Author Topic: Kamikaze and collision model  (Read 1519 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Kamikaze and collision model
How are the collision model and the kamikaze system releasted to another in the FS Open engine?

I'm asking this cause I've just seen a destroyer set kamikaze and ordered to ram another destroyer blowing up once a it hit a cruiser which had nothing do with the entire affair but was just standing in the way (that had something to do with poor AI orders for that cruiser) --- what screwed up the mission

AND could the kamikaze system be changed to support more realistic collisions?

EDIT: by realistic I mean that 2km long destroyers or 500m long cruiser stop detonating normally and on instant by tipping their target - but would run into their target a bit and than blow (maybe showering the debris on the target ship as well; but I guess that would be too much and undoable)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 04:02:45 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Kamikaze and collision model
Good ideas, the kamikaze thing is messed up right now...

Also, I'd also like to give my own request:
When the ships are intersecting, have a big of spewing particles and explosion stuff to hide it. If that's possible.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
We would all like something like this, but I think it's going to drain too much time, the coders have bugs posted in Mantis to deal with.

Without considering all missions based on kamikaze attempts...there might be bugs(unless the new options can be triggered with a SEXP or in Mission Specs).
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
True, I suppose busting bugs is more important. But this should be pretty high on the list of features to add.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I would like to read the comment of a coder, he should know if this kind of addition is possible. I hope so! ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i wouldnt mind animation friently collisions. as i understand it collision detection is the main thing that keeps stuff like fancy turret configs and submodel translation from working.

also id like some access to collision detection in scripting. the ability to trace a vector and find a collision in the form of a wvector and maybe an object handle to what ive hit and the normal of the coliding polygon. one thing ive wanted to do is walk an object across a surface. like having little repair bots that crawl around the outside of a ship or little mobile turrets that get around the ship on magnetic tracks, also things like battle mechs and tanks which actually follow complex terrain. and basic collision detection is one way to give me the data i need.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 02:59:59 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I totally agree that bug finding/fixing should have priority but I hope for a nice soluction being developed by the community on a long term basis so it might be pacticable one day if it is possible at all (I don't expect anything too soon and I don't expect miracles)

I've just finished a long discussion with a modeler (an outsider to FS_Open) about this problem (but I was unable to convice him to join any of my projects  :( :( :() and he told me that there could be an easy switch-on-and-off-solution
(which would require a lot of work in modeling as he explained)

NOTE: a problem with the following is that we discussed it without acutal knowledge of the collision detection system of FS_Open -- so we took for granted that the collision detection has something to do with the geometry of the model(s) which we usually see ingame; that might be right or wrong but here goes the summary of the what we finally came up to:

Each model in use for the kamikaze maneuver would require a second set of collision-relevant-geometry and a function in the code to switch to this second set instead of the usual one while the visible orignial geometry of the model stays
this would allow kamikaze maneuvers to look as if they would really enter each others (original) geometry without colliding

"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."