Author Topic: Resolution issue  (Read 9283 times)

Hi All,

Sorry if you've had this 100 times before, but I'm new to modding and only just got back into PC gaming after a ~15 year hiatus.

I've installed Freespace 2 and FSO and also the MediaVPs mod for the amazing hi res textures. Problem is that when I load into a mission it cuts a chunk off the side of the screen. Essentially I can see up to the edge of the energy management guages (GSE) but not the amount of missiles I have or the other wings etc.

I've been frantically searching for a fix but can't find anything which is quite the same issue. I feel relatively sure it's because I'm playing on a 60" 4K tv but other games I play like Overwatch play fine. I've tried a whole host of resolution settings but most render the game unplayable.

Can anyone offer some assistance. I need my nostalgia kick.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
What Operating System you are using?

Because you are using a very high resolution, it is possible that the automatic scaling by Windows 8/10 is active. But afaik FSO will also still be scaled with values that are different from 100%.

So try to change your scaling in Windows to 100% through the general display settings. Maybe that helps.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
I think FSO has trouble dealing with 4K resolutions. It's a known problem but hasn't been fixed yet since none of the coders can run the game in 4K.

Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post. It might help diagnose the problem further.

Because you are using a very high resolution, it is possible that the automatic scaling by Windows 8/10 is active. But afaik FSO will also still be scaled with values that are different from 100%.

So try to change your scaling in Windows to 100% through the general display settings. Maybe that helps.

Alas I have tried this, it didnt fix the issue and made my computer practically unusable because it was so small.

Thank you for your help though, it is much appreciated.

I think FSO has trouble dealing with 4K resolutions. It's a known problem but hasn't been fixed yet since none of the coders can run the game in 4K.

Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post. It might help diagnose the problem further.

Thank you for helping. I'll post my debug log once avast has decided to stop being a jerk and let me run the fast debug.  :lol:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

I think you can disable it for only specific programs by going to the .exe, right-click, properties, compatibility, change high DPI settings