Author Topic: So, not sure if this has been discussed...  (Read 20557 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: So, not sure if this has been discussed...
There's one problem I see with it all. This system, combined with an automated installer/updater (Turey's installer would do the trick) would be quite foolproof on the user end, but fairly complex to implement and maintain.

The system we have right now is easy to maintain, and easy to explain.

Why, I ask again, **** it up in favour of a more complex system?
My thoughts exactly. One reason would be "end user friendlyness", but I don't think it's worth it. All I originally asked for was a simple "outtakes-revert script changes" VPs. I could most likely make one, but since I can't access Mediavps SVN, I'd rather cobble individual fixes together manually, for my personal use. That is, when I actually need to fix something beyond extracting a few bitmaps. But you said some people would misuse the pack and complain (and I'm not denying that it's true), so I though about a system which would fix that problem. And then it got ridiculous. I'd happily settle for the original compatibilty VP proposal, which is simple and if somebody misuses it, he just needs to learn to read.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And all I am saying is that it is FSU's responsibility to keep track of all the changes, and communicate them transparently. We can't do all the compatibility work for all campaigns, but we can make it easy for the people who do that sort of work.

I am of the opinion that it is easier for all concerned when compatibility packages are created for each individual campaign and then distributed via the installer. In other words, what we have been doing so far. It has worked in the past, and there's no reason to assume that it will suddenly stop working.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The problem is, making individual packages takes a lot of time. Making a since compatibility package for 3.6.12 wouldn't take too long. You don't have to test it with every campaign (just with one or two, the least buggy ones), just make sure it mimicks how old VPs worked and has all the assets removed from the main pack. That's all. Other people may confirm other, more obscure campaigns to work with the package. They can also report ones that don't work. Since such a package would be strictly a troubleshooting measure, it should be expected it won't work everywhere.
FSUP may keep doing their job and churning out proper upgrades, but they also tend to become outdated.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Iunno, whenever I feel pissed off about this I just go an make my mod independent from the mediaVPs.
Copy everything required over and all, proceed to NEVER WORRY ABOUT IT AGAIN~

This way you don't require anything for your mod (and can even make it standalone!)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Iunno, whenever I feel pissed off about this I just go an make my mod independent from the mediaVPs.

This way you don't require anything for your mod (and can even make it standalone!)

Although that may increase bandwidth requirements, thinking about it, that is in fact the best way to handle this, if you want to be sure your mod runs.  If you want to be double-sure, include the FSO executable it was designed for.  Otherwise, you get people running around trying to find 3.6.7 to get an ancient mod working that people have forgotten.

BTW, I can't compile 3.6.9, TortoiseSVN just says it's done and that's that.  I'll make another thread for this issue, unless someone can tell me off the top of their head what's wrong (I followed instructions for the url to use (svn://svn.icculus.org/fs2open/branches/fs2_open_3_6_9) and it just says it completed at revision 8786 and it puts a hidden .svn folder in, with pristine, tmp as subdirs and files named entries, format, and wc.db

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You realize you have to use a compiler to compile the code after you grabbed the SVN, right ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You realize you have to use a compiler to compile the code after you grabbed the SVN, right ?

You realize that that was not his problem?

It seems that the 3_6_9 branch of the svn is empty. So no wonder no checkout could be made. If you want to have a 3.6.9 equivalent build, check out trunk revision 4499.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.

Well, this is what I do, but unfortunately, this wouldn't work for everyone. I'm not asking for a compatibility package for myself (well, I would benefit from having old effects stashed somewhere, but that's it). If it was just about me, I can handle adapting mods to new Mediavps for personal use.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
It seems that the 3_6_9 branch of the svn is empty. So no wonder no checkout could be made. If you want to have a 3.6.9 equivalent build, check out trunk revision 4499.

Done; thanks!  (I'm assuming you use svn://svn.icculus.org/fs2open/trunk/fs2_open and select "Revision" and type in 4499, right?)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Correct.

Offline FelixJim

• User 11092
I'm just jumping in to give a +1 to the current system. You can't try to tell another mod how to do things just because you've made the decision to have your mod dependant on it - I think the FSU team is already going somewhat above and beyond in providing the help modders need to update their mediavp-dependant mods.

I can't help but feel that if you're not going to have the time to maintain your mod (understandable) you shouldn't make its use utterly dependant on something which is constantly changing (I feel stupid in having to admit this applies to FSO itself, but the FSCP appears to have taken responsibility for maintaining compatibility simply because FSO-dependance is more or less impossible to avoid without sticking to retail and rendering their efforts completely wasted. The mediavps differ in that your mod can make use of them without being reliant on them.)
In-Mission Techroom Script v0.4 - See information from the techroom in game
Simple Animation Script v0.2 - Make your own on-screen animations for FSO
Visible Waypoints Script - Makes waypoints visible in-game
Run From File Script - Get around the pesky 31 character limit for script-eval

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
The mediavps differ in that your mod can make use of them without being reliant on them.)

Emphasis mine. That right there. I don't know why how or where anybody ever got the idea of making a mod specifically dependent on how the MediaVPs are structured.

And by making the MediaVPs adhere to "Upgrade Retail only" the solution is simple: If your mod will run in FSO with Retail assets, then it will also run with the MediaVPs.

The problems with older mods is when they would take a ship, apply ONE of the tiles from the MediaVPs (not retail) to their ship and then expect that tile to stick around forever and a day. And then one day that tile disappears and their ship now has a massive hole in the side of it or whatever. Or worse, is completely invisible. Or maybe they would copy a model for making alterations to it, but since they never changed any of the maps (despite the model no longer being the same) they then end up with a broken ship.

That's the part that needs to stop. That is the practice that we need to not continue carrying over from the past. That is the problem that keeps mod.ini edits to update the version from being "guaranteed" as something some one can do without having problems.

Because by making the MediaVPs an enhancement to FS2's Retail Assets and Effects, what it SHOULD work with is any best-practices mod that is ALSO capable of operating under the same. Any additional customization beyond that needs to be inherently present in that mod in order to retain an ability to continue working as intended regardless.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline gloowa

A tiny bit of thread necromancy. Slap me if i am out of line here.

I skimmed over the thread, and i won't pretend to know how exactly asset loading looks like, but couldn't next version be released as a delta from previous version?
So lets say i have versions A, B and (newest) C. (in their respective mediavps_X folders)
If i run mod that has B in ini, it will load A, and than override everything it needs to with B.
If i run mod that has C in ini, it will load A, override with B, and then override with C.

I'm sure i am missing something that makes this impractical/impossible (hmmm... on Univ they taught me that in programming, there is nothing impossible, some things are just very expensive...) but it seems to me like an golden compromise?
Adm. Petrarch: For your excellent record of confirmed kills, you reached status of Ace.
Laporte: Dude, WTH are you doing in Indus briefing room?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Please don't take this personally, I genuinely see where you are coming from but

NO

GOD

NO GOD PLEASE NO

NOOOO

NOOOOOOOO

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The reason is dependency hell and install instructions and end users changing folder names

Offline gloowa

The reason is dependency hell and install instructions and end users changing folder names
right. that's the part i missed.

perhaps it could still be done as an optional pr0-users-only install? My issue is bandwidth actually. Downloading things larger than 1GB takes several days for me :(
(256kbps, don't ask.)
Adm. Petrarch: For your excellent record of confirmed kills, you reached status of Ace.

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
perhaps it could still be done as an optional pr0-users-only install? My issue is bandwidth actually. Downloading things larger than 1GB takes several days for me :(
(256kbps, don't ask.)

I feel ya bro  :( I'm on a 512 Kbps connection... But I think the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few here, unfortunately.
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
An option would be to torrent the mediavps for future releases.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
right. that's the part i missed.

(256kbps, don't ask.)

The issue is that most people have an inflated sense of their own competency when it comes to computers. Install instructions, no matter how clearly written, are routinely ignored. People who would be better off using automated installers will go and try manual installs "because that can't be hard, right?".

By issuing "pro" packages for advanced users, we just invite people to **** up their installs. That is a bad idea.

Offline gloowa

The issue is that most people have an inflated sense of their own competency when it comes to computers. Install instructions, no matter how clearly written, are routinely ignored. People who would be better off using automated installers will go and try manual installs "because that can't be hard, right?".

By issuing "pro" packages for advanced users, we just invite people to **** up their installs. That is a bad idea.
You won't get an argument from me here. Every day in my work i have to fix the mess that users made of their computers by trying to fix some issue they are having by themselves.

The undisputed winner managed to crash his linux workstation by updating glibc to version that requires newer kernel. How did he manage to do that without root access is still a mystery to me...