Author Topic: Inspiration - HTL Ulysses  (Read 56912 times)

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Re: Inspiration - HTL Ulysses
They have the came general body shape as humans, so I'd expect the same way.  And NOBODY post that horible picture I know you are all thinking about.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I'd personally vote for a motorcycle cockpit in the HTL Ulysses. Its just a cockpit, so it's no major canon issue or anything, plus, its different approach than the standard chair cockpits.

And yeah. (come to think of it, are there any Vasudan fighters which have cockpit models?)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline peterv

I'm willing to make 3-4 drafts off all the proposals so far.  Then we can decide about it (those off us, like me, who think that it is important).
I'd personally vote for a motorcycle cockpit in the HTL Ulysses. Its just a cockpit, so it's no major canon issue or anything, plus, its different approach than the standard chair cockpits.

And yeah. (come to think of it, are there any Vasudan fighters which have cockpit models?)

Don't really know but i think i'll design one for the bat.

Offline Droid803

Well, I'll be using the motorcycle one XD (unless you surprise me with something else, that is :P)
(´・ω・`)

Offline peterv

No way, i loved the "motorcycle" from the moment i saw it as a draft.

Offline Droid803

Oh damn, I mis-read :P
(´・ω・`)

Offline peterv

No, it's probably my "broken english".

I'm willing to make 3-4 drafts off all the proposals so far.  Then we can decide about it (those off us, like me, who think that it is important).

Taristin started making a Vasudan pilot mesh a while ago.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,45152.80.html

There's a pic of a Shivan one a bit further along the thread.

Edit: Oops - sorry, actually Aldo might've been responsible for the Vasudan mesh, not Taristin.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 10:39:50 am by lostllama »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
He's called Bob.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
are those missiles modeled in? you know there is code for rendering the missile model on the missile points right?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
are those missiles modeled in? you know there is code for rendering the missile model on the missile points right?

I don't really think that would work well in this scenario.  Missiles vary too much in size for it to look right all of the time.  I think that code is better suited to cases where the ships and the missiles were designed to work together (such as Steve-O's fighter pack).

Offline Solatar

Although I think most of the missiles a space superiority fighter like the Ulysses would be using would be similar in size (except for Furies/Tempests).

Still if it were me, I'd add the standard "missile holes" that are on other fighters instead of displaying missiles.

Offline peterv

Taristin started making a Vasudan pilot mesh a while ago.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,45152.80.html

There's a pic of a Shivan one a bit further along the thread.

Edit: Oops - sorry, actually Aldo might've been responsible for the Vasudan mesh, not Taristin.

Thank's i'll use this.

Although I think most of the missiles a space superiority fighter like the Ulysses would be using would be similar in size (except for Furies/Tempests).

Still if it were me, I'd add the standard "missile holes" that are on other fighters instead of displaying missiles.

Good idea, solves problems.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I'd just add black circles to the texture, the align the texture approximately over where you want the hole to be.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I'd just keep the missiles.  But that's just me :nervous:

Offline peterv

They are more beautiful but not right. You fire a missile and it stays there, besides the fact that the looks off them dont fit to any missile in the game.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Well, s'not like you're gonna stop while dodging flak and go: Wait, I have empty secondary banks, but missiles in my wings?!?!?
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Solatar

Whatever armament you choose, you still have three of these mystery missiles. Sure they do look kind of cool, but I never liked them as far as "realism" goes. Sure aspects of the game aren't realistic, but having fake missiles just doesn't make logical sense. Besides, all the other fighters have holes. Sounds like fighter01.pof had missiles, and they changed their minds with the rest.

If you're not going to notice what's decorating where your missiles fire from, you won't notice if they've been replaced with the missiles "holes" that every other fighter has.:)

Offline Topgun

isn't there a feature that shows the missile you are firing? like you tell the table where the missiles should be and the game puts them there.

This reminds me of Descent 2, where the cutscenes always show four Concussion Missiles strapped to your ship, even though your ship can carry way, way more armament than that -- and the ingame model always shows two giant mystery missiles regardless of how many secondaries you are actually carrying.

If we're going to pull the realism card, have we tried visualizing where the hundreds of missiles in any given FreeSpace fighter are crammed?

Ace Combat solves the "more missiles than visually reasonable" problem by simply having more missiles magically appear on their pylons after they are fired. Maybe by using animation code and having correct missile models sticking out of ships, firing missiles could have new missiles "push out" and load into position. *puts a nuclear symbol on a searchlight and beams it at the sky*
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 02:27:30 pm by Gregster2k »