Author Topic: Transcend Voiceacting Call  (Read 25270 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Transcend Voiceacting Call
Reason: I got picked for a major role by the vocal person of a mod after auditioning and then I did the 80'sh some odd lines of the script he sent me for it. After sending them in I was cut entirely due to conflicting opinion of the Devs. Seems the Sound guy got overruled about using me at all.
This is indicative of poor mod management.  If you land the audition, you have the right to expect that your lines will be used.

If the developers change their mind or disagree, there should ideally be some concessions offered to the person who took the trouble to voice the lines.

Offline FoxtrotTango

• "...in a way, you've stolen his soul."
Reason: I got picked for a major role by the vocal person of a mod after auditioning and then I did the 80'sh some odd lines of the script he sent me for it. After sending them in I was cut entirely due to conflicting opinion of the Devs. Seems the Sound guy got overruled about using me at all.
This is indicative of poor mod management.  If you land the audition, you have the right to expect that your lines will be used.

If the developers change their mind or disagree, there should ideally be some concessions offered to the person who took the trouble to voice the lines.

I had the same mindset about it. The failure of proper communication led to you being given the short end of the stick. The sound guy made the decision to have you read all of those lines without the approval of his superiors? It's not your fault and it's not the superiors' fault. It's the sound guy's fault. I know better than to say "Oh, go ahead, you get the role. Here, read these fifty-or-so lines and I expect them in by Tuesday" because I don't have that authority. I may be directing the voiceacting, but Ransom's the one who has the final say when all is said and done, because he's the one who made the campaign in the first place. If you land a role, it's because he said so, not because I did. I would be overstepping my bounds and compromising the entire project if I just suddenly said "Hey, you! Wanna be the big hero?"

All of that aside, I was only requesting that you record a few audition lines from other roles so that we could have a broader sense of what we could do with your voice, that's all. I'm trying to give you the chance to find a role easier and one that's better-suited for you too, not making you read ten pages worth of quotes based on a hunch.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
NP... That's what I was aiming for (in an overly verbose way). If you thought I was channeling myself towards on particular role, I wasn't (just whatever was open).

Just by scanning what others have posted here earlier, I myself have pegged people in my mind as perfect for X,Y, or Z roles I needed filled, even if they weren't trying for those parts specifically. That's how I picked up Rogue Angyl for Capt Kramer, before the RT project got hosed.) I can understand not wanting to delegate voice authority, heh, I wouldn't for my projects.

Also that's why I have links to everything (that I manged to save) that I have done. This should be ample material to see if R's got a use for me.

If not, like I said earlier no prob... I just appreciate the consideration of my audition.

http://www.4shared.com/file/124832478/329d1122/blueplanet_Getter.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/89774511/5f1764d0/for_slasher.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/66445503/3248397d/Getters_samples.html

Best emotive work
http://www.4shared.com/file/69932287/9d92e677/EACW_Lines.html
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 06:35:58 am by Getter Robo G »
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline FoxtrotTango

The second script revision is finished! Now me and Ransom are going to step out from our bunker and start making choices. Within the next week, I'm going to contact all of the people who have sent in auditions and let them know to be ready for our verdict.

Sorry about the long delay, everyone. We'll more than make up for it.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
 :D

I'm still really hoping I'll get the part. It also gives me an excuse to go out and buy a mic.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline FoxtrotTango

Ladies and gentlemen, we've chosen our first voiceactor. Dellaciel has landed the part of Samantha Rikas!

This change will be shown by green text on both the voiceactor's place on the list and the role she's taken. However, I'm not going to cross out the audition lines for Samantha because they may just be able to help place the Terran female voices. I'm going to update this topic whenever someone has landed a main or significant role, and if anyone lands one of the multitude of minor roles, I'll send them a private message containing their role and their lines. If you want to share that you got a part from there, feel free.

We've hit a milestone, so you don't have to wonder if we're going to start picking roles for VAs anymore. Now the only question is when. If you want to find out more about the voiceacting progress as it happens, keep a close eye on this thread and you'll be the first to know.

Keep up the good work!

(Also, our auditions list is still below the magical 42 that I'd prefer, so if you've been wanting to wait until the last minute to try out, go ahead and send in your auditions. We'll try our best to accommodate you.)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
When I'm able, I'd like to audition for Davies.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline FoxtrotTango

When I'm able, I'd like to audition for Davies.

When you're ready, send in your lines and I'll be happy to listen to them. Just remember that you're more likely to get a role if you don't limit yourself to one position.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Ach Nein!

Every time this gets a reply my heart skips a beat just in case I get chosen. . . :shaking:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Who are you trying to get, anyway? :nervous:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Not looking for anyone. I wouldn't mind the Generation but i'm putting my eggs in Ransoms basket of choice.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
I did all the lines on the topic header except for all female and vasudan roles. It was pretty fun. If I get a part I will purchase a better mic. I've been meaning to get a good one anyways.

https://www.qdrive.net/en/download/sharelinkdownloader.php?id=125529&key=53EDr2vO8hNxx6Mm7XX6PL5x6CzHGx5M83D

Let me know if the link does not work. It should though.

Edit: Qdrive has let me down for the last time. Here is a mediafire link
http://www.mediafire.com/?19fu9fxdzq70907
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:47:51 pm by bigchunk1 »
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

No means a professional voice actor.

Did my best to test out the parts.

Although I'll have to admit they got better the further down the list I got more into it i guess.

I guess a tip is to read some of the roles your not into first and save the ones you want to do last as your probably better at it in the end for us non-pros.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nh5ziwwtyni
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 02:57:46 am by vortex-5 »

Offline FoxtrotTango

No means a professional voice actor.

Did my best to test out the parts.

Although I'll have to admit they got better the further down the list I got more into it i guess.

I guess a tip is to read some of the roles your not into first and save the ones you want to do last as your probably better at it in the end for us non-pros.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nh5ziwwtyni

That's a good idea to pass along. Thanks for sharing that with us, and I'll take my ear to your samples soon.

Ransom and I will be going down our list of total auditions tomorrow and finding out which roles would be best for each person. I've got plenty of time to focus on this now that my spring semester of community college has ended, so expect faster progress.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
My sister came over for the weekend so I got her to do all the Female lines. I also did the Vasudan lines so now between me and my sister we did all the lines!   :doubt: :ha:

https://www.qdrive.net/en/download/sharelinkdownloader.php?id=127793&key=2OhJxXON6ExN7XMBD917MsDBj2EjXK9XAMA

Edit: link update
http://www.mediafire.com/?122pyzdsz901tu8
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:48:55 pm by bigchunk1 »
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Darkblade

• Lurker
    • The Babylon Project website
Hmm, and I thought I had sent my auditions to this a long time ago. Guess I should stop eating so much candy so I wouldn't get sugar highs.

Anyway, here are my auditions for Marcel, Sinclair and The Silent Eye: http://www.mediafire.com/?koqtywnuimf
Mauri Darkblade Majanoja

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Well, it has been a while...

...If I may ask without being a nuisance, has there been any progress in selecting further voice actors?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline FoxtrotTango

Alright, you guys deserve an explanation. The lack of progress has been mostly due to my real life taking a big chunk of my free time out, and I had to let a few things fall to the side. Helping to start a family business is a very difficult and time-consuming process that's more stressful than it really ought to be. But I'm not going to let this thing die just because I suddenly have my hands full. I was hoping that Ransom would keep it going in my stead, but it seems we've both been busy, so I've chalked my hands and decided to give it another go. And this time, I'm not going to wait around for the perfect voiceactors. I'm going to work with what I've got, regardless of whether this is your first or hundred and first voiceacting role. We're going to get started fast, we're going to work through it fast, and we're going to get it done fast. And we're going to get it done right.

Now, I need to know who here at the HLP is interested in joining up or coming back for another run. Let me AND Ransom know through PMs and we'll get started ASAP.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
May I make a few suggestions?

You haven't updated page 1 post since last April

According to your post you have my audition lines but haven't bothered to Listen to them.
That means me (and 3 others) reposting is moot.

You won't get anything done right by doing it "fast".
To quote Goober: "That is indicative of poor mod management." ;)

You have a page full of actors that were willing to help, yet only ONE had actually (officially) gained a role?

I'd start by listening to the 4 people you missed for evaluation and then making decisions of the 18 total, formerly available people..

Make you're decisions from what you had available and Contact each one to say "I'd really like you for X role, are you still available?". If so they get that role, if not, you're recasting it and remove their name from the list immediately.

It's not cool to have people send stuff in and then get left twisting in the wind.
It makes them feel like you don't care, have not actually bothered to consider them at all, or have no mod management.

Casting lines should never be touted out in the beginning unless you're doing a project with universally known roles (ie everyone knows "Kirk" is in it for example).

Audition lines should be something like:

Pilot chatter -
Command personnel -
Political minion -

ect, you see utterly generic.

That way you don't have 50 people trying to get the same named role.
I was flattered when I heard someone like my line for character-X, but I bet everyone else who went out for it was kinda miffed when the Voice coordinator said that publicly when like 5-7 other people just got done auditioning for it on the same page.

If you do make a "cast list" public, then you need to keep it updated and when a role is taken, remove it from the list. There is no reason to say the name of the actor doing that role at this point.

You contact them privately and congratulate them, and confirm if they are indeed still interested in committing to that role.

When they reply affirmative, then you send them the script of all their lines (to be submitted to you as soon as possible).

Individual, specific roles should only be touted out if a voice actor had to drop from the project due to whatever reason.

By this point you should have the VA's hard at work recording their lines (for example, my usual turn around time is about a Week) and any roles they have been dropped are publicly recast due to expediency, "We are almost finished, but do to issues, we lost actors for these roles and need to recast": List the specific missing roles then...

[You also need to listen to new submitted work and send messages indicating revisions or tone/timing/pronunciation problems you need your VA to address on that work.]

You post on Page 1 is most unhelpful.
"2/08/10 - Current Received List added to initial topic. (Blue = received but not discussed. Yellow = received AND discussed. Green = landed a role. Red = dropped out of the cast list.)"

So from all the names listed, how many of those ("received and discussed") would you actually USE, and how many of them would you throw out? I think that would be the priority before you adhoc have people re-audition just for the sake of re-auditioning.

Especially if you never intended to use any of them in the first place!

That's just cruel and ethically wrong...

Someone sees a typical project VA request and then makes an audition line and posts it.
Project member much later posts: "We had an issue could everyone please repost?"
Hopeful VA reposts and eventually gets a email saying, "With all due respect, we don't feel the work is suitable for our mod at this time, best wishes,,,X."

You just strung a perspective VA along for possibly 2 years or more (just an example) and then made them repost an audition, when they were never going to be used by the project in the first place... Damn.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.) Pick a member of your "team" and make them responsible for all VA work.

2.) Go through you archives for any existing auditions and listen to them and make decisions and contact those people...

3.) Re-evaluate your needed VA roles, X-Major, X-Minor amount, and indicate that you need that many slots still filled.

4.) Receive and listen to submitted auditions in a timely manner.

5.) Debate them, make cast decisions, and then contact those people!

IMHO that's how you best incorporate VA work into a mod.
And that's assuming your mod is even READY for VA work at that time.
It's not a good idea to try to cast for a mod that isn't even finished yet unless you need placeholder lines, and those the mod development team can provide themselves to replacement later...

The handling of VA's is probably the most public face of any mod effort and can make a big impression as to: (This is a serious minded production), versus, (This is just a thrown together thing).

Sorry if this sounds a little harsh or may influence my own "chances", but I felt those things needed to be said in the best interest of the community.

:)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 01:46:41 pm by Getter Robo G »
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)