Author Topic: Official PCS2 Feature Request thread  (Read 120160 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Official PCS2 Feature Request thread
I just realized that, while messing with a ship that had its center off to the side of the middle of the ship, that it would be really nice to change that.  As in, change the actual coordinate center of the entire model, not just the center of mass.  I realize that could be a very painful addition, as I imagine it would require recalculating every vertex coordinate, but, if it were possible, it would make it so much easier to add pof data, having it being symmetrical.  Or, is the pof data based on the center of mass and not the center of the model?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I didn't read the thread to check if this had been requested, but is a grid possible? A labeled one?

Offline Water

I didn't read the thread to check if this had been requested, but is a grid possible? A labeled one?

Do you mean like which way X, Y and Z are?
If it is, then I've started work on some icons that should help - once i get a break from testing.

@Bobboau
Is it possible for Z lock to be greyed out when xy constrain button is active? So you will only be able to chose X or Y
And the same deal for the other constrain buttons. If so - I'll add greyed out icons.

Offline Water

Will these be suitable?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well the movement constraint and projection options ones I like better, the axis lock ones look nice, but I think they are a bit confusing, for one thing the x,y, and z don't seem to be positioned in any particular way, and the little lock graphic sit's next to y all the time, as for texture controls... I'd just prefer sticking with cubes or other generic geometry.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I have officially adopted several of those BTW.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Water

Here is another attempt at the axis locks - Since the grid is now in place the lock icons can be simpler.

And can the grid be set to grey ( the white may be too overpowering ) or just add another colour option setting?

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I kinda like those texture control icons...the thing is it should be a FS ship, not some random one...like a Herc or perseus or Orion ;)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Water

I kinda like those texture control icons...the thing is it should be a FS ship, not some random one...like a Herc or perseus or Orion ;)
Err.. you don't want to see my attempt at a Herc   :ick:

@Bobboau
(pcs2.exe)
Using the 3 constrains and 2 locks is too much

Suggestion:
1: - get rid of the lock buttons. use left mouse for X, middle for Y and right for Z
or
2: - get rid of the lock buttons. left mouse for x, right for z and Y ends up being used on both.
or
3: - keep lock buttons.  (eg - for xy constrain) clicking X will toggle Y off, clicking X again will unlock X and ungrey Y

The grid gets displayed for the model AND a smaller grid for the item you are editing. This makes finding the edited item (eye point etc) a bit hard since it is surrounded in grid. Maybe just keep the main grid. Part of the problem is that the default item placement is 0,0,0? so you need to switch to wireframe to find it. Any one using the grid may not find the item straight away. Or you could make the default normal 10 instead of 1. Maybe a fighter/capship toggle with cap ships set to 100 or something.

Also the texturless solid mode seems to use just black (no lighting), and on a black background...  ;)

I think you will need to add three views for ortho mode - front view - side view - top view
Most people tend to switch to one of the ortho views for precision placement when modeling, and this would help a lot.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
and another features turns green on the list (.cob save implemented)
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Couple of requests and a question
1) A refresh or reload from file button on the toolbar.
2) (Reminder) A button to view/load the texture file (open in explorer default, custom PCS2 viewer, over the main 3d window, doesn't really matter)
3) A standard untextured view mesh colour (probably just grey). I can't tell how it decides on a colour currently, but on some models it's just way too dark to see.

Not quite sure if this is a bug, but currently there's no way to actually view the result of your texture changes without saving, and then reopening the model. Should there be an 'apply' button in the texture editor chunk maybe?
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
3) A standard untextured view mesh colour (probably just grey). I can't tell how it decides on a colour currently, but on some models it's just way too dark to see.

it's supposed to be grey.. i dunno wtf is going on but i have noticed the problem
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I think it's using the texture map but no UV coords.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
1) A refresh or reload from file button on the toolbar.

...button in the texture editor chunk maybe?

done, sig.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Texture reload works great, but I couldn't find a reload from file button on the toolbar?

Also, the reset view in the view drop down menu needs to trigger a redraw the window. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
oh, I thought those were the same, you want a full model reload?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Yeah that'd be great thanks. It's not the kinda thing you'd think of as being particularly useful, but I quite often find myself using modviews one.
Twisted Infinities

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well the only reason I ever used modelview's reload model button was to reload textures or to check on changed I made to POF data, so it seemed a bit redundant here, but if you really want it I'll see what I can do.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Water

I gave pcs2 to someone who hadn't done pof stuff before. Once he had the hang if it , he had no problems using it and getting models into the game. Four models pofed in two days. His only comment was about the views be settable to hot keys to make setup faster.

Nice work  :yes:

If any of these are useful...

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ok, I started messing around with an open-texture-externally button for textures, but I have hit a bit of a quandary, in terms of what I shall do when the texture loaded came from a VP.
Kazan, does PCS2's VP library have the capability to extract any given file from a VP into any given directory? that would be nice, I could extract to a temp directory and open from there, and I could add an extract to folder button in there too for any textures that are in a vp.

water, if you are feeling frisky, I could use a 'reload model' button a 'reload textures' button and a 'open texture externally' button the model button must be no more than 24x24 the other two can be slightly bigger or smaller, but must be the same size as each other.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3