Author Topic: Call of Duty 5  (Read 8775 times)

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
Anybody played it? I get it free with my Mobo on Newegg, wondering if it was any good. I also get a fully patched version of Clear Sky with my Graphics Card.

You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
According to HT:

Pong is a better game than COD5

;)

IMO the only good thing about it is Nazi Zombies. Otherwise it's worth one playthrough and that's it. Not played much multi though, from what I've heard the multiplayer is pretty crap too.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Its a pretty standard Call of Duty fair, which was great back in the day but by now to me at least is a little stale.  The Pacific Front really didn't add much to the series, the the island clearing nature of the fighting made the infinite enemy respawn mechanic CoD employs a pain in the ass rather then enjoyable or a new dynamic.  Especially at the harder difficulties trying to clear a path through a rats nest of trenches and bunkers ends up being a trial and error thing rather then a seamless run of combat.  I actually enjoyed the Russian Front much more, there were parts were shooting down fleeing enemies was actually kind of disturbing, which i consider a good trick in a FPS.  I thought the soundtrack and loading screens were pretty awful, the music was "modern" and didn't really fit WW2 and silly graphics in the loading screen once had a modern CVBG instead of Essex carriers and Fletchers.  Of course there are some pretty cinematic moments that CoD usually can provide the Marine Landing Ops springs to mind.  Overall though i think the change of setting CoD4 introduced makes this sorta feel like a step back, and thats even with me going quite a few years without playing a WW2 shooter.  Its certainly pretty and if your still up for a CoD type WW2 game then its worth the ride, otherwise I am enjoying Rainbow Six a lot more.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
I've played it for the PS3. I think I prefer COD 4, but this one's still pretty good.
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
i like the audio in it beter than 4 (which sounder often like old 2) and co-op, but still feels like a mod for 4, espicisally online

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
If you have a choice, go for COD 4.  The new one is basically a stand-alone mod for it, but with crappier guns and story.  The storyline for COD 4 IMHO, was one of gaming's finest.  The two buoys that make it worth playing at all are the flamethrower and nazi zombies, and the zombies lose to Russians and Terrorists.

Also, at least for XBox, COD 4 has a lot better multi and more people.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
it seems like there is one convention for shooters these days (they have to appeal to a global audience):
Fight Nazis, terrorists or (alien) monsters. And all seem to use very WW2-style guns with the usual gambit of shotguns, pistols, machine guns and sniper rifles   :lol:  Nothing creative like fighting a oppressive Combine state in Half-Life 2 anymore. My hopes for a refreshing shooter scenario are on Precursors. But enough of that. Singularity looks okay too. *note to self - you said enough*
CoD5, Killzone 2, Gears2, Resistance2, a new Wolfenstein...            ...give me something new :)   
Well, on to the game itself, it's standart CoD. A mod for 4. Simple, primitive and feels cloned.
Story is nonexistant, it feels like "best-of-zweiter-Weltkrieg"

assuming you have CoD4 and are bored...
buy:
PC: Crysis   (or even Half-Life 2 if you don't have that)
XboX: Gears 2
PS3: Resistance 2
all three but wait until April: Riddick

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 06:44:49 am by Vidmaster »
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
From what I heard and saw here, I won't even bother trying CoD5. I mean, WTF is "nazi zombies" ?

Perfectly satisfied with CoD4.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
a mini-game. You defend a house and Zombies in Nazi uniforms try to storm it.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
I suppose there's a reason why it's being given for free with my Mobo.

. <--- There it is.

If you are getting it for free, why not try it out? I got it as a Christmas gift and I had a good time with it. The Nazi Zombie mini game that you unlock after finishing the campaign is actually pretty fun. I can't give any info on the multiplayer portion, I'm stuck with dial-up.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Nazi Zombis on my friends PS3 its an absolute riot. Much more fun playing split screen than anything else I suspect :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Don't. Buy Half Life 2 or CoD4 Modern Warfare. Preferably Half Life 2 (Buy the entire orange box while you are at it).

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
I've never played any other CoD games, so I suppose this "WW2" setting won't have the same droll effect on me as many others. Although I do wish it would move on.

According to X-Play in 2007(?) We've been storming Normandy Beach for more than 40 days in total play time.

. <--- There it is.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Well, points to COD WaW (It's NOT COD 5!) for not having something as fun as storming Normandy Beach.  Instead, it sticks you on Japanese beach after endless Japanese beach.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
According to X-Play in 2007(?) We've been storming Normandy Beach for more than 40 days in total play time.

You know, I've played every CoD game that's out for PC, and not once have I stormed Normandy Beach.

Medal of Honor Frontlines.  Normandy scene ripped straight from Saving Private Ryan.  And I'm sure there are a few other WWII franchises that have you storming Normandy.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Instead, it sticks you on Japanese beach after endless Japanese beach.
I bet that happened to be true during the war.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Medal of Honor Frontlines.  Normandy scene ripped straight from Saving Private Ryan.  And I'm sure there are a few other WWII franchises that have you storming Normandy.

Medal of Honor is not Call of Duty, last time I checked.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
What does X-Play say on nukes? Cause just the other day, I caused at least 10.