Author Topic: Can trails be activated in some way?  (Read 3827 times)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Re: Can trails be activated in some way?
i wonder if there's a better way to run those thrusters.

i've noticed, specifically on big shivan ships, some distortion in how those trails are rendered

ah, off to class for me
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline neoterran

hmm a thread about thruster glows where everyone is disussing about 3 or 4 different aspects of them that aren't related, and the thread is title afterburner trails, not the same thing.  Great.

About the orange glows - they look nice.. but the teal glows help distinguish you from a vasudan ship, no ? Orange is a bit... vasudan.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 07:30:18 pm by neoterran »
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I prefer the orange glows because the teal onces are fugly, to each his own.

Should I get my modified glows to Hades combine?

Offline neoterran

might as well make them available. I might try them out, but i'm def. converting them to dds if i do.
Chief Grognard.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
I can convert them

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Submitted VP to Hades Combine, if anyone wants orange burners, they're there (or will be in short order)

All effects are DDS, except for the bombers afterburner trail effect, which the game would not use when a DDS, so it remains a (okay) PCX file. It really doesn't look that bad, and isn't big enough to cause a huge memory drain.

Offline neoterran

Oh, can't see it over there, might take many months for it to appear....

maybe want to consider uploading it to me ? I'd make it myself but i'm lazy...
Chief Grognard.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Sure I would, PM me your e-mail (or something) and I'll send it on over, you might even resolve the issue I had with the DDS bomber trail (I'm not messing with that ever again, it still doesn't work)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
All effects are DDS, except for the bombers afterburner trail effect, which the game would not use when a DDS
There is no reason for it to not work, unless you did something wrong.  What format and dimensions are the DDS in question?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
I found out that the modified PCX didn't take effect either, so chances are I was going after the wrong file, what's the Terran bomber ab trail effect? ABbomertrail.PCX right? So  why isn't it working? I don't suppose I could send the VP to you taylor, and you could tell me what the stupid mistake I'm making is?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Sure, send it to me (to my e-mail if you have it, or PM a link) and I'll take a look.

Since I had a thread about thrusters before and I've poked throught the linked 'old' thrusters, I thought I'd ask a few questions thruster-related.

Is the thrusterglow clipping problem fixable?  Frankly, I'd rather have none than the insane level of dodgeyness you get with things like Apollos and Myrmidons etc.  I've deleted mine, but I don't know anything about 3D coding so I'm curious if it's fixable.

How hard is it to mess with the thruster arrangement/size on a given ship?  Things like the Posieden **** me with the textures showing a bank of many thrusters and the thruster being a single, too-small one.  I'd love to fix it if someone could point me in the right direction - I think things like the Fenris have excellent thruster placement/sizing.