Author Topic: Rudder pedals in FS  (Read 3776 times)

Offline Something

• Will Voice act for any mod
I have looked through the forums for an answer to this, but have found none that helps. Having just gotten for Christmas (merry Christmas to you all) Saitek rudders, I wanted to use them in FS. Sadly, FS does not detect the movement of the rudders in the control options. Is there any way to use rudder pedals in FS?
Done voice work for :
TBP Relic mini-campaign - Released
Warzone Campaign
Olympus Burning

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
You will need to use third party software to bind the rudders to the proper keys.  The controller may have come with something to do it. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
If you can find a way to bind the movement to the 'z' axis in control config, you're good to go.

I recall they featured BtRL in Popular Science once (though they didn't say what game it was). The condition around this was that some chap made a static Viper cockpit "console" with Saitek flight controls. This included the X-52 HOTAS flight controller and rudder pedals, so it is definately possible to do this control scheme in FSO.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Re: Rudder pedals in FS
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone found a way to configure the saitek rudders. The best I could do so far was assign the rudder axis to press a key (and then assign the key to bank left/right in FS2) in the saitek macro software, but this is suboptimal since the button doesn't stay pressed and when you twist one way and twist back the ship will roll one way and go roll back before the pedals reach the deadzone.

Anyone have any luck assigning the pedals to the rotate Z axis?

EDIT:

Turns out I found out how to assign the pedals to roll in freespace 2 using the Saitek macro programming software. You have to create a rudder pedal profile, then edit the "bands" section in the rudder controls. I just set 0-33% to NumPad9, 33-66% to nothing and 66-100% to NumPad7. NumPad7/9 being the default keys for banking left/right. I couldn't find how to assign one axis to the other, but this solution seems to be working fine.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 06:03:37 pm by belgerog »