Author Topic: Just Another Troubleshooting Thread  (Read 142918 times)

Offline Axem

Re: Just Another Troubleshooting Thread
Ah shoot, that's very unfortunate. :( Was there any error message that came up, or just a flat crash to desktop? How many times in a row has it happened? Are you using that special fonts table?

And can you get me a debug log of just you starting JAD? No need to play the mission or anything. Winning that mission with debug on... that would be very painful...

I think I had a similar problem there too; something related to the VN script. IIRC it bounced to desktop but I was able to continue.

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
I had one crash while it was loading the boss title and another crash after the battle. The third time I finished the whole thing without crashing.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Axem

There are still bugs with bitmap loading and stuff, so those may come up if you play for too long. Just restarting the game will cause them to go away (for a little bit anyway). I did try and make all checkpoints bring you as close to where you may have died, so hopefully not too much progress is lost.

Offline CKid

Quick question, were you playing as Holley or Delta 1? I just did a replay earlier this week and it happened to me as Delta 1. I ended up replaying as Holley and it worked fine.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
Mine went the other way around; I played as Holley for the first two attempts, but for my third I switched to Delta 1 to make things go faster, and that worked.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline SL1

Ah shoot, that's very unfortunate. :( Was there any error message that came up, or just a flat crash to desktop? How many times in a row has it happened? Are you using that special fonts table?

And can you get me a debug log of just you starting JAD? No need to play the mission or anything. Winning that mission with debug on... that would be very painful...

Flat crash to desktop. I've tried it three times, with the same result each time. I don't think I'm using a special fonts table, unless that's the default for the Knossos version. The only table I messed with was the one for HUD gauges, to replace the lead indicator with the lead sight and move the talking head gauge closer to the scripted message gauge.

Here's the debug log:
https://fsnebula.org/log/5e1bbc04cb0d330e698b7ee2

Edit: One other thing. When I launched the debug build to get the log, this error message came up:

Warning: $Rotation time too low; this will disable rotational collisions. All three variables should be >= 1.39
Fix this in ship 'GTF Ezechiel#Omega'

File: ship.cpp
Line: 5230

Quick question, were you playing as Holley or Delta 1? I just did a replay earlier this week and it happened to me as Delta 1. I ended up replaying as Holley and it worked fine.

I was playing as Delta 1.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 06:52:49 pm by SL1 »

Offline Axem

There's like nothing in the debug log that seems out of place. Good video card, good screen resolution... :blah:

Can you post that lead indicator table? I want to try it and see if causes me to crash to.

Try the mission as Holley and if you still crash then I'll give you a special mission file that will skip the fight and bring you to the post fight scene with stunning plot twists (hopefully without crashes!)

Offline SL1

There's like nothing in the debug log that seems out of place. Good video card, good screen resolution... :blah:

Can you post that lead indicator table? I want to try it and see if causes me to crash to.

Try the mission as Holley and if you still crash then I'll give you a special mission file that will skip the fight and bring you to the post fight scene with stunning plot twists (hopefully without crashes!)

I don't know if you're seeing it now, but I edited my post to add an error message I got when launching the debug build. That might be relevant, too.

Here's the lead indicator table as well. You might not remember, but you actually helped me set this up a while ago. Thanks again for that. I enjoy the game a lot more with it.

Edit: Okay. This might be all my fault. I didn't do anything with font tables in JAD itself, but I did have a different font table in the MediaVPs folder, because I was finding the default font too small in regular campaigns. I didn't quite know what I was doing, but there was one campaign I downloaded (I think it was Storm Front) that had a larger font, so I just copied all its font stuff into MediaVPs, and it worked. I tried deleting that table, and when I opened the JAD mission again, I got a checkpoint menu, which I wasn't getting before. Before I deleted that table, I was having to restart from the beginning every time.

I'll have to try it again now. If it turns out that that table was the problem, then I'm really sorry for bothering you guys with this.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 07:21:56 pm by SL1 »

Offline Axem

*Crosses fingers*

(That debug error you got is harmless so you can just continue through it.)

Offline SL1

Looks like the font table wasn't the problem. I just got the same crash without it. Time to try the mission as Holley, I suppose.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 07:35:14 pm by SL1 »

Warning: $Rotation time too low; this will disable rotational collisions. All three variables should be >= 1.39
Fix this in ship 'GTF Ezechiel#Omega'

File: ship.cpp
Line: 5230

Not that it would be really heavy but I had a number of things that threw out warnings (missing MOI data, some not found subsystems IIRC)... dunno if it has been fixed yet.

Offline Axem

I think the models missing MOI data are no collide objects that PCS2 can't calculate the MOI because they're not continuous objects. And maybe a skybox or two. I did make sure the models that needed the MOI had it though.

The missing subobjects one, yeah, I just couldn't bother to fix that. I know it says the game may crash but I don't think that ship is in this mission we're having trouble with and the mission doesn't do anything with the missing subsystems. I never hit any crash that I suspected was related to it. I think there's one or two like that.

Allrighty. :) Just in case you want to get rid of the MOI debug warnings, the simplest way is to make them in PCS, then click on a different category (turrets, subsystem or whatever) so you have a MOI of 0s and 1s. It doesn't do anything bad but AFAIK but the warning is no more.

Just for information only

If you run multiple controllers and use Vjoy with Windows 10 then devreorder is your best option to get Vjoy in the top 4 slots since for me Windows 10 scrambled all 7 of mine and put the Vjoy an stick at 5 and 7

All is working well now

Offline SL1

Unfortunately, playing as Holley doesn't work for me either. Still crashing.

Offline Axem

Kay, please put this in /data/missions in your jad223 folder.

This is the mission with a debug flag on that automatically defeats the boss after a few seconds of the fight starting. If it still crashes, try the debug build and let me know what errors crop up from that.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Offline SL1

Kay, please put this in /data/missions in your jad223 folder.

This is the mission with a debug flag on that automatically defeats the boss after a few seconds of the fight starting. If it still crashes, try the debug build and let me know what errors crop up from that.

Thanks. After I got past that point, there were no more problems. Man, I was way off about that being the final boss fight.

Really great campaign. I know I've been all complaints so far, but I enjoyed the campaign a great deal. The next time I'm introducing someone to FS2, I'm going to point to JAD as an example of how far the community has pushed the engine to do things it was never intended to do (as well as it just being very entertaining).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 03:24:25 am by SL1 »

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Uhmm. .

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=91783.0

All the links in the main post have 404'ed. . . Can't download. .  :(
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Axem

Everything is fine, just a slight url malfunction. Situation normal. No need to panic!