Author Topic: Stellar enhancements  (Read 92046 times)

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
If you ask me ( and you did :) ) they are a good deal better than the generic systems we had before.  I also like the correct lighting -- not funny neon colors, but nice appropriate shades.  The idea was to create a set of standard backgrounds for star systems so that one would know from the background alone what system one was in.  These stars go a long way towards that end.  The other set of stars I listed would cover FS1 and most of the other major campaigns.

It might be interesting to experiment with the lens flares a bit more, but I do think that the stars alone are quite a step forward.  I had a small accident last weekend, and so have not yet asked DaBrain about including these in the mediavps.  I do think it appropriate to do so; especially if those other half dozen system get completed soon.  Thanks for all of your work so far.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
BTW: Why is it that "Into The Lions Den" (loop2-2) an "SF Dragon (terrans)" is now part of the starting ships pool?

Nifty, very nostalgic of when you get to fly it the first time, but it shouldn't be there.

I'm currently revising all of the files for consistancy. Things like "+Flags: ( )+Respawn Priority: 0" as one line getting fixed. Any additional values that could be created by opening and saving in FRED (Retail) being applied evenly. Etc.

Happened to notice the above. Made me laugh. Still think they should be loki's, but I'll have audio files soon.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline M87

I finally decided to experiment with new techniques for making stars. Here are four experimental stars that should finish off the FS1 list: α Centauri A and B, and α Scorpii A and B. These stars seem easier on the eye in comparison to the others stars I had been working on. Anyway, try them out and tell me what you think. I still need to work on the lens flares, so I will reply when those are done.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline peterv

Very nice :)

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Do you still need any help in designing mission backgrounds. I can do a few if you want some :)
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline Admiral Nelson

These are great.  There are still two stars missing from the FS1 list -- Altair and Sol.  Altair is for some reason also very common in other campaigns.

@ shiv_pl.  I have LS backgrounds for most systems by now.  Some important ones that are missing are:

Laramis (Green star, Cyan (#5) LS nebulae)
Luyten 726-8 (2 red dwarfs (M5.5 V/M6 V), Yellow (#8) LS nebulae)
Wolf 359 (1 red dwarf (M6.5 Ve), Fiery (#7) LS nebulae)

If you would like to create any of these.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 03:25:29 pm by Admiral Nelson »
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline M87

Here are the last two stars, as well as their respective lens flares.

@ Admiral Nelson. If you don't mind, could you post some screenshots of these experimental stars? I just need to see how they came out so I can perform any alterations if necessary. Also, if those four stars you mentioned in your last reply need updating, I'll work on them when I can. Thanks in advance.

Offline peterv

Thanks again :)

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
I can take Laramis.
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
how's this coming along?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline M87

Hey,

I've made more experimental stars, but before I release them I need to see how the latest batch came out so I can make any necessary changes. I can't run FS2 on my laptop, so if someone could post some screenshots that'd be great.

Offline Admiral Nelson

Hey, Matt, I missed this post the first time.  Feel free to send me an e-mail directly next time.

Alpha Centauri:

Altair:

One note, I need the correct RGB values for these stars for the lighting to be right -- I just used approximate values for now.

I am also attaching a list of all the stars in the most common nodemaps.  I have indicated those for which you have made stars, the RGB values and whether or not matching coronae exist.  We've got all of the FS1 stars now, which is fantastic, but not all of the coronae.  Actually, if you look at this list, it is remarkable just how much has been done already!

If you ask me, it would be best to finish the coronae for the stars that you have made already, and then do the few remaining real stars.  Of these probably Regulus is the most important -- many of what are left are just red dwarf stars anyway.

Offline M87

Looks like I won't have to be making any changes after all. I'm going to start replacing all of the stars that I have provided so far with the new template that I have made for the latest batch. Here are the RGB values:

α Scorpii A: unchanged
α Scorpii B: unchanged

α Centauri A: 255 245 242
α Centauri B: 255 224 188

α Aquilae: 200 213 255

the Sun: unchanged

I did not make Proxima Centauri (α Centauri C) for the reason that the star is so dim, it would not stand out visually in the sky near α Centauri A and B. If someone wants to create a mission near Proxima Centauri and needs the star, I'll add it to my list.

Also, I would like to hear your opinions and suggestions on some of these fantasy stars and their real-life counterparts. I understand the consensus is that Vasuda is β Hydri, and that Tau Sigma is τ Ceti. Does anybody have any ideas on stars like Delphi, Ikeya, Ribos, or Lamaris, for example?

Offline Admiral Nelson

Proxima Centauri doesn't appear in FS1 for just the reason you mention.  Ikeya is a violet star in the new Port, and Ribos red.  Talania is a brown dwarf.  I haven't heard of any real association of the fantasy systems with real places.

If you wouldn't mind, can you first do coronae for:
Betelgeuse
Beta Aquilae
Delta Serpentis

These will complete the FS1 stars both with an actual star and with color matched coronae.

Offline M87

Sure, I'll try to have something by the end of the week. I also have attached an image to show you the appearance of α Centauri B from A. By the way, how did Antares come out? Thanks, and I'll reply when I have some new lens flare images for you.

EDIT: I forgot to attach the image.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 05:54:46 pm by M87 »

Offline Admiral Nelson

Antares A:

Antares B:

Offline M87

I'm pretty sure that is the old Antares that I made when I first started. The newer "experimental" Antares A and B are in one of the attachments (I believe the first one). Could you give those files a try?

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Those flares are pretty nice. ;)
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I'm actually holding off on replaying FS1 until these new backgrounds get implemented.  I loves me some new backgrounds.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D