Author Topic: Caprica 1x18 "Apotheosis" [SPOILERS!]  (Read 7298 times)

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Caprica 1x18 "Apotheosis" [SPOILERS!]
Discuss: Badass Cylon marines, lots of cool stuff and a show killed before it's time. Go!

RIP Caprica.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Re: Caprica 1x18 "Apotheosis" [SPOILERS!]
Frakkin Awesome Season Finale!!!!
A montage at the end satisfies those burning questions while still inviting us to want to see a season 2.
Well written and directed!

By the end of its first season it had finally established itself only to be cancelled?
WTF?????
Proof positive not one exec in the business has a damned clue about anything.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 02:01:38 pm by KewlToyZ »

Offline FSW

Wow. That episode was exciting!

It really could have done with a denouement, though. It's a shame that all we get in terms of plot resolution is a preview montage.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 05:21:12 pm by FSW »

Offline newman

Excellent episode, really makes me sad to see the show go after this. Here's hoping they at least come up with a few movies to wrap it all up, if not a full season 2. By the looks of things it would have been awesome to see Cylons integrated into colonial society and how it all starts leading towards the war.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I wonder if that montage at the end was originally there, or if it was added after the cancellation to give some closure? Is that possible?

Awesome frakking episode though. This show was really going places I think, it just took its sweet time getting there, and that ended up being its undoing. I'm really going to miss it.

The real Bill Adama was just about to make his appearance, too!

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
I'd say it was added after cancellation, and we've missed out on some cool stuff :(
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Well, holy crap. Almost makes it worth buying the DVD when it comes out.

Really Caprica should have been a 3 or 4 hour miniseries combining the pilot and the last two episodes. (a lot of the plot threads like the framing, avatar being found, etc. could happen shortly after the pilot, or have a 4 hour miniseries with "3 months later" in the middle, etc.)

In many ways I don't think the slow, plodding pacing helped with any of the payoffs. The end montage seemed to have more plot in 60 seconds than 17 hours of show.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Actually I think that Caprica had a lot in common with B5 in terms of it's arc. The early episodes were slow and plodding but it would have ramped up once it got going. Unfortunately it was cut short before it had the chance to do that.

To be honest I'd prefer that to BSG which started strong and got weaker.

I'd say it was added after cancellation

I doubt it. There was far too much footage and CGI for it to have been an addition and the runtime of the show didn't change. So if it was an addition where did they get the money to make it, when did they film it without anyone hearing about it, and what was cut out to make way for it?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Clarice's sermon at the end was in the teaser for the second half of the season which aired with the last episode of the first half. So it had to have been in there from the beginning (unless they were counting on being cancelled even before the first ten episodes had finished airing, which is six of one, and a half-dozen of the other). I'm settling on the notion that it was intended to be sort of like a hybrid of Dollhouse's Epitaph One and BSG's One Year Later jump and provide a loose framework for the next few years of the show. It'd also be necessary to head off fan *****ing about stuff like Bill Adama and Willie being two different people, since I'm pretty sure that people who aren't obsessive message-board chatters and screen-cap studiers wouldn't have had the necessary information to put together the clues about there being two young William Adamas. I mean, would you have wanted to be the person who had to talk down every person who was thinking that there was another twist coming with Willie being a cylon or in a coma or some damn thing until the end of season 2 or whenever Bill would've gotten himself born?

Of course, this would be much easier of the podcast commentaries were still coming out. Wonder what happened with those. They had one for the midseason premiere, then, nothing.

I think what peaked my curiosity is the plot line showing Zoe being born as a skin job (kewl effects btw)
And the appearance of young Bill Adama being so closely co-joined..... that skin job Bill consideration is haunting me now =P

Offline newman

I wonder how they were going to go about the whole Zoe's new body and prototype resurrection technology in the Graystone's basement thing. I mean, this couldn't have become widespread technology or public knowledge, or you'd have to wonder why was it such a shock for the colonials when the Cylons started to "look like us".

And the appearance of young Bill Adama being so closely co-joined..... that skin job Bill consideration is haunting me now =P

Not again.. We don't know how much time passes till the new William is born. You now have two shows outright telling you the old man was not a Cylon, and pretty clearly too. Still not enough? This reminds me of those people who keep insisting the Valkyrie has 6 engines and is 1200m long.. argh.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Damn you, SyFy.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I wonder how they were going to go about the whole Zoe's new body and prototype resurrection technology in the Graystone's basement thing. I mean, this couldn't have become widespread technology or public knowledge, or you'd have to wonder why was it such a shock for the colonials when the Cylons started to "look like us".

Not again.. We don't know how much time passes till the new William is born. You now have two shows outright telling you the old man was not a Cylon, and pretty clearly too. Still not enough? This reminds me of those people who keep insisting the Valkyrie has 6 engines and is 1200m long.. argh.
That's why it haunts me Newman, without a second season continuity seems to be at risk.

Offline newman

That's what the quick preview was for. You saw the son of Joseph and Evelyn being told he was named after his half brother. That's about as clear as they were able to be without a full second season, but it's really quite enough, coupled with the whole bsg thing. We'd all like a second season but apparently no matter how many apples those syphilis execs get sent, it's still not happening.
On another note - hypothetical. If somebody from post-cylon attack time somehow went back in time to around the period of the last Caprica episode, and put a bullet in Clarice's head, would the war still have happened? According to the s2 previews she appears to have riled them up pretty good. Wonder if Cylon and Man would have found a way to co-exist peacefully if it weren't for religious nut jobs frakking it all up as usual.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Probably. In that snippet, she seemed in full-on "I'ma gonna make ya CRUSADE" mode, which seemed to be the catalyst for the war.

Damn SyFy for killing the series. The last few minutes of Caprica had stuff in it that I really, really want to see in context.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
That's what the quick preview was for. You saw the son of Joseph and Evelyn being told he was named after his half brother. That's about as clear as they were able to be without a full second season, but it's really quite enough, coupled with the whole bsg thing. We'd all like a second season but apparently no matter how many apples those syphilis execs get sent, it's still not happening.
On another note - hypothetical. If somebody from post-cylon attack time somehow went back in time to around the period of the last Caprica episode, and put a bullet in Clarice's head, would the war still have happened? According to the s2 previews she appears to have riled them up pretty good. Wonder if Cylon and Man would have found a way to co-exist peacefully if it weren't for religious nut jobs frakking it all up as usual.

If their sapients being used for slave labor with the sort of bizarre hypocrisy seen by Graystone (they're all just tools except for my special girl!), likely it would be inevitable but delayed.

The question is if minus Clarice the delay would be long enough by a decade for the Five to arrive.

Plus, considering how it was put together I wouldn't be surprised if the Cylon rights movement was really being put forward by Lacey.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline newman

The question is if minus Clarice the delay would be long enough by a decade for the Five to arrive.

That's what I was getting at, according to bsg canon the five arrived just a bit too late, any amount of time this would have bought might have been enough to prevent the first war. What would have happened after that is anyone's guess, of course - I agree that in the long run it was probably inevitable since they were treated as tools and not equals. Unless of course the five managed to do a difference on that front too.

Offline -Norbert-

A bit too late? Didn't the Cylon war rage on for a long while?
When the five arrived, they were the reason for the Cylons to stop the war, in exchange for ressurection technology.

Offline newman

The Cylon war lasted for a bit over 12 years. When you're traveling interstellar distances without an FTL drive, 12 years is pocket change :)
Just wondering if things would have been different with Clarice out of the picture. Another reason it's a crying shame to see the show canceled - I really wanted to see her brutally murdered, preferably by a centurion using a blunt object.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 05:01:31 pm by newman »

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
My first unanswered question is, "What happens to Tamara?" There were, after all, two Deadwalkers and not just one. My second question is, "Since she does not even get mentioned anywhere in BSG, what becomes of Zoe in the end?"
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting