Author Topic: Through The Looking Glass difficulty  (Read 4692 times)

Through The Looking Glass difficulty
I have gotten through to the point where you're supposed to "cause a distraction."  I follow the exact steps, get within the right distance from the right item, but the VERY FIRST SHOT of the "short bursts to not cause detection" causes me to be detected and fail the mission.  I've sunk an hour into this thing trying to get this right, and it's still not working.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Re: Through The Looking Glass difficulty
If you aren't already using Tempests, change your loadout so that you are.

Fire on a container that's in the process of docking, not one that's already filled. Don't use your primaries, just the Tempests; you should destroy the container almost instantly.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, the very first shot should not cause an instant fail.  It's possible that there's a bug, perhaps caused by a change in FSO.  I will investigate.  AFKeeper, what versions of FSO and Scroll are you using?

Antares, I was using Mekhu lasers for the shot, not Tempest missiles.  I'll try the mission again and use those.

Goober, Scroll version was 1.8.0, but I don't know where to find what version of FSO I'm using.  Sorry, I'm still rather new to the community, but if you point me in the right direction of Knossos, I can tell you what I have on this end.  Thanks!

I can confirm that using Tempest missiles worked. 

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The FSO version will be displayed at the bottom of the startup screen.  Alternatively, you can post your fs2_open.log by following the instructions here.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I just looked at the mission, and there should be no difference between primaries and secondaries.  Did you fire the Mekhu from farther away than 100m?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I play-tested the mission myself a day or two ago, and I was able to use the Mekhu to destroy the container without any problems.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:bump:

Turns out there was a bug in this mission, but it only happened for 1/3 of the gas miners.  The 1.8.10 update has the fix.