Hosted Projects - Non-FreeSpace > FringeSpace

General Fix-it Guide to Tachyon

<< < (3/3)

deathspeed:

--- Quote from: Novachen on March 13, 2017, 08:53:54 am ---And you missed the most important part.

Especially if you use the Steam version, or a retail version, you need the updated hw_3dfx.dll that you have to extract into the game folder to get working nebulae in 3dfx.

--- End quote ---

Good to know; thanks!

--- Quote from: JGZinv on March 13, 2017, 05:24:57 pm ---Concerning these parts:

6.  The patcher on our website which has been there for years, applies 36R and doesn't take more than a couple seconds. Novalogic's can take hours (not kidding, seen it).
http://www.fringespace.org/?page_id=61

8. GameCopyWorld granted has been around a very long time, but a lot of stuff on there is questionable, and you don't need an adblocker for our site.
Any of the mod EXEs we have, all have the same no CD patch integrated in them. http://www.fringespace.org/?page_id=61

9. WinRar?  Why not 7zip..?  Open source, it's 2017.  http://www.7-zip.org/

I appreciate the posts to try to clarify there's more ways to do things, but I do post Steam things on the Steam Tachyon group.
We've been trying to support Tach since 2006, there's no reason to expose yourselves to questionable file sources.

--- End quote ---

Thanks!  I posted in the steam group that I could not get it running on Windows 10, but I didn't get any responses that helped me.  :)

My steam version already had the patch applied, but for CD versions this is very useful info.

I've used GCW for years for no-CD .exe's, but I hate steering people to it, especially with the ads disguised as downloaders for the files you are looking for.  I'm all for better alternatives, but I wasn't aware that Fringespace had fixed .exe's.  I wasn't looking for mods, so i never even considered using one of them to fix my issues.  Any chance that you could host a vanilla fixed .exe there, or make it a little clearer that they will fix issues with modern operating systems?

Winrar - I was just quoting the Steam post, but I personally use 7z myself. 

As I am not very familiar with Fringespace, maybe you could post a new guide on Steam with these modified instructions?  And/or maybe modify the first post of this thread, since the "Broken Tachyon" link on Fringespace comes here?  Anything to help people new to the game would be good.  I was ready to just write off my money spent and stop trying to get this to work, but I'm glad I persevered!  I may check out some of the mods on Fringespace.

JGZinv:
I check the Tach Steam once in a while, been having "a lot" of family health and financial issues the last 3 months or so, so it doesn't come to mind necessarily.
Here I have a link in my daily sites, Steam I do not, activity there's been off and on, much like Facebook, and the handful of clans that still exist, but don't have a Tach presence anymore.

Since we're on the subject and you may not be aware, outside of the guide on YouTube I have for running Tachyon multiplayer over Tunngle, multiplayer is dead.
The lobby is there, but there's a length issue in the exe being able to accept the new IP (which may have even changed since THQ acquired it).
So as far as mods go, you could host a match to more or less look around in, or play up to a point with modded ships. There's a ship check of some sort in one of the maps
I think after you get exiled that breaks things if you start with modded ships in campaign. Without a more featured map editor it's hard to tell.

That's the other part of the coin that we used to have a Sunday game even if just 2 people showed up. Me and Darixita we're probably the last two to still play regularly.
The effort in getting Tunngle running, seemed to be the last straw for many.  Win 10 didn't make things any easier, there's a pair of errors with installing old plugins for rad game tools or
direct x 6 components that is the most common of anything. The 3rd place issue generally goes to the no-cd patch. Overall it's hardly much different error wise than it was years ago.

Looking at THQNORDIC, as far back as Dec anyway, doesn't appear to be any news on any Nova properties.  I posted a comment, trying to reach out to them. But they really only want
design teams with an established portfolio to contact them for licensing arrangements, so they aren't really public facing, like a support line or forum where they interact much.

JGZinv:
I caught up a number of new posts at Steam.  Appears THQ did reply that they have no plans to fix multiplayer currently.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version