Author Topic: Has anyone completed it on Insane difficulty?  (Read 3851 times)

Has anyone completed it on Insane difficulty?
Has anyone completed Silent Threat: Reborn on insane difficulty? I can't even get through the first mission. I consider myself fairly good at this game, completed many campaigns on insane. But wth, this first mission is like impossible.

Re: Has anyone completed it on Insane difficulty?
It seems so; I'm seeing quite a few results - you can simply enter "insane" into the forum search on the ST:R.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
We, ah -- we never tested ST:R on Insane. :nervous:

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Hm. Not sure if I played the entire campaign on Insane, but I've definitely given a playthrough for a couple notable troublesome missions and they were fine.

Might as well give it a play when I have a moment. Who should I spam with my findings/opinions? :D
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Might as well give it a play when I have a moment. Who should I spam with my findings/opinions? :D

You'll certainly find your victims~ :D

Hm. Not sure if I played the entire campaign on Insane, but I've definitely given a playthrough for a couple notable troublesome missions and they were fine.

If you beat the first level on Insane, please tell me how you did it.

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
Just watch QuantumDelta's video, he has an Insane playthrough on his channel with all but the last mission.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Does STR use Fury AI? I played FSPort with that once... accidently.

ST:R isn't even that bad on insane, mostly. There are definitely way harder campaigns, mostly those that use FuryAI and have hostiles with decent weapons(since Shivan weapons kinda suck). The only mission that I'd say is really hard is "He who rides the Tiger" due to the very high number of Shivan fighters, all the wings have like 5-10 waves set up.

As for the first mission there's no magic trick or some advanced strategy, you just have to be better at dogfighting and utilising your fighter's capabilities. So set up the ETS for optimal Energy/second and use direct transfers to shift it where you need it.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

ST:R isn't even that bad on insane, mostly. There are definitely way harder campaigns, mostly those that use FuryAI and have hostiles with decent weapons(since Shivan weapons kinda suck). The only mission that I'd say is really hard is "He who rides the Tiger" due to the very high number of Shivan fighters, all the wings have like 5-10 waves set up.

As for the first mission there's no magic trick or some advanced strategy, you just have to be better at dogfighting and utilising your fighter's capabilities. So set up the ETS for optimal Energy/second and use direct transfers to shift it where you need it.

Okay, show me.

Alright, here you go.

In case you want to know the loadout it's all Apollos for Alpha, all Hercs for Beta. Weapons are Avenger - Avenger Interceptor - Phoenix V for alpha(with Fury - D-missile for me) and Avenger(4 bank) - Prometheus(2 bank) Interceptor - D-missile for beta.

At the start of the mission press F3 and add all hostile fighter wings to one of the F keys, I did it with F8. Then order everyone to just engage enemy and run in there and draw some fire.

It's fine if you don't kill that many fighters, just go in there and draw fire away from your hercs so they can do some damage. After the fighters are dead if even 2 friendly fighters survive they should be able to clean up, especially beta with D missiles. As soon as you hear the lockon warning press "target my most recent attacker" and drop your current target, friendlies can clean it up, just focus on drawing fire and solid defence. If you added all wings to one F key you'll have way better situational awareness.

Aries will always die to sentry guns on insane thanks to the AI firing at full fire rate on insane so ignore it. Go after the other transport going for the node but watch out for its avenger turrets. Just use your D-missiles here, if all your friendlies die before cleaning up save at least 1 D-missile, you should be able to clean up in time.

ETS settings are 0 guns, double shields, normal engines. Use "transfer energy shield - > laser"(you'll have to rebind it, the default binding is on scroll lock) to pump shields into guns. This is more efficient since shield recharge grants more energy per second and transfers are 100% efficient.

[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Alright, here you go.

In case you want to know the loadout it's all Apollos for Alpha, all Hercs for Beta. Weapons are Avenger - Avenger Interceptor - Phoenix V for alpha(with Fury - D-missile for me) and Avenger(4 bank) - Prometheus(2 bank) Interceptor - D-missile for beta.

At the start of the mission press F3 and add all hostile fighter wings to one of the F keys, I did it with F8. Then order everyone to just engage enemy and run in there and draw some fire.

It's fine if you don't kill that many fighters, just go in there and draw fire away from your hercs so they can do some damage. After the fighters are dead if even 2 friendly fighters survive they should be able to clean up, especially beta with D missiles. As soon as you hear the lockon warning press "target my most recent attacker" and drop your current target, friendlies can clean it up, just focus on drawing fire and solid defence. If you added all wings to one F key you'll have way better situational awareness.

Aries will always die to sentry guns on insane thanks to the AI firing at full fire rate on insane so ignore it. Go after the other transport going for the node but watch out for its avenger turrets. Just use your D-missiles here, if all your friendlies die before cleaning up save at least 1 D-missile, you should be able to clean up in time.

ETS settings are 0 guns, double shields, normal engines. Use "transfer energy shield - > laser"(you'll have to rebind it, the default binding is on scroll lock) to pump shields into guns. This is more efficient since shield recharge grants more energy per second and transfers are 100% efficient.

Holy ****, I'm impressed. You play with joystick?
I thought I was fairly good at the game, but I had no idea you could make energy more efficient that way. HUD is kinda interesting to with all the colors, I've always wondered how I could make it more efficient.
Is there a Freespace school somewhere? haha
Tho you didn't show that it was on insane... I have to take your word for it? :P

I did show it was on insane, look at the ending, I switch to the "statistics" page and you can see the difficulty there. Also it's pretty obvious from the amount of damage I take from those avenger turrets.

I play with a gamepad but my left right hand is always ready to tap a keyboard button, once you get the muscle memory you can do it in less than a second.

I did show it was on insane, look at the ending, I switch to the "statistics" page and you can see the difficulty there. Also it's pretty obvious from the amount of damage I take from those avenger turrets.

I play with a gamepad but my left right hand is always ready to tap a keyboard button, once you get the muscle memory you can do it in less than a second.
Like what, an xbox controller?
Oh yea you did. I didn't even know the difficulty shows up there. I never check my statistics haha. Wouldn't Prometheus be a better weapon? Why did you pick Avenger?

It's not an xbox model but yeah, close enough.

The Avenger is statistically the best weapon in FS1, that's why I picked it.
The Avenger does 80 hull DPS and 54.4 shield DPS with a 1000m range.
The Prometheus does 86+2/3 hull DPS and 46+2/3 shield DPS with a 900m range. So the Prometheus does 6.66.. more hull DPS and 7.733.. less shield DPS. It does slightly less damage on average while also using up more energy and having a slower projectile with a lower range. Shield damage is also generally more important than hull damage, especially if you also have Furies to quickly chew through hulls.

It's not an xbox model but yeah, close enough.

The Avenger is statistically the best weapon in FS1, that's why I picked it.
The Avenger does 80 hull DPS and 54.4 shield DPS with a 1000m range.
The Prometheus does 86+2/3 hull DPS and 46+2/3 shield DPS with a 900m range. So the Prometheus does 6.66.. more hull DPS and 7.733.. less shield DPS. It does slightly less damage on average while also using up more energy and having a slower projectile with a lower range. Shield damage is also generally more important than hull damage, especially if you also have Furies to quickly chew through hulls.
You seem very knowledgeable, experienced and an expert at this. I shall come back with more questions when they arise, senpai.

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
We, ah -- we never tested ST:R on Insane. :nervous:
The first mission is completable, i did it. But there's a mission that is straight out impossible - it's the mission where you have to protect the small capsule ship against shivans. That mission on insane - the capsule dies by 2nd or 3rd wave. And there's nothing you can do about it since it dies to missiles that are fired as soon as the shivan ships get in.

I don't think I had the courage to do it all in insane mode - though i did try to at some point.

ST:R is certainly much harder than FS1 or FS2 on insane.

Does STR use Fury AI? I played FSPort with that once... accidently.

I did that. It's quite an interesting experiment! You can actually fail the 1st mission (protecting the GTC Orff) on insane + Fury AI. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLzvWKYzBIw

At 8:44 you see the vasudans focusing all their fire on the orff, it really gets shredded.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 09:06:26 pm by potterman28wxcv »

Only played FSPort with FuryAI because I forgot some tables in the data folder.