Hosted Projects - Non-FreeSpace > FringeSpace

THQNORDIC Buys Novalogic

<< < (3/3)

jr2:
Does this work to make IPX usable (I think you could also use Kali or something I've heard)  http://www.morpheussoftware.net/git/

JGZinv:
Kali I believe died, I haven't been able to get their site to load for a long time and I faintly remember something about them shutting down.
It did work over Kali for a time, as it was a psuedo lobby.

The Gamer's Tunnel there would work for 1v1, but it doesn't seem to have any lobby system.

What we proposed, and did work, and I made a tutorial for on YouTube... was Tunngle, which is a lobby and free.
The problem more or less is that the Novaworld or similar to PSO here, Tachyon had a "netplay" mode that uses TCP/IP, and the LAN mode uses IPX only.
We lost access to the TCP/IP mode because when Novalogic moved server hosts, the IP became too long to hex edit into the exe, and causes tremedous instability.

IPX translated through a wrapper, to a Tunngle, does work... but is progressively worse and ever more laggy for everyone. But it was all we had.

Basically people that did play considered the whole setup process too much for an old game, and multiplayer died there.

jr2:

--- Quote from: JGZinv on August 23, 2017, 01:29:26 pm ---Kali I believe died, I haven't been able to get their site to load for a long time and I faintly remember something about them shutting down.
It did work over Kali for a time, as it was a psuedo lobby.

The Gamer's Tunnel there would work for 1v1, but it doesn't seem to have any lobby system.

What we proposed, and did work, and I made a tutorial for on YouTube... was Tunngle, which is a lobby and free.
The problem more or less is that the Novaworld or similar to PSO here, Tachyon had a "netplay" mode that uses TCP/IP, and the LAN mode uses IPX only.
We lost access to the TCP/IP mode because when Novalogic moved server hosts, the IP became too long to hex edit into the exe, and causes tremedous instability.

IPX translated through a wrapper, to a Tunngle, does work... but is progressively worse and ever more laggy for everyone. But it was all we had.

Basically people that did play considered the whole setup process too much for an old game, and multiplayer died there.

--- End quote ---

Tunngle, eh?

Here's some alternatives, but I'm not sure which one offers the least latency and best IPX support.

JGZinv:
it still doesn't change the fact it's yet another series of steps to get an old game working for a handful of players.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version