Author Topic: Vishnan ratting out the Sanctuary?  (Read 2119 times)

Offline -Norbert-

Vishnan ratting out the Sanctuary?
I just started to replay Blue Planet and just saved the Sanctuary in the nebula... and it got me thinking.

In 50 years the Shivans never found the Sanctuary and just when Bei's wing comes to make first contact the Shivans finally locate them. And on top of that they stuck with a force just big enough to overpower the Sanctuary's own defenses, but small enough to be defeated with the added help of just three fighters.

Now that was either the biggest and most unlikely chain of coincidences the universe has ever seen, or it was a setup. A setup to make sure that Bei & Wing could ride in as the heroes on white horses, just in time to save the day.

Could the Vishnans have given away the Santuary's position and details about their defenses to the Shivans? Or could they even have cooperated?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Vishnan ratting out the Sanctuary?
Or, alternatively, the presence of elements of the 14th Battlegroup drew the Shivans' attention to that area, and they stumbled across the Sanctuary as a result.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Luis Dias

I'd mostly bet that the plot demanded these "coincidences" for the sake of advancing said plot. But they were not coincidences. Clearly, the shivans were on to Bei and pals and somehow stumbled on the Sanctuary. Regarding their strenght, I mean, you could almost say the exact same thing regarding every encounter with the shivans both in FS1 and FS2. "Wow look their forces were the exact match for ours so we could beat them, isn't that a coincidence?

All games are a giant big conspiracy yo

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
I do wonder why the Vishnans wanted the Sanctuary in Sol.
The Vishnans drew the 14th battlegroup to the Sanctuary, but what was in the ship that was so important to Vishnan plans? I'll concede that the Sanctuary is there to make the Vishnans look good in opposition to the Shivans, thus helping them to influence on Bei, but from the infinite parallel universes the Vishnans could had put the 14th BG in, why choose this particular one? I'm pretty sure there's a good bunch of Nagari sensitives on board, since the Sanctuary pilots talks about people put to sleep because they were hearing voices. What happened to those people after the Sanctuary joined the UEF?

Offline Luis Dias

Now that's the important question. It has been asked before, but still it's the right question. All the signs point to "not much good use", since Bei and the Elders seem hellbent on doing "the wrong things" anyway, according to Ken or Laporte. Nevertheless, they could be used to do some "not much good" but interesting things.

I just started to replay Blue Planet and just saved the Sanctuary in the nebula... and it got me thinking.

In 50 years the Shivans never found the Sanctuary and just when Bei's wing comes to make first contact the Shivans finally locate them. And on top of that they stuck with a force just big enough to overpower the Sanctuary's own defenses, but small enough to be defeated with the added help of just three fighters.

It was 5 fighters, not 3 (Iwakura and Tell were with you, remember) and the Sanctuary's home wing only had 3 itself. It's not that surprising you turned the tide :​P
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Not to mention that GTVA's fighters are a piece of state of art, newest technologies and stuff surpassing the Shivan and Terran forces present. (Do tell me, when a lone Destroyer could engage an entire node blockade and walk out alive?)
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--