Author Topic: Inspiration - HTL Ulysses  (Read 56911 times)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Re: Inspiration - HTL Ulysses
Others can not agree all they want. I prefer seeing the missiles I've selected rocketing out of a blank tube than through faux-missiles that do nothing.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
By that logic...

Others can not agree all they want. I prefer not to seeing an oversized missile hanging out of a missile bay looking retarded.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I saw no missiles hanging out. But then, I only used the model (renamed to Fighter01) and the textures.
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You have to put $Show Secondary Models: ( YES YES ) after $SBank Capacity:

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
If and when that becomes something useful, sure. But I don't see it as something necessary for the current campaign. For mods to show it off is great, but it is not a part of the appearance of original FS/FS2.

¤[D+¬>

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I agree I don't like the missile models. I think it's a waste of time trying to do all this scaling and repositioning stuff. :doubt:

Offline Droid803

Well, having gaping holes in the fighter isn't all that attractive either. I'd say to limit the depth of it a bit...or I'd just stick with the ones with missile caps that :v: used for the render on the first page.
(´・ω・`)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The missile caps on the Ulysses are just like the Concussion missiles mounted on the wings of the Pyro-GX during the Descent II intro...neither one makes sense from a gameplay standpoint, but both look cool and help make the overall appearance of the ship.  I'd choose aesthetics over realism any day of the week.

Offline peterv

I think that everyone will be happy after the final release off two versions, including the EMP missile model (if i manage to put both cockpits in the same model, else there will be 4 versions). :)
You have to put $Show Secondary Models: ( YES YES ) after $SBank Capacity:

Actually it's $Show Secondary Models: ( YES ), there's only one missile bank for the bat (whith two slots). The models with the holes in the VP file already have tables whith that entry.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 07:11:33 pm by peterv »

it'd probably be good to have the missle firepoints moved back, so that the rockeyes aren't sticking most of the way out...
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline peterv

Here is another beta, last chance for corrections before the final release.
There is a VP file in the rar whith the two models, and a mission called "testing ulysses". There is also the EMP model, separately, i'm sure you know what to do whit it.
I've made a shine map in it but i dont know how it looks (OPENGL problem).
The EMP model is not finished yet so be kind whith your comments, but don't do the same about the Ulysses model.
 Waiting...  :pimp:

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 07:55:12 pm by peterv »

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The missile caps on the Ulysses are just like the Concussion missiles mounted on the wings of the Pyro-GX during the Descent II intro...neither one makes sense from a gameplay standpoint, but both look cool and help make the overall appearance of the ship.  I'd choose aesthetics over realism any day of the week.

The cutscenes in Descent 2 were cool for the time, but honestly the concussion missiles make it look rather silly now.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Note that the ordering of the parts is screwed up.  The glass should ALWAYS be the last part of the model, to avoid space being seen through it.  Also, the glowmap seems a bit odd and the shinemap just doesn't work well.  Particularly the alpha.  Most of the ships have no environmental reflections, while others have full alpha, so they look like mirrors :wtf:  I would suggest taking a good look at the MediaVPs Ulysses maps (fighter01-01), and possibly copying parts of those onto your own maps.  Also note that the diffuse map in the mediavps has a lot more definition than yours.

Overall, nice model, except for the object ordering thing, but the maps definitely need work.

Offline peterv

Thanks, checking them now.  :)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
By the looks of it in-game, the glass in that latest version works fine actually. :)

Anyway, I'm impressed. :) Lovely work on this. :yes:
I'll fix up the insignia (which appears below the hull and on plate overlaps), the maps for it (ie, rebalance the existing normal map and fiddle with the shine map to stop the little bits of mirrorsyndrome it creates), and then I'll see that the Uly and the new EMP model gets into the MVPs.

So, what do you plan to work on next? :D

Edit: Oh, and I'll also need to add LODs, so while I'm here I'll give it full volume debris treatment too.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:11:15 pm by Vasudan Admiral »
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
By the looks of it in-game, the glass in that latest version works fine actually. :)

Err ... look at it in the lab.  Turn on "show radius"  Looking through the cockpit, you can clearly see large patches of green.  The ordering of objects needs to be modified.

I'll see that the Uly and the new EMP model gets into the MVPs.

Err ... didn't FireCrack already make an HTL EMP model + tech model?

Offline Droid803

Uh, well, I just flew some missions in it with "show ship". Worked fine there, so no problem.
(´・ω・`)

Offline peterv

Anyway, I'm impressed. :) Lovely work on this. :yes:
I'll fix up the insignia (which appears below the hull and on plate overlaps), the maps for it (ie, rebalance the existing normal map and fiddle with the shine map to stop the little bits of mirrorsyndrome it creates), and then I'll see that the Uly and the new EMP model gets into the MVPs.

So, what do you plan to work on next? :D

Edit: Oh, and I'll also need to add LODs, so while I'm here I'll give it full volume debris treatment too.

Thank you very much for your comments and your help :)
Next is the thoth (i'll release the centaur before that but that's yours mostly :()

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Err ... look at it in the lab.  Turn on "show radius"  Looking through the cockpit, you can clearly see large patches of green.  The ordering of objects needs to be modified.
Oh, at the back yeah I see now. (Viewing radius is a handy technique actually thanks. ;) )

I'll be reconverting the model anyway, so I'll sort it out then.

Err ... didn't FireCrack already make an HTL EMP model + tech model?
I did wonder, but there wasn't one in the beta MVPs, and I've not heard anything on that front in internal so I assumed not. I'll go check now.

Edit: Found them, yeah: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,52673.0.html
They're very nice models in there - I wonder how we missed these. :\
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:55:31 pm by Vasudan Admiral »
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Droid803

I just checked again in the tech room
All the green is from the Vasudan model which is hidden (and hence shows as transparent). I seriously doubt it is an issue with the glass...
Not that I know what I'm really talking about.
(´・ω・`)