Author Topic: Supreme Commander 2  (Read 19446 times)

Offline Demitri

Supreme Commander 2
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=214486

Sounds like they are ripping the guts out the original. :ick: Obviously need to wait to see more but i'm not too optimistic about this having read the above article.

Thoughts anyone?
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Re: Supreme Commander 2
I'm actually far more interested in it, having read that. SupCom is excellent as is and I don't think we really need its sequel to be more of the same. I'm glad they're moving in a new direction.

EDIT: Found a scan of the article. There's a screenshot. Looks pretty! http://www.overclockers.at/attachment.php?attachmentid=140331&fullpage=1
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 09:54:02 am by Ransom Arceihn »

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
I read about this in the new PC GamerUK mag and i quiet like the idea that square enix is writting the story, as i found the story not that engaging for the first one. Also from the screenshot in the mag, even though its scaling back on things looks like there will still be epic battles, well there were alot of explosions in the screenshot. I just hope it dosen't end up like Dawn of War 2.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
I read about this in the new PC GamerUK mag and i quiet like the idea that square enix is writting the story, as i found the story not that engaging for the first one. Also from the screenshot in the mag, even though its scaling back on things looks like there will still be epic battles, well there were alot of explosions in the screenshot. I just hope it dosen't end up like Dawn of War 2.
I really hope that the core "massive # of units" mechanic remains, if the player unit cap is LESS than 1000, i simply will not buy it.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I really hope that the core "massive # of units" mechanic remains, if the player unit cap is LESS than 1000, i simply will not buy it.

That was Supcom's big problem, really. Staring at the little unit markers zoomed out the whole battle is neither fun nor interesting in the kind of combat SupCom had to offer.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text

That was Supcom's big problem, really. Staring at the little unit markers zoomed out the whole battle is neither fun nor interesting in the kind of combat SupCom had to offer.
i liked it, espicially when you see a line of red units just disappear :drevil:

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
STOP
MAKING
SEQUELS.

Seriously I'm sick of every game being released this year having a number on the end of it.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
This isn't the sequel to complain about. A sequel is only a bad thing if it's just a rehashing of a successful formula or an unnecessary extension of a story, and this is neither. The game sounds completely different and SupCom's universe was practically designed to hold many games' worth of story.

Offline blackhole

• Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
If they had actually made total annihilation 2 I wouldn't be complaining.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
so wait is your complaint that they are rehashing too much or not enough

Offline blackhole

• Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
It's really not a complaint against the game in general, I'm just complaining about all the sequels.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ARRRHHHGG I hate when nice super complicated game decide to dumb things down for the wider audience. I was hoping for MORE complicated interactions and MORE complicated recource management, I was hoping for supply lines and laying power conduits and **** like that.

this is just like what happened to simcity.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
ARRRHHHGG I hate when nice super complicated game decide to dumb things down for the wider audience. I was hoping for MORE complicated interactions and MORE complicated recource management, I was hoping for supply lines and laying power conduits and **** like that.

Let's see YOU make a game like that, and see just how profitable it is.

So, they're taking out the huge scale - the one selling point of supcom - AND handing the story over to the emos?
Oh, sounds....well, crappy, actually.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
It'll still have hundreds of units on screen
It's the economy that's been ditched. Nobody said anything about removing the scale.

I liked SupCom's econ and the take-and-hold style of gameplay it encouraged.  Plus it really felt like you were trying to conquer a planet when you started building mass extractors over 2/3 of the map.  How are they going to change the economy and still have it feel so epic?  I really hope they don't ditch extractors and just have fabricators and power generators.  That would suck.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I'm hoping they'd just make unit production a lot less dependent on one or more of the resources. Personally I didn't enjoy having to build hundreds of mass fabs / power gens etc. as it was very very lengthy and unsatisfying. I wasn't concentrating on the combat - I was concentrating on how best to lay out my resources.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text

yes to supply lines, if those were properly incorperated, it would be awsome
(fuel and fuel depots you must send little trucks to to keep operating...)

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR

SoSE...
and low budget, too.

Not that interested, haven't even played SupCom yet, but I really want to. =/

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text

SoSE...
and low budget, too.

Not that interested, haven't even played SupCom yet, but I really want to. =/
dude, its worth it, the only catch is i found it taking up too much HD for my taste, plus i moved over to sins now