Author Topic: Freespace Open Trailer  (Read 49838 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The only problem I have with it, again a mistake pretty much everyone does, is using jerked off music that everyone and their mother used in their AMV's and trailers for just about everything else. Cheapens the entire experience once you can connect a piece of music to everything. Makes it derivative.

I don't give a f*** who used the music on what before. Music is excellent, trailer is excellent.

Everything else is irrelevant.

No I'm sorry he is totally correct, if this music used that ****ing Requiem for a Tower business I would vomit x 125215

Then vomit. Your loss.

Good music is good music, regardless how many times it's used. You might suffer from saturation, but that's hardly a problem with the song itself..and one that can be fixed.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
No songs from FS itself that fit bill?

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
The only problem I have with it, again a mistake pretty much everyone does, is using jerked off music that everyone and their mother used in their AMV's and trailers for just about everything else. Cheapens the entire experience once you can connect a piece of music to everything. Makes it derivative.

I don't give a f*** who used the music on what before. Music is excellent, trailer is excellent.

No I'm sorry he is totally correct, if this music used that ****ing Requiem for a Tower business I would vomit x 125215

Then vomit. Your loss.

Good music is good music, regardless how many times it's used. You might suffer from saturation, but that's hardly a problem with the song itself..and one that can be fixed.
Yeah, but unfortunately good music can be used so many different times that it becomes associated with roundabout ****tiness and thus the oomph-factor is lost. :(

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!

Then vomit. Your loss.

Sure it can be fixed. Don't use it. There's plenty of good, epic-sounding music out there.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Second test.

Encoding was done somewhat better, framerate is better as well, and I flipped off post processing. Looks better this way as the subspace portals aren't just bright white lights with blue edges anymore, but actually look like they're supposed to. There's also much better definition on pretty much everything going on. I forgot to force full AA though, will try that out the next go around.

Youtube's been horrible all day today, wouldn't let me upload.

An amazing video.

I hope this doesn't come across as nitpicking, but is it just me or does that Argo leaving the Arcadia's docking ring collide with that Poseidon heading in the opposite direction, at about 1:05?

It doesn't ruin it, in fact I'm viewing it for about the fourth time and I only just noticed.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Sure it can be fixed. Don't use it. There's plenty of good, epic-sounding music out there.

There's 2 other ways of fixing it:

1. Fix your own mindset

2. Keep away from the song for a while
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
While the scene looks much better with full AA on, I can't get it to go fully smooth without at least a few notable twitches as the LOD's shift farther and closer.

Hmmms. I'll try lowering the AA, as it's on max allowed right now (32x with 8x supersampling)

edit: Nope. And it'll only do it with Fraps on. At predetermined places. When it's off it doesn't twitch. Belch.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 02:57:05 pm by BlackDove »

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
One small thing I noticed, during the scene with the two Perseus rolling and firing hornets or something, they don't come screaming up from the bottom of the frame at full afterburner like they do in the first one.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Luck of the draw.

Every time you run the "trailer", or the mission more specifically, the things that happen are marginally different.

Offline Kolgena

I wouldn't worry about AA. I still think you should use post-processing though. Don't use the preset "light" though, if you think that's too heavy. I'd suggest something like bloom 85, saturation .63, contrast 1.08, film grain 0.18. Gives it more flavor without obscuring things too much. (Of course, those are the values I play with paired with my own light settings, so they might look like ass on your setup)

Tweak the numbers around until something works. The contrast flag especially can really make a scene look better.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
This forum stole hundreds of hours of my work life

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's still doing it to me :p

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
From what I have discovered, this means "This Forum is run by Monkeys". If this is indeed some kind of insult, at least have the courage to do it in English.
I think TrashMan has a right to his opinion.  Putting it in Latin makes it funnier. :)

Offline Spidey-

Second test.

Encoding was done somewhat better, framerate is better as well, and I flipped off post processing. Looks better this way as the subspace portals aren't just bright white lights with blue edges anymore, but actually look like they're supposed to. There's also much better definition on pretty much everything going on. I forgot to force full AA though, will try that out the next go around.

Youtube's been horrible all day today, wouldn't let me upload.

yeah, it looks like you're having the same problem I was having with FRAPS--the audio desyncs more and more as the cutscene progresses. I looked up some solutions online, but none worked for me. You might try them though. I ended up resyncing by compressing the video length to the corresponding audio cues shot by shot. I wouldn't worry about AA, especially at high res, 4x vs 8x is not really different, let alone 32x. I also do prefer some desaturation and film grain. The edited nebulae effects are optimized for bloom, so if you want them brighter, just use the originals, they're the same, just diff brightness.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Just watched the video, ignoring every other post due to lazy will commence immediately. I thought the voice overs were a bit much. Hearing everyone shouting like that from so many different missions thrown into one mission was just a little... lulz inducing. Everything else was really cool. I was particularly impressed with the way you worked with the viewing angles and ship positioning.

EDIT: Just read the first post, this is really impressive for being one of the first things you tried to do in FRED.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken