racks.
5/ The Rosalind Franklin freighter thingy based off a Fenris... i find this ship serious coolz

Less cool stuff:
1/ I dun liek the musik ! ... okay, that's just personal opinion  :nervous:
2/ Still, no music on briefings ?  :confused:
3/ I was amazed by the fact that you have to protect the Spectators in the 3rd mission, but you don't have to bother about the VIPs around.
4/ During several missions you take off the destroyer while it's still moving. First time i played it, on insane, it went "Commit - uh wtf? - bang! - weapons failure - .... aaiiight, restart" in just 3 seconds.
5/ During the mission with the cargo ship & the mercs, the "long range cannons" wing thing is total weird. It got waves of 3 ships, coming as soon as you killed previous ones... and there's 25. So you can sit back at 300m of their warp-in point and fire away. I'd say 3 waves of 6 ships with different warp-in and some delay would be much better.
6/ This might just be the AI but... the Panters either fly plain straight, or go doing rolls at insane speed...
7/ I dunno wether that's AI settings, the fact i'm trying to play on Insane, or something, but allied capships turrets and AAA looks freaking way too much precise. Seriously.
8/ Either i'm a morron or i skipped campaign start briefings (which is basically same) but i didn't really understand in what context the story takes place.
9/ Lack of weaponry variety? I just hope there's more later...

So far all i can tell is that it's somewhat strangy and seems like lacking some testing but it got good stuff too.
Still looking for time to finish it, i stopped at M3 ..  :nervous:

Finally, a question. First mission is called "Merkar3"..... Are we missing two D: ?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
7 and 8 are definitely your fault :p
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

I am glad to finally have some honest and critical feedback. I appreciate the details and screenshots, MatthTheGeek.

The initial velocity issues definetly could have been caught if I did some external play testing. Myself, I always afterburned out of the fighter bay at mission start.

The design in Mission 2 regarding the unknown ship is awkward. I was trying to follow the original mission and should have gone for something simpler.

There is certainly a lack of variety in load out; I didn't expect this to be as evident in just a four mission campaign. But it certainly was.

The first mission is called Merkar 3 because the first two were cut out; they weren't particularly interesting but they were in the original release.

Again, I appreciate the feedback. I am toying around with ideas for the final campaign and play testing would definitely be a priority next time around.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
That's a funny way to spell Spoon  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Oh, I meant the other Spoon. Sorry about that.

A patch to the campaign has been made using the suggestions made in this thread. Thanks, guys.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
That's encouraging. Keep it up! :yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Okay, been through it.
I can say it has certainly been interesting. Let us start:
1) Congratulations on using little known FS ships! Although I already knew them, the fact that I never met them in game before just gave the game a good feel, really setting it apart.
2) The story is interesting, I'd like to see more about it.
3) Some ships have minor problems with their descriptions, mentioning shields (what, when, where? ME WANT!)
4) First off, no head ani's. there are a ton of them available from starlancer, give 'em a try!
5) some ships have 0 mass, they just get spun around like mad when hit... weird....
6) that daegon/invincible robbed me of all the pleasure in M2. it picked up other ships like flies. I did nothing but sit back and watch. However spoon, why the hell did you go to the mercs first time? reading the briefing gave a pretty clear idea you had to hook up with the mercs ALONG with the convoy
7) the last mission was really interesting, first time I see something like this!
8) why do you stuff people into containers dude? at least change their alt name....
9) most of the missions do require additional polishing... a lot of it, they seem very rough and unpredictable
10) I felt very ignored in some missions by the enemy... however when I got noticed I didn't feel a lot... except very, very fast death..... Strong weapons+weak hulls=quite some fun, but big difficulties! DO NOT, under any circumstances, make missions longer than 5 minute in these conditions....

Thanks for the feedback. Removing shields from everything certainly changes gameplay and creates an eggshells armed with hammers dynamic in most missions. Making shorter missions and weakening the friendly capital ship might help things.

4) First off, no head ani's. there are a ton of them available from starlancer, give 'em a try!

Noted. Personally I find head ani's annoying. But if other people like to see them perhaps I will add them to future campaigns.

9) most of the missions do require additional polishing... a lot of it, they seem very rough and unpredictable

Yeah, as Spoon said, playtesting is needed. Which is kind of what this thread is for. If you have any additional specific changes you'd like to point out that I could implement I'd be pleased to hear them.

yeah, i have. If you're serious about this, get a team and a board! and get some internal beta-testers:D

LE: And here is what I can do for you. The rest IS up to you!

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Merkar
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 12:23:03 pm by ktistai228 »

Whoah there. I have enough on my hands already.  :p Thanks for the Wiki article though. I don't think I'm ready for a team and a board yet.

at least pitch a description in there!!!

Sure, I can do that at least.