Author Topic: Is the Inferno campaign your type?  (Read 15346 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: Is the Inferno campaign your type?
Would be awesome if a second update for the original INF-R1 could be released (says the guy who kick-started and did about 70% of the work for the first SCP update pack), but also receive an infusion of whatever up-detailed models, maps, and weapon effects that the INFSCP team feels would be compatible, as was done for the first SCP patch.  Of course, many of the up-detailed models could possibly have different turret or subsystem layouts, breaking compatibility with the R1 missions... assuming said models are even ready.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Would be awesome if a second update for the original INF-R1 could be released (says the guy who kick-started and did about 70% of the work for the first SCP update pack), but also receive an infusion of whatever up-detailed models, maps, and weapon effects that the INFSCP team feels would be compatible, as was done for the first SCP patch.  Of course, many of the up-detailed models could possibly have different turret or subsystem layouts, breaking compatibility with the R1 missions... assuming said models are even ready.
That idea has been thrown around a lot in the past, but realistically, that would be a lot of work for essentially a shinier version of the same old. Which is why the Inf team is making a completely new mod which won't have **** missions like that second one from R1.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Inferno was the first mod I played and I really like it.
R1 has very FS-ish feeling, I think that it's very close to what FS3 could have been.
Of course, it's not perfect, but mistakes made by Inferno team are very similar to those made by  :v::)
BTW, since INFR2 storyline is no longer canon, did anybody from the team considered releasing it to public?
Maybe somebody (unrelated to team) would even write a campaign based on that script and using the old shipset.
Either way, we'd know what you had scrapped.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I think it's pretty obvious what the R2 campaign would have been about - probably would have included a lot about the "Great Rebellion" guys (the guys who stole the Het-Ka) as the secondary antagonists to the Shivans, replacing the EA from the first campaign, and would revolve around teaming up with the EA to get the Icanus operational in order to kill the Gigas. Probably including a big battle over Earth against the Shivans.

As I recall, there was also going to be an SOC campaign involving the SOC fleet. Apparently the Vinashaak, a planet destroyer that accompanied the Gigas, was going to be the final boss of the SOC campaign.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That doesn't seem that bad.
Vinashaak would be an interesting thing to attack, since it's shielded (I think that's what Notus and Armageddon were intended for).

Offline Snail

• SC 5
As I recall the SOC had their own super heavy bomber. I forget what it was called. Name was in the Armageddon or Executioner tech description.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Wraith Superbomber is mentioned in Armageddon's description, along with Notus.
While we're on that subject, are those still used?
I noticed that there are not many ~100m gunships and even less flyable ones around here, so even if they're old, I think that somebody would find an use for them.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Notus AFAIK is still used, but may well have been dropped.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It would be great if Inferno team dumped everything they no longer intend to use, models, textures, effects, maybe even a mission script for R2.
Community would cetrainly benefit from it.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Definitely.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I only ever played R1.

I didn't finish it because it sucked.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You should finish it before you evaluate it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
While I do agree, I've definitely quit a few campaigns because the opening missions made me think the rest of the campaign wasn't going to grab me (ASW, for instance.) And, conversely, seen some decent if rough opening missions disintegrate into something very unpleasant (Dawn of Sol).

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Inferno Alliance was a bit of a let-down compared to the atmosphere and feel of R1 and S:AH, especially in terms of storyline, but I liked the new ships and weapons.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I prefer campaigns to begin with moderate action, as sort of an introduction to the status quo of the story.  They start out saying "this is how things are, and what they've been like for a while.  Now that we've established that, its time to get things moving and introduce an element that tells you that both a change is upon us, and an unanswered question to pique your curiosity."

In FS2, "Surrender Bellasarius" doesn't do much in the mission action to alter the existing storyline, except to say in the briefing that the GTVA is countering the NTF's attack on Cygnus Prime and will defeat them soon.  In the 2nd mission, you unexpectedly encounter Bosch in the asteroid belt and the unanswered question is introduced.  After Bosch escapes (with another unanswered question as to how), the Shivans show up, introducing the change.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah, that's a very old storytelling device and always works if done properly.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I don't know what I liked best about it... for sure it wasn't about super big ships razing even bigger super big ships to death though, although evolution was nice - you could see the huge gap in technology with things like the Phobos corvette... you just knew it was more powerful yet it looked much simpler than the Deimos... then the Advanced Phobos with all these sleek lines, looking nowhere near as mean and yet it IS meaner in all SOC red lights and blue paint... a huge tech jump, not with FS1 to FS2 where the tech jump isn't right-in-your-face visible.

And don't get started on the horrific body count that happens with such wanton madness firepower... it's just that no one comes to realise it when you have awesome killing awesome in one pass of the cockpit camera... :wtf:

At least the tech descriptions gave bits and pieces of what was to come in later chapters, the usual deus ex machinas and all that... then when I played FS2 it all seemed familiar and then came the feeling of Inferno seemingly like an unofficial FS(insert forbidden number here).

If I had any real modding skill (creating new assets, LUA scripting, advanced FRED) I definitely would've liked to look at the old script, but sadly I don't have such skills...
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I think everyone can agree Inferno R1 had an awesome atmosphere.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
No, I thought atmosphere was one of the areas where it fell down pretty hard.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
For me, it feels very FS-ish, R1 seems close to what FS3 (or it's first half) could have been.
I played campaigns that felt better than INFR1, but they also felt better than FS2 (BP falls into that category, IMHO it's done better than entire FS series).
Of course, that may be caused by the fact that I don't like FS2 too much.