Author Topic: Fusion Mortar shockwaves?  (Read 9178 times)

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Fusion Mortar shockwaves?
This has always bugged me.

The Fusion Mortar is a capital-mounted anti-capital warhead, and when it hits its target, it never seems to explode into a shockwave--let alone anything at all, really.

Why is this?
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: Fusion Mortar shockwaves?
According to the Wiki, FS2 has shockwave values for the Fusion Mortar. Also, a single rocket from the mortar doesn't do too much damage... it deals about 80 according to the Wiki. The Treb, in comparison does about 840.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The fusion mortar is tiny and does almost nothing. More sustained damage than an SGreen, though.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
I mounted a Fusion Mortar on a destroyer of mine, and watched the warheads fly towards their target--and I kept a close range with them (a Myrmidon can keep up with one of those).

They hit home, and I saw no shockwave.

Perhaps a small shockwave similar in nature to the bomb shockwaves (though, as stated, much smaller) would look a bit nicer?
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The Fusion Mortar is simply an awesome ship-to-ship dumbfire rocket... a glorified Tempest. Just like the Tempest... and most missiles, you're not going to see a shockwave. Like all/most FS2 ship secondaries, there's a degree of splash damage. That's it.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I mounted a Fusion Mortar on a destroyer of mine, and watched the warheads fly towards their target--and I kept a close range with them (a Myrmidon can keep up with one of those).

They hit home, and I saw no shockwave.

Perhaps a small shockwave similar in nature to the bomb shockwaves (though, as stated, much smaller) would look a bit nicer?

Gameplay changes to a retail weapon are probably not a good idea.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Agreed. They didn't have shockwaves in retail; thus they won't get shockwaves in the mediavps. At least that's my opinion.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Once more, glorified, awesome Tempest. The Harpoon does a base damage of 100, yet you see no visible shock wave from an impact against a target. The Fusion Mortar does 80 units of damage/hit. Logically, a visible blue bomb shockwave makes no sense.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Some kind of prettified explosion or real impact effect of some kind would be nice. Probably a better trail too...

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Thaeris: I think you've mis-read or are not understanding the Wiki article on Fusion Mortar. "$Shockwave Speed: 0" means no shockwave. Shockwave Radius 0 also means no shockwave.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Thaeris: I think you've mis-read or are not understanding the Wiki article on Fusion Mortar. "$Shockwave Speed: 0" means no shockwave. Shockwave Radius 0 also means no shockwave.

I read it fully... then checked the actual .tbl file to verify that the data on the Wiki was accurate. FS1's Fusion Mortar does not have a shockwave radius, but FS2's equivalent certainly does. Furthermore, I don't believe any Fusion Mortar round, FS1/2, had a shockwave speed to it. This is comparable to most fighter-sized weapons... which don't have a shockwave speed applied to them. However, if you're in the blast radius, you're going to feel something. Anyone who's blasted something at close range to pieces with Tempests will know that... in other words, everyone does.  :doubt:

Finally, your comment about "$Shockwave Speed: 0" is invalid in terms of the Wiki; the wiki article provides no shockwave speed data for the Fusion Mortar. If there is an error with the Wiki, it's that "shockwave radius" pertains to blast radius.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 05:40:54 pm by Thaeris »

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

the fusion mortar launches a continous stream of warheads. Do people really want to see pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop on the target? That would look kinda dumb imo.

If someone wants to fix some effects for FSU, why don't they fix the lightning/sparks that show up when a ship gets damaged? They look like something out of retail in my opinion. The lines are too fat to possibly represent any sort of electrical effect.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
We don't need shockwaves for the fusion mortar. What we need is a bigger/better missile impact effect for it.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I'll agree with that.

...Looking at the actual table a few minutes ago... it's surprising to see that the Fusion Mortar does "big damage." It does less damage than a Harpoon, after all.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Tomo

it's surprising to see that the Fusion Mortar does "big damage."
Do you mean the 'huge' flag?
That's just to let it destroy 'Big' ships.

Nobody said it had to destroy them *quickly*.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
That's exactly what I meant, Tomo.  :D

I was merely noting that it was interesting that, despite doing so much less damage than the majority of weapon systems available to fighters in terms of the individual missile, the Fusion Mortar is capable of knocking down a destroyer... theoretically... while more damaging fighter weapons often cannot.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Delay-fuzed rather than the running into stuff and detonating immediately required of antifighter weapons.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
If someone wants to fix some effects for FSU, why don't they fix the lightning/sparks that show up when a ship gets damaged? They look like something out of retail in my opinion. The lines are too fat to possibly represent any sort of electrical effect.
Actually out of Retail would be pixel-thin electrical damage effects. :P

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Actually out of Retail would be pixel-thin electrical damage effects. :P

I asked about that once, the problem is just that there's no texture for them (IIRC). I don't know if it's just not programmed to use a texture, or the texture is hard-coded and nobody's bothered to make one and put it in the mediavps, but I certainly would like to see it get textured as well.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
tl;dr

But imo the only way for a rocket to deal significant damage is with a shaped charge and that probably wouldn't produce much of a shockwave.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!