Author Topic: Character discussion!  (Read 2061 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Could someone post all the little character bios and stories that shipped with the latest Blue Planet? I'll add them to the BP Library.

I suspect not everyone has seen them all, so they might be fun to talk about.

Personal Log, Noemi Laporte

Whoever the Fedayeen leader is, they keep showing up as different people. I wonder if it's a title? A tradition? A practical joke? A lot of decoys?

I wonder if the Fedayeen have ever been infiltrated by SOC. Someone recruited from the Federation military, groomed, selected, pushed into Fedayeen attention...

Somehow I think not. I think the Fedayeen have a crucial advantage over SOC. Some kind of insight that gives them an edge.

And that just brings me back to the first question.

Name: Esmar Al-Faddil

DOB: 21/01/2350

Education: Tertiary.

Current Posting: 222nd Nightwolves, GTD Orestes

Performance Evaluation (Comment Excerpt): Submitted by Admiral Bei - CO 14th Battlegroup: Captain Al-Faddil's excellent rapport with subordinates makes him a natural choice for commander of the Orestes' air wing. After identifying the skills of his subordinates, al-Faddil capably delegates organizational and tactical tasks, enabling his pilots to act flexibly and independently. In any prolonged or intense combat action, I expect that al-Faddil would be a pillar of unit morale. I was troubled by the delay in al-Faddil's assignment to my command after I requested him, although I understand that his time with SOC HESTIA makes a complete review of his files difficult.

During the Great War, as the annihilation of Earth seemed imminent, Vasudan scientists discovered the ruins of an extinct civilization we now call the Ancients. Data excavated at the site enabled the allies to track and destroy the SD Lucifer in subspace.

After the Great War, scientists uncovered more sites throughout Terran-Vasudan space. Though only fragments remain, this interstellar society thrived thousands of years ago. Their empire was more expansive than the current boundaries of known space, and archeologists believe they might eventually uncover a map of the Ancient nodes, enabling the Alliance to travel to systems previously uncharted.

There is virtually no visual record of this civilization, except hieroglyphic forms discovered at the archeological sites and a handful of technological schematics. Major excavations are underway in Altair, Aldebaran, and Deneb, but the data gathered there remains classified at the highest level.

Terran archeologists use a Minoan naming convention to identify sites and major artifacts. Current evidence suggests the Shivans exterminated this civilization over eight thousand years ago. The Ancients believed the Shivans were a race of cosmic destroyers, and that the extinction of their species was an act of retribution for striving beyond their ordained place in the cosmic order.

Recent archaeological findings seem to be artifacts of a species annihilated by the Ancients between eight and ten thousand years ago.

Name: Bei Wen Jian

Current Posting: GTD Orestes, GTVA 14th Battlegroup, 5th Fleet

Performance Evaluation (Comment Excerpt): Submitted by Admiral Armanjani - Commander GTVA 4th Fleet: I cannot deny Bei's superb control of his battle group. He masterfully coordinates his combatants and fighter wings across multiple battlespaces, including strategic action between systems. His willingness to detach forces for distributed action is unusual, and his gift for convoy defense and force protection has been evident as long ago as VEGADEX. If I wanted an Admiral to run a tight, clockwork operation under immense pressure, I would choose Bei. For this reason I advance him as my first candidate for command of the Sol Expeditionary Force.

However, I must note that Bei's rapport with his command is limited. He is seen as authoritative, but stiff and detached, and he relies on subordinates to create loyalty and esprit. This signals a degree of emotional detachment that I view as undesirable. I understand that others disagree.

While he did perform superbly against Admiral Steele in recent exercises, it is my firm belief from observation of the battle reports that Bei lacks violence of action. Although not as conservative or attritive as Admiral Severanti, Bei places force conservation far ahead of other concerns, leading him to pass up opportunities to exploit enemy weakness. He is wholly devoted to the integrity and safety of his ships.

Whether you view this as an asset or a liability to the SEF mission is beyond my power to discern.

On June 18, 2365, Admiral Aken Bosch of the GTVA 6th Fleet instituted a violent military coup in the Polaris system, precipitating the Neo-Terran Front rebellion. Exploiting the spiritual and cultural dissatisfaction of the Lost Generation, Bosch's virulently anti-Vasudan ideology promoted the creation of 'Neo-Terra' as a new center of Terran power. Massive defections in the 6th Fleet, along with the output of the Freedom Shipyards in Polaris, gave the NTF considerable military strength.

In 2367 the NTF was defeated, and Bosch's command frigate, the Iceni, vanished into the nebula beyond Gamma Draconis. The frigate was confirmed destroyed in an engagement between the Shivans, the NTF survivors, and a Vasudan squadron. Bosch was pronounced dead.

What came to light in the years following the Second Shivan Incursion was infinitely more disturbing than the genocidal excesses of the NTF. Bosch's personal logs, apparently recovered from the Iceni, confirmed that the Neo-Terran Front had been nothing but an element in a larger gambit on his part.

As a young pilot during the GTI's Hades Rebellion, Bosch had gathered vast bodies of classified information on both the Ancients and the Shivans. From this knowledge, Bosch apparently concluded that the extinction of the Terran species was imminent, and could only be averted by one course of action. He believed that the alliance with the Vasudans had to be abandoned, and that mankind must achieve some arrangement with the Shivans in order to survive.

Precisely what his plan was remains unknown. Bosch instigated the Neo-Terran Front as an excuse to ransack Ancient artifacts and achieve his own ends. He constructed the ETAK quantum pulse device using information from GTI's Project Nagari stolen from Vasudan sources. He deployed the NTC Trinity to attract Shivan attention to allied space. And, in a callous sacrifice of his own followers, Bosch led a staggeringly costly advance through Capella and into the nebula itself.

The Iceni jumped through the nebula, broadcasting signals from the ETAK device, for some time. After considerable effort, the Iceni made peaceful contact with Shivan forces (which had apparently been stalking it for weeks). Shivans boarded the Iceni, captured or retrieved Bosch's command crew, and then slaughtered the remainder.

Bosch vanished into Shivan space. Shortly thereafter, the Capella detonation occurred. Whether these two events are remotely related is unknown.

It is rumoured that GTVI operatives retrieved survivors and the schematics of the ETAK device from the Iceni.

In the gym, Manuel Brie is very quiet.

You watch him at his weights. The oldest pilot on the Solaris makes no noise except his breath. He's a short man, a pug man who looks like he's been punched so hard he grew back as one big fist. The years have been kind to his strength.

But you can see his arms shaking. He's lifting too much.

When Brie talks, people listen. He's been around: a reservist before the war, and now that the war's come home, a Flight Lieutenant with more time outside the simulator than in. You can hear that time in his voice. He says what needs to be said and he says it so it's heard.

Brie's your uncle on your mom's side (rest in peace, Mom) and you think he probably pulled strings to get you as his wingman. You think it's probably in violation of military conduct. But you trust him in a way you don't yet trust yourself.

Still. He's lifting too much.

Name: Robert Byrne.

DOB: 20/05/2337.

Education: Tertiary. Obtained Master of Business Administration from Keynes University in 2358. Graduated from Class number 001 from Yue Fei Staff College (Earth) in 2372 with Master of Strategic Studies. Studied the Philosophy of Warfare with Martin Mandho at the Xia University of Earth in 2384 whilst serving on the Federation's military council. 

United Earth Occupational Specialty: Principal Action Officer. (OS:1)

Postings: UEC Ark Royal - Operations Room (2359-2363), UEC Tarakan - Executive Officer (2363-2368), UEFg Avalon - Commanding Officer (2372-2376), UEFg Churchill - Commanding Officer (2376-2381), 1st Frigate Flotilla. UEF 1st Fleet - Officer Commanding (2376-2381), UEF Military Council: Space Policy and Warfare (2381-2385), UED Solaris - Commanding Officer (2385-Present), UEF First Fleet - Officer Commanding (2385-Present).

Performance Evaluation (Comment Excerpt): Submitted by Admiral Rajashekar - Officer Commanding of UEF First Fleet: ...Whilst quiet and determined, Lieutenant Commander Byrne exhibits strategic competence of an Officer far beyond his years in exercises such as the INDRA series, maneuvering the Tarakan always to provide maximum fire support to the remainder of the Strike Division. Byrne has consistently held his position in such exercises with vigour, consistently disregarding his own life in favor of others, and resisting the urge to break ranks to mount a counter-attack at risk of leaving his charge open to enemy assault.

Decorations:
Commander of the Legion of Merit. (2385)

Officer of the Order of Earth. (2382)

Federation Service Medal with Star of Earth (2374)

Federation Defence Medal (2363)

Federation Cross. (2362)

Conclusion: Admiral Byrne is a commander with the mindset of a philosopher, whose tactical genius is little realised by most even within the Federation itself. Whilst not a battlefield revolutionary, Byrne's management skills shone in the INDRA series of exercises conducted prior to the war, with his ability to dispose the Fleet in a manner in which to allow it to fluidly respond to threats in three dimensions. Byrne's strong integrity and rigid discipline in line with orders is atypical of many officers, as observed during both the INDRA exercises and his conduct during the war. Unwilling to mount a large counter-offensive, Byrne issues and continues to enforce strict standing orders regarding to the defensive posture to be maintained by all Fleets.

Byrne's work with Martin Mandho on the philosophy of war may have been one of the distinguishing factors when selecting Admiral Rajashekar's successor as O.C 1st Fleet, and why he is the incumbent O.C. It can be surmised that his knowledge on the subject played a role in the collaborative strategy devised by himself and the Elders as to the conduct of Federation Fleets during the war.

Name: Hans Maxwell Calder.

DOB: 11/08/2315.

Education: Tertiary. Bachelor of Arts (History) from University of Cambridge in 2353. Undertaken under the recommendation of Admiral McIntyre (then Officer Commanding, Jovian Rim Fleet).

United Earth Occupational Specialty: Principle Action Officer. (OS:1)

Postings: GTC Fenris - Gunnery Control (2334-2337), GTC Newman - Executive Officer (2338-2342), Galactic Warfare College: Earth - Instructor (2343-2347), UEC Shizhong - Commanding Officer (2347-2353), Officer Commanding - Fourth Torpedo Strike Division: Jovian Rim Fleet (2347-2353), UEFg Huangtiandang - Executive Officer (2357-2362), UEFg Zhongxing - Commanding Officer (2362-2369), Officer Commanding - FrigRon Alpha (2362-2369), United Earth Fleet Forces Command - Staff (2370-2375), UED Toutatis - Commanding Officer (2376-Present), Officer Commanding: Jovian Rim Fleet (2376-Present).

Performance Evaluation (Comment Excerpt): Submitted by Admiral McIntyre - CINCJRF ...The Commodore's actions during the INDRA series of exercises lend a window into his Manstein-esque strategies. Deploying his force quickly and aggressively, he has consistently compensated for his lack of flank support with overwhelming speed and aggression. Utilizing a combined arms concept, Commodore Calder has successfully engaged superior numbers of cruisers and frigates with the Zhongxing and her FrigRon maneuvering in a 'rolling scissors' to provide mutual fighter and bomber cover as the FrigRon's air complement is deployed in an offensive fashion to provide light support for the frigates.

Decorations:

Distinguished Service Cross (2378) Citation: The Council of Elders takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Hans-Maxwell Calder, Admiral, Jovian Rim Fleet, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action against a hostile force in the Kuiper Belt.

Federation Service Medal with Star of Earth (2372)

Officer of the Order of Earth (2368)

Jovian Cross (2360)

Jovian Defence Medal (2353)

Conclusion: The strategic competence of the Admiral is matched only by the ferocity in which he uses his forces in combat, as evidenced by his decorations and performance evaluations. Parallels are often drawn between him and Field Marshal Erich von Manstein. Both exploit the element of surprise, both compensate for lack of flank support and protective screens with overwhelming aggression and surprise, and both are critical of their civilian leadership.

An officer whose military service ranks among the longest in the Federation navy, Calder draws on his experience rather than luck when in contact with Allied forces. Also of note is his multi-service background. It can be concluded that his knowledge of the Allied psyche and his prior leadership training prior to transferring to the Jovian Navy gives him a strategic edge over his pure Federate counterparts. His tactics feature a combination of Terran aggression and Federation combined-arms concepts, it is hoped these strategies will be imparted to the Military Council and then disseminated among the Officer Academies in the near future.

It can be conjectured, that in contrast to his fellow fleet commanders, Calder's promotion was due to his raw skill on the battlefield, rather than any outside factors. His bulldog nature characterizes the rest of his fleet, and the tight ship he runs within it. His aggression combined with his skepticism of the Council of Elders paints the Admiral as a wildcard within the fleets, and an Officer whose sense to rebel may get the better of his experience.

Name: Thea Carey

Current Posting: GTD Temeraire, GTVA 14th Battlegroup, 5th Fleet

Performance Evaluation (Comment Excerpt): Submitted by Admiral Severanti - Commander GTVA 13th Battlegroup: I was informed that my new Rear Admiral was an enfant terrible from the Effect Warfare school of thought, a young woman of unusual kinetic energy and determination who specialized in the use of capital warships to support air wing operations. I was therefore determined to correct all these flaws and help the Rear Admiral become a useful and well-balanced flag officer.

Unfortunately for my ambitions, the Rear Admiral served capably under my command. We disagreed on several points of doctrine, in particular the Rear Admiral's willingness to separate the Hood from the majority of its air wing and conduct simultaneous attacks. It is my opinion that a destroyer battle group must at all times withhold some component of its strength. But as I am sure the reader is familiar with my positions, I will proceed to note that Rear Admiral Carey flawlessly executed her maneuvers, displaying both flexibility and care in her use of reconnaissance and skirmishing forces to find and fix enemy formations. When a serious humanitarian crisis erupted in Delta Serpentis, Rear Admiral Carey was able to detach logistical elements for heavy lift without compromising force readiness. I would be overjoyed to see Rear Admiral Carey advance as one of the peacekeeping admirals that I believe our Alliance needs so much, but, in the event of war, it is my determination that Rear Admiral Carey be given control of a large air wing, where she can best use her proficiency at organizing and conducting strike operations.

I am bemused and disgusted by recent inquiries into the Rear Admiral's personal life and habits, and I request the strongest censure of those responsible. An officer of the Alliance is an honorable person, and to question that honor is to question the Alliance itself.

Philip Corey is arguing with the deck chief again.

"No, I'm not an engineer, I'm just the man who flies the damn thing!" He bangs the Aurora's nose with the deck chief's wrench. "And I'm telling you, chief, it's not right. Something's firing input into the flight controls, and if it's not the kick housing on the active transit sensor, why, I'll - "

"You don't fly it." The baffled deck chief can't seem to figure out what to do with Corey. For a slim lieutenant with a throaty voice and a history of bad luck, Corey knows an awful lot about subspace systems. You're impressed. The chief isn't. "Sir, it's not your bird, it's Nehru's, sir."

"WELL, I'M HERE ON HIS BEHALF!" Corey booms. He hits the Aurora with the wrench again. "And don't cringe like that, this is combat armor! What do you think a wrench is going to do? Are you a mechanic or aren't you?"

Poor Lieutenant Nehru asks too many questions, so the deck crew can't stand him. The idea that anyone would be here on Nehru's behalf leaves the deck chief baffled. "I am, sir," she manages, "this is my deck, and I'm going to have to insist that you put the wrench down and have Lieutenant Nehru file a maintenance squawk with instructions to reproduce the behavior."

"Reproduce!" Corey sputters. "What do you think this is, a - a fruit fly? A little show dog? If we let Nehru fly with a bad housing, chief, we're letting him down."

He turns. Looks around the deck. He doesn't see you, but he's not looking: he's pleading with everyone around him, everyone who's watching.

"Is that who we want to be?" He's had two bad wing leaders, Corey has, one dishonorably discharged and one re-specialized to logistical work. Two commanders who couldn't do the right thing. And you can hear it, you really can. It's in his voice -

"Is that who we are? The kind of people who let each other down?"

The Council of Elders is the non-elected executive body of the United Earth Federation. It does not interfere with the daily or even yearly business of government, nor with the workings of the judiciary. Instead, the Council sets long-term directives for the Federation, serving as a strategic steering committee on the scale of decades or even centuries.

The members of the Council are philosophers, artists, scholars, scientists, politicans, spies, businessman, and more. Sophisticated treatments have kept many of these individuals alive well beyond the average Terran lifespan, originally leading to the nickname 'Elder'.

The Elders are responsible for the original formation of the Ubuntu party, as well as the genesis of its advanced simulation programs, used to forecast the outcomes of economic, political and cultural decisions. Access to these programs has guaranteed Ubuntu Party success for the past several decades.

Privately, many of the Elders endorse a form of philosophical near-mysticism not dissimilar to some Vasudan beliefs. Some claim to be in contact with advanced alien beings by means of an unknown method of communication.

Falconer hits you so hard that you fall. "Come on!" she jeers, while you slap the mat and grunt through the pain. "Get up! You can't get up, can you? You're just gonna lie down?"

The gym crowd's laughing at you. It seems really stupid that Fedayeen operators, invaluable human assets, are allowed to punch each other. But maybe if you're dumb enough to get hurt sparring you don't deserve to be Fedayeen.

Falconer doesn't like how long it's taking you to get up and so she kicks you in the ribs. You can see the callus on her bare brown heel before it crushes your stomach. You're angry now, angry that Falconer is here in the sparring ring alongside memories of Lorna Simms, angry that she smells like acrid sealant spray and garlic, angry that you're about to throw up tonight's masala all over her because she stomped your guts.

You grab Falconer's leg and punch her in the groin. She catches the blow on a turned hip but now you're both on the mat, both down, she's laughing, grappling and rolling until you get her in guard and she's strangling you. Her black braced gloves burn your neck.

Looking up at her, haloed by the harsh low lights, you can see the curiosity in her eyes. Falconer's just a front. Whatever's in there is smart and sharp and it throws itself at things to see how they react.

She digs a knee into your thigh. You lose the guard, your legs unwrapping from her waist.

You want to put your hand up like a gun. You want to say: bang. You're dead.

But Falconer does not forgive any form of defeat. Falconer wants you to win. She wants it so bad. She wants to be the bad guy so bad that you have to get better to beat her.

She ****ing stinks of garlic. "Mng!" you grunt. "Yuh stink!" And you bite her ****ing throat.

She tastes better than she smells. You get a little blood. Afterwards, in the infirmary, she slaps you on the back and grins. "Cut your hair," she says. "I could've grabbed it."

Iwakura sees you watching her, and she smiles shyly. She's not a shy woman, although her high voice and soft accent could maybe fool the kind of person who cares about those things. It's just that here, aboard the Temeraire, she has to face something she's never known -

Humanity. This is the first time in her life that she's even dreamt of people beyond the Sanctuary.

"Sam," she says, as she's not in the cockpit and not in your chain of command. "It's so good to see you. How are you? How are Taylor and Corey?"

"They're well, thank you." You want to ask her more about what you saw...the unknown ship in the Sanctuary's nebula. But somehow you feel this is a sacred thing that must be left unspoken. "And you? Does the Temeraire live up to expectations?"

"I'm so disappointed! I expected birds. And a fountain!"

"The birds are all on duty, Katashi."

She stands too close to you. You think it's because of the Sanctuary, a frozen ship with no room at all. It must be instinct. "Ha ha," she says. "Gods, I can't believe this. I still can't." Before she closes her eyes for a moment you can see that she's afraid. "It's too much like a miracle."

Imagine that. Imagine losing your humanity. Surrendering it so that you could survive.

Imagine it returning. But it might only be a dream.

"SHOTS!" Kassim screams. "TEQUILA SHOTS!"

"Oh no," you say. "Oh no no. No shots, Kassim. Kassim, would you please come this way?"

Kassim copes with stress by drinking it. There's technically no alcohol aboard the Solaris, as she's a military ship, but First Fleet is First Fleet and InSec doesn't search for contraband. "Laporte," he slurs, one arm around your waist (he does flirt with you but only if he's sober: it vanishes when he drinks), "La Porte, the door, the door. Let's open the door. With shots!"

"Door's closed," you grunt, to the disappointment of Savchuka From Life Systems, who's been pouring your bourbon. She's not going anywhere, is she? She can wait. "Up you go. Pull up, Kassim."

"Pull up! Pull up!" He staggers out of his chair. "Byoooooom. Crash!"

Fleet posted Kassim to the number two slot in your wing, and on paper he's a great pilot. In practice he's a great pilot too. His problems come exclusively before and after missions, when he cycles between

a) compulsively refreshing the news
b) reading depressing letters written by dead people
c) partying
d) de-partying in sickbay
e) thanking Uncle Manuel for covering up his drinking

Today you caught Kassim curled up with a sheaf of Tev propaganda, which is not strictly contraband (Ubuntu being what it is) but which would earn him a stiff talking-to. He was...you're not sure what he was doing. He looked ashamed. He snapped at you when you said something, and then he invited you to the bar to apologize. More apologies may soon be necessary.

"What's over here," Kassim says, as you carry him towards the hatch. "Are there shots over here. Set a course...for tequila, Alpha One."

"Let's go talk to the nice man on sickbay," you say.

"I'm not sick." He frowns enormously, his mouth twisted up. "I'm a perfectly healthy and reasonably detached combat pilot who has developed coping mechanisms for the psychological and emotional challenges of high-intensity warfare."

You should tell Savchuka from Life Systems to invent a drink called the Coping Mechanism. But right now you have to take care of Kassim. You kind of like him, all in all: he's spontaneous, honest, energetic, competitive, and fun.

"I feel sick," he grunts. "Coping mechanisms inadequate! Abort to trash can!"

You kind of like him. All in all.

"Oh, I was absolutely in love with her," Kovacs admits. Admits is not the right word: he doesn't seem ashamed or furtive about it. It doesn't seem to carry any weight to him at all. Maybe better as -

"I was absolutely in love with her," Kovacs says.

The idea of anyone getting along with Falconer is so alien that you gape. Kovacs just sits there, eyes distant, reviewing some kind of Fedayeen mantra or checklist inside himself. You're in the #2 prep bay, surrounded by crates labeled HUMAN ELEMENT INTERFACE and scurrying rats who fear no kind of human.

It's so strange to hear it like this, this deep personal thing. What did you even ask? Something simple. And Kovacs just spilled it. "You knew each other beforehand, then? Before the...before this?" Before they were Fedayeen.

"No. I worked with her for eight months on Titan. Long enough for chemistry." Kovacs is a lean, tough guy, probably capable of flexing any part of his body. He has huge, bony brows that shadow his eyes. "I was a mess then."

"Aren't we all?"

"Not like that. I was platform security. There were...criminal elements, Gef influences, ten thousand desperate people working hard jobs. I didn't know Falconer was Fedayeen, but she was a source of mine. Spent all day waiting for her to walk into my office. Real film noir." He slides a four-inch throwing knife out of his belt, but he doesn't throw it at the rats: just looks at himself in the blade. "One day I woke up and I knew I loved her."

He stops talking for a while, until you make a face like: come on, guy, you can't stop there. "I asked her out. We hooked up. She had fun but...it wasn't there, you know? On her end. I was something else to her, not a lover. A project. She would give me all this creepy advice and I didn't realize until later what it was about."

"What was it about?"

"The crime situation escalated. There was a takeover attempt. Hostages involved. I took necessary steps. After that I was post-traumatic."

From somewhere out of memory, gunfire flashes in his eyes.

"When the Fedayeen recruited me," he takes the knife by the tip, "when they brought me into the Red Room for initiation," he offers it to you by the hilt, "I requested personality retrofit. Complete teardown and rebuild. I wanted to be someone else. Different stress responses, different fears, reprofiled attachment behavior. And when I woke up..."

You swallow hard. "It was gone. She was gone."

"She was right there with me. But I didn't love her any more. It must not have been tactically useful."

You take the knife from him. The blade slides out from between his fingers but he doesn't let it cut. "And how are things now?" you ask.

"Better," he says, nodding. "With her? Better than they were before."

Of all the members of Falcata, you can only imagine him being this honest with you.

FLEETNET PUBLIC PROFILE
(personal space)
Messages and Bulletins

>>>Felinetics Ltd
>WE HAVE AN UPDATE FOR YOU
Your meditation widget subscription has been updated with more than two thousand new soothing stimuli!

>>>kava.savchuka.solaris.1
>Come on by
I have mixed up a new Coping Mechanism. Come by and try it out. I've also got a few friends who want to meet you, if you're up for it. I'd look pretty good with a pilot on my arm...

>>>kassim04.solaris.1
>Sorry
I owe you for last night. Thanks for getting me to the infirmary, I feel great. Hey! I know you like all the Ubuntu meditation ****. It's not really my speed, being such a tough cool guy, but I could take you to a session in Rec 3 tonight?

Name: Anita Lopez

DOB: 11/05/2330

Education: Tertiary. Studied Military Science at 4th GTVA Officer Academy: Capella. Graduated Dux of Class number 2029 on 20/09/2352.

Rank: Admiral. Promotion timeline unknown. Believed to have been marked for Fast-Track Promotion upon completion of Tertiary Education.

Alliance Occupational Specialty: Principle Warfare Officer (AOS-1a.)

Postings: Operations Room: GTC Trafalgar (2352-2357), Deputy Executive Officer: GTD Messana (2357-2360), Executive Officer: GTC Fortune (2360-2366), Executive Officer: GTD Carthage (2366-2367), Division Commander: 2nd GTVA Officer Academy: Delta Serpentis (2367-2372), Commanding Officer: GTD Carthage (2372-Present).

Performance Evaluation (comment excerpt): submitted by Lieutenant Commander Knight- CO GTC Fortune: ...Lopez is a brilliant tactician, bringing to bear full firepower of the Fenris through effective leadership in the Operations Room. A hallmark of Lopez's leadership is the rapport fostered among all Operations Room personnel. Lopez is greatly respected among all Officers aboard the Fortune...
Submitted by Admiral Christie - CO GTD Carthage:...[Lopez]is a loyal Executive, mature and diligent in her duties. Her positive attitude towards crew welfare, not only towards the members of the Carthage, is respected greatly by the entire Operations Room staff...

Decorations: Allied Defence Citation. (2366) Capella Incursion Campaign Star. (2367) Nebula Campaign Victory Star. (2367) NTF Campaign Victory Star (2367).
GTVA Legion of Honor (2367), Citation Excerpt: Captain Anita Lopez, Galactic Terran Vasudan Alliance, distinguished herself by actions above and beyond the call of duty, on October 7th, 2367, while serving as Acting Commanding Officer of the GTD Carthage, GTVA Third Fleet, during the Nebula Campaign. Captain Lopez used the Carthage as a base of fire at the Knossos Jump Node, in the nebula, while subjected to heavy Beam Fire and anti-capital ship warheads from large numbers of Shivan craft. While providing overwatch for the mass exodus of Alliance Forces from the Nebula, Captain Lopez was notified of orders to withdraw immediately, citing an imminent Shivan Incursion. Aware that more ships were attempting to rendezvous at the Knossos Portal, Captain Lopez maintained her position for a further eighty-five minutes, during which the Carthage and her Fighters and Bombers were able to repel wave after wave of Shivan attackers, including ships corvette class and above. Captain Lopez's actions saved the lives of over a thousand men and women of the Alliance, upholding great credit to herself, her crew...

Conclusion: One can draw from the information presented that Admiral Lopez is a capable Officer, loyal to those under her Command while possessing the tactical aptitude necessary to coordinate her Command in an effective manner. From this conclusion, it is clear Admiral Lopez and all ships under her Command are a significant threat to the Federation in whichever fashion they are deployed. Discretion should be exercised when engaging the Admiral, because of both her inherent ability, and her extensive combat experience.

"Today, on this fortieth anniversary of our amputation from the stars, it is my heartfelt conviction that our time of strife is done. In the decades to come, we hope to build a community of compassion and pluralism here in Sol, a new model for the state and for the human mind. There is no more important work, no more urgent work, than this work of human betterment.

Ubuntu is a philosophy of human connection. Look around you. Look at each other. This is the shape of your future."  --This is Martin Mandho

Kyle Netreba is the current Commander In Chief of 2nd Fleet Mars. Among the triumvirate that commands the UEF Navy, he is the least "military" officer. Originally trained as an engineering specialist (software subspecialty), he switched to the command track after he demonstrated good leadership skills during an incident in which he had to take command of a frigate after its command staff died during combat. His market-based algorithms for logistical handling earned him the praise of the Council of Elders, a lasting relationship with scientist-elder Svetlana Henriksson, and eventually a place in the Admiralty.

His leadership style is unorthodox. He has structured his command less like a traditional fleet, and more like a design bureau, hand-selecting 2 Fleet's ship captains for their ability to think and act independently. Yet the outbreak of the war saw an abrupt shift in his disciplinary approach, including crackdowns on traditionally lax Martian standards. Some suspect Netreba sought advice from Admiral Calder on wartime conduct.

During the war against the GTVA, Netreba found himself in a difficult position. Calder and Byrne used his fleet as a reserve asset pool for their own very different priorities, and Netreba feels increasingly dissatisfied with this position. His cooperation has not always been rewarded, either in terms of assets for his own OrBat or rest and repair time for his crews and ships. Between having to guard assets that are nominally in 1st Fleet's remit, and supporting offensive actions by 3rd Fleet, his own command and the abilities of the people within it are being wasted, a state of affairs that he feels threatens 2 Fleet's effectiveness as a unit.

While the Admiral is unsatisfied with Admiral Byrne's strategic directives, and much more comfortable with Admiral Calders' aggressive strategies, his ability to work with Admiral Calder is limited. Given their vast differences in command styles, this comes as no surprise. Where 2 Fleet relies on each element acting independently in support of a broad strategy, the Jovian Rim Fleet relies on detailed pre-battle planning and pre-rehearsed maneuvers that can be executed with a minimum of forethought. Whether or not the two commands can overcome these structural differences and produce results when acting in concert will probably be one of the deciding factors in determining the war's outcome.

Finger by finger you work your hands into the flight suit gloves. Step by step you climb the ladder, up to the fighter.

You look down into the Aurora's cockpit with a shiver.

This is where it happened. In a cockpit. Not this cockpit, not this ship, but it was a cockpit like this one, crowded with switches and labels. You remember the labels, DATA STOWAGE and EWMS, INST MOD SEL and ECM CONSENT, the tiny machined nubs of alloy that controlled your fate. You remember the sweat under your gloves and the breath hissing in your mask.

You remember your failure.

But you won't think about that right now. You have a job to do. You believe, more than anything else, in the ideals of your job. Protect the innocent. Save those who need saving. Keep the human family together.

That strength gets you down, into the cockpit.

You reach back for the straps and bind yourself into the ship.

Name: Cyrus Severanti

DOB: 23/11/2335

Education: Tertiary. Studied Political Science at Halkins University (Beta Aquilae). Graduated in Class number 1 on 05/17/2357 with the Security Council Sword of Honour for Leadership from the GTVA 1st Officer Training School. GTVA Space Command and Staff College 2369 to complete Staff Course - 009a. Attended GTVA Space War College to complete Master of Strategic Studies in 2374.

Rank: Admiral. Was fast-tracked after distinguished service during the NTF campaign.

Alliance Occupational Specialty: Principle Warfare Officer (AOS-1a).

Postings: Third Fleet: GTC Fortune - Anti Ship Warfare Officer (2357-2360), GTC Heisenberg - Executive Officer (2360-2363), GTVA Junior Warfare Application Course: Ribos - Instructor (2363-2366), GTCv Steadfast - Commanding Officer (2366-2369), GTD Messana - Commanding Officer (2370-2373), 2nd Fleet HQ: Director of Space Warfare (2375-2378), GTVA 1st Officer Training School - Commandant (2379-2383), Commanding Officer - GTD Meridian (2383-Present), Commander - GTVA 13th Battlegroup (2383-Present).

Performance Evaluation (comment excerpt): Submitted by Admiral West - Commander GTVA 6th Fleet: ...[Severanti] is a dedicated officer of the Alliance, and a loyal Corvette Captain. Consistently following orders and often maintaining his position under adverse conditions, Severanti is a model officer of Sixth Fleet.

Decorations:
NTF Campaign Victory Star (2366)

Epsilon Pegasi Liberation Medal (2366)

Order of Galatea (2366). Citation: For heroism, and conspicuous gallantry beyond the call of duty whilst serving as Captain of the GTCv Steadfast, GTVA 6th Fleet, in action against NTF Forces in the battle of Luzon Station, Epsilon Pegasi, on the 4th of April, 2366. Damaged by NTF bomber assaults, and without a fighter screen, Commander Severanti maintained his vessel's position to the port of Luzon Station's exit-pattern, shielding the civilian transports leaving the station from heavy beam fire from the NTF cruisers Nakura and Kiowa, regardless of the risk to his own life and the lives of his crew. The Steadfast returned beam fire, and assisted in staving off a large NTF attack on the station, despite taking heavy damage. As the hull integrity of the Steadfast dropped, Commander Severanti repeatedly declined medical assistance, regardless of the fact he was wounded in the upper arm and back, instead insisting on his presence commanding the vessel. Coordinating a counterattack with the 341st Bomber Squadron, he promptly executed a flanking maneuver and destroyed the Nakura, whilst the 341st forced the Kiowa to withdraw. Commander Severanti's actions saved over five hundred civilians evacuating the station, and many hundreds more aboard Luzon Station, with his fine leadership and strength of character being a lasting inspiration to the men and women under his command.

Allied Defence Citation (2367)

Conclusion: Severanti is both a competent Officer and a loyal servant of the Alliance. Severanti's strategy appears to be conservative, and often typical of the Academy's school of thought, rather than an independent strategy. Whilst a capable officer, reviewing the current positions held by batchmates and former commanding officers of his, the conclusion can be drawn that Severanti's selection for positions of authority, 13th Fleet Commander being one of them, was likely due to his association with present members of the GTVA Security Council and GTVA Space Forces Command than his sheer ability as an officer and manager.

In light of this, however, Severanti's decorations paint him as an officer loyal to his service and to his oath. The Luzon Station action characterizes him as a cool and determined operator under pressure, and thus, Federation Officers engaging the Admiral should be wary of his demeanor and avoid placing a likelihood of failure under pressure on Severanti. Rather, exploiting flaws in the GTVA space warfare doctrine should be a primary source of options that should be considered to counter the Admiral in space warfare.

[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Who is Lorna Simms? You think about this, you puzzle and probe, and sometimes it’s a joy, and sometimes it hurts. Sometimes you don't think about it at all — mostly when you're with Simms, flying, killing.

Maybe that’s who Simms is. The moment. A place where you never have to think, never have a chance to reflect, never have to be anything other than laughter and kill-joy. But that’s a selfish way to go at it, isn’t it? Simms is her own woman, impatient, profane, ferocious, and you shouldn’t make an icon of her. She’s not a lion, not a war-god, not some kind of oblivion you can curl up inside.

A conversation you have, after a sortie:

“You flew like **** today, Laporte."

“That so, boss?”

Squared off in the shower queue, breathing the fear stink of pilots and Indus crew all waiting for cold water. Simms a pylon in the crowd and you, darker and shorter, feels like the raven roosting on her.

“You got sloppy on your e-poles,” Simms says. “Slipped into the threat envelope twice.”

“I went in to finish the kill, sir. Calculated risk.”

“Not much good if you don’t live to brag about it.”

“Yet here I am, sir.”

“You’ll spend two hours in the helmet running poles and drags before I let you fly again.” Simms puts a little crack of authority on the end of the reprimand, and then grimaces like she’s just noticed the smell. “Flight Lieutenant Levi assures me that they were good kills, though.”

You are pretty sure Simms hasn’t spoken to Levi since preflight. You grins at your Captain, and Simms, exasperated, grinning back though (!), shakes her head and sighs.

“You love it, don’t you,” she says. “You’re happy out there.”

You put your hands on the back of your head, an improper attitude towards a superior officer, and hold the grin. “I’m coming for you, sir.”

You're racing Simms for the top of the Second Fleet kill board. You both know who’s going to win.

Name: Chiwetel Steele.

DOB: 13/07/2340

Education: Tertiary. Studied Bachelor of Battlefield Psychology at 3rd GTVA Officer Academy: Capella. Graduated in Class Number 45 on 5/5/2361. Attended GTVA Space War College to complete Master of Strategic Studies in 2380. Completed an influential treatise regarding the application and design of Allied Destroyers post-Nebula Campaign.

Rank: Admiral. Was fast tracked after exemplary performance during the VEGADEX series of fleet exercises post-Shivan Incursion. Changed occupational specialties in late 2367 after being reclassified Aviation Class: 4 during Operation Astute - 2367.

Alliance Occupational Specialty: Principle Warfare Officer. (AOS-1a)

Postings: 47th Cutthroats - Pilot (2363-2364), 66th Black Knights - Wing Commander (2364-2367), 99th Skulls - Unknown. Presumably pilot (2367-2367) |Undertook Change in Occupational Specialty to AOS-1a| GTCv Bretagne - Executive Officer (2368-2374), GTCv Naxos - Commanding Officer (2375-2379), GTD Aeneas - Executive Officer (2381-2384), GTD Atreus - Commanding Officer (2384-Present), 15th Terran Battlegroup (2384-Present)

Performance Evaluation (Comment Excerpt): Submitted by Admiral Armanjani - Commander GTVA 4th Fleet: [Steele's] highly aggressive and precise nature makes him an interesting corvette skipper within the fleet. He often plays on the psychology of his adversaries, implementing careful ambushes structured around feigned retreats that would earn him the praise of Genghis Khan. The Commodore's aggressive battlefield manner could be attributed to his fighter squadron background, however, he is yet to learn the art of restraint in regards to the pros and cons of overwhelming aggression during the engagement.

Decorations:

NTF Campaign Victory Star (2366)

Epsilon Pegasi Liberation Medal (2366)

Nebula Campaign Victory Star (2367)

Medal of Valor (2367). Citation: Lieutenant Commander Chiwetel Steele distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry, exemplary leadership and determination during Operation Astute, whilst serving as a Wing Commander with the 99th Special Operations Squadron, 23 March 2367. Whilst carrying out interdiction of Shivan supplies along the MSR, Lieutenant Commander Steele's wing encountered heavy Shivan resistance prior to engaging the mission target. Lieutenant Commander Steele maneuvered his wing into a flanking position and eliminated the bulk of Shivan resistance in a charge towards the target convoy. As the 99th engaged the target, Persevering despite tremendous pain from a combat injury, he continued to engage, providing cover for the attacking pilots. Lieutenant Commander Steele's actions saved the lives of the pilots on the sortie, and directly contributed to the success of the mission.
Allied Defence Citation (2367)

Conclusion: One of the youngest Fleet Admirals in the GTVA, Admiral Chiwetel Steele is a gifted strategist who appears to both despise and revel in the art of war. Tactical acumen combined with a deep understanding of the human psyche makes Steele a highly successful, if unorthodox commander. Personal contact with the Admiral leaves an impression of a well-spoken, mannered but distant personality, with a cool demeanour that gives many of his colleagues unease.

His command of the Atreus has been controversial, and he is often accused of 'mistaking his ship's subspace maneuverability for that of a fighter'. Though his reputation for insanity may be an uncharitable assessment of his command style, he is well known for pushing his ship and crew beyond GTVA regulation parameters. His crew rotations are 33% more frequent than most other destroyers in the fleet. Last audit suggested an increase in measurable fatigue among officers and crew serving on the Atreus, but with a proportional increase in combat effectiveness.

"Morning, sir!"

Mina Taylor jogs past on your right, huffing and bright red. You can't believe it. Given the situation aboard the Temeraire, the last thing you'd expect her to be doing is jogging on the observation deck at 0600. People are staying close to each other, huddled in cabins and wardrooms. People are bolting back from their shifts and sealing themselves up in their bunks to hide. No one's up here, with the cold stars.

You shake your head and grin. That's Taylor. Seems a bit mercurial, sure, but -

"Morning, sir!"

Taylor has lapped the observation deck. She's practically sprinting. "Taylor!" you shout, trying to catch her before she corners the forward bulkhead. But it's too late, the deck's loud up here and she's gone.

Taylor and Corey, your two wingmen, really seem to have bonded: they fight constantly but it never sticks, it's more like sibling rivalry. Corey's dour nature works nicely with Taylor's energy. Morale's good here in Alpha Wing, Lumin Kristae's an excellent squadron leader, and if it weren't for those nagging fears about the Orestes and your father...

"Morning, sir!" She bolts past, saluting. "Nice view!"

You call up the deck security logs. Taylor's been up here since 0520, which you suppose isn't ALL that long, except that she's dashing along like a cheetah and still picking up speed.

"Taylor!" you call, next time she comes into view. "How long are you going to keep this up?"

"Until I get tired, sir! Dropped my pacekeeper somewhere, but I always burn out around fifty!"

You find the pacekeeper, kicked behind a survival pack. It's at seventy circuits and rising. Without the count to remind her, Taylor seems to have forgotten her limits.

You find Thorn in one of the Masyaf's infirmaries, getting her blood and cerebrospinal fluid replaced.

"It cuts down on the need for sleep," she explains, while golden taps pipe her insides out. "Cleans toxins. Enhances neurogenesis. The new blood is a refined mixture with improved immune function."

She's a tiny black woman with a dictionary-issue Ganymede accent and a glimmer of hard technology under her skin. You can see where the Masyaf has extended itself through vein and synapse. Her eyes shine with active sensors.

She smiles a nice strong smile. "But you didn't ask," she says. "I apologize for the unnecessary information."ć

For all the lives that you've piled up on your back, people you've killed and people you've got to save, you're still young.

Being young means...well, you know how you are: a new posting means new crushes. Youth is fickle.

Vidaura's all smiles, all soft touches, she's a bridge-builder and a friend-maker. She's got her own sleek fashion sense. She listens to what people say and she offers sensible thoughts just like she really does care. You see operators coming to her for advice - not with tactical matters, they've all mastered those, but advice about the simple interpersonal politics that come into play when you pack a few thousand hyper-aggressive apes into a pressurized can.

People outside the Fleet often imagine it as a place of starched uniforms and strict regulations. But the military, more than most organizations, has its own gossip and popularity contests, its own chicken****. Vidaura's lord of that terrain.

"Hey Laporte!" she says, at the door of your quarters. The safety lights in the night-cycle passageway shadow all the hollows of her Indo-Brazilian face and light up her smile. "It looks lonely in there. Want to come see the favela?"

For some stupid reason a lot of the Fedayeen have moved camp away from ship's quarters, into a makeshift habitat along the central life support spine. Camping under a hollow sky has its appeal, but the vines of superconductor cable and coolant dew don't.

Youth is fickle. You follow Vidaura up-ship, in-ship. She makes soft occasional chatter about this and that, the kind of thing that slides right past you and leaves only the impression of her voice.

Christ and Allah, you think (the thought hurts like disinfectant on a wound): she's like the precise and calculated opposite of Simms.

There are birds in the life support spine. There's growing greenery. The Fedayeen have set up hydroponics systems. Staring up at the far side of the gravity ring, you can see the glimmer of liquid water and a single conifer growing green from a cylinder of dirt. In the jungle of eucalyptus leaves cookfires are burning.

"This can't be good for life systems," you say, at a loss.

"The Masyaf is different." She smiles a secret little smile. "Trust me. It works."

Vidaura takes you around the ring, to the pond. You swim. Something about the motion, left right left right, is soothing. For a long time you don't think about Simms or the war. And then when you come to the end of a lap you look up and Vidaura is there above you, looking down, and her eyes are as far away as two dead stars. Her smile is the smile of something hungry.

You know at once that she is showing this to you, so that you know where you stand with her.

When the two of you walk back to frame twenty-six and make your descent, there's not a hint of anything between you.

Vidaura might be the first woman who's ever frightened you off. Maybe you're growing up. But she smiles at you, and touches you on the shoulder, like a friend.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Copypastad from the fiction folder, alphabetic order because I'm lazy.

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
No entry for God-Emperor Ricardo :(
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Give her a little time, Ricardo is almost never denied entry.