Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 588907 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: Derek Smart might be taking legal action over Star Citizen
DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Except the article isn't basing its claims on Derek. You know, details...

Well, Chris Roberts seems to think they do.

And he has absolutely no evidence of that. It's completely dishonest and it smacks of desperation.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Except the article isn't basing its claims on Derek. You know, details...

Well, Chris Roberts seems to think they do.

And he has absolutely no evidence of that. It's completely dishonest and it smacks of desperation.

It's even amusing how in his response letter he talks about Derek in his wing commander days, bad mouths BC3000, etcetera and so forth.  Attacks the reporter. Attacks Derek Smart. Attacks the credibility of the informants.
Doesn't seem to mention that some of DSmart's games have scored as well or higher than his own projects like Starlancer.  I wonder if the success of Wing Commander is due to being at Origin with Garriot, and man whose games are arguably always improving and always getting finished.

Offline Luis Dias

I kind of imagine these two still sperging against each other when they are ninety years old, about whose lawn is greener and whose dog left which poop where...

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I kind of imagine these two still sperging against each other when they are ninety years old, about whose lawn is greener and whose dog left which poop where...

Derek will probably kill himself once Star Citizen succeeds.  Nothing left for him to live for, really.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Derek will probably kill himself once Star Citizen succeeds.  Nothing left for him to live for, really.

That's a horrendous attitude

thankfully it's incredibly unlikely that star citizen will succeed
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

That's a horrendous attitude

Star Citizen at present course will never succeed.  Wishing eternal life on someone does seem pretty terrible though.

e:f;b

Incidentally on the subject of Derek smart, this article is an interesting read. Though it is a few years old:

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/14/3553620/the-redemption-of-derek-smart

Apologies if it may have been linked in this thread already, I can't recall how I came across it.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
"A lot of people who don't know me, who don't play my games think I've failed and I don't care," Smart says. "When I look at my bank account, I just laugh."

stopped right there

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
And it shouldn't have. If you're a legendary game developer forging a new path in the industry, the ravings of a man who's been known as a clown since the Usenet era should be the easiest thing in the world to dismiss. And yet here Roberts is, trading personal insults and skirting around the legally-actionable accusations against his company.

Yeah, that's the bit to tends to make me sit up and take notice. If I was being accused of racism, ageism and a whole host of other very bad behaviour, my last problem would be whether the game was going to come out on time or not. And the thing is, such claims could easily be proved false. If they said things about emails I'd sent I'd challenge them to publish those emails (or at least send them to The Escapist and give me right of reply). Since those would be very easily proved as not true, I'd go after them first in the hope that I could discredit the rest of the article by association with such obvious lies.

What I would definitely not do is make a personal attack on the journalist concerned, cause that pretty much confirms the whole "Eye of Sauron" thing they were talking about.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Welp, going to say that regardless of the drama (and the rough shod, slow, and inebriated pace of StarCitizen) my faith in the CIG has pretty much evaporated. Currently, the Escapist is taking heat for a charged (and possibly in bad faith article), Derek Smart lets loose like a volley of cannon, and Chris Roberts just doused himself in oil and lit the fuse.

Idiocy in, idiocy out, but given my swaying attitudes and I will confess to initially giving Derek Smart some credence to his claims, my faith in StarCitizen has long since waned and this is the final nail in the coffin. Personally, I think the allegations are hollow since they seem for verbatim taken from Glassdoor, but given Robert's conducts? He's pretty stupid and crude. Overall, just a parade of egoes and mistakes turning into a mess to the point I don't know what to make of it anymore.

But either way, StarCitizen is dead to me.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Those emails are personal correspondence with employees, publishing them would be unethical. What Chris could do is to publish screenshot of SC bank account. There was a specific claim made, that only $ few million of backer money remains. It would be easy to falsify, and that would cast doubt on other information from these sources.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Like I said, I consider the claim of racism, abuse of staff, etc to be much more important. Very few of the staff would have a complete understanding of the companies finances, so it wouldn't discredit the rumours that much if they were wrong but could make a believable story about what they'd heard. You can easily say "I'd heard we had very little money left" and then justify that as being because of some other kind of malfeasance (We have little money, so no Christmas bonuses, you'll get them Christmas 2014 after the game is out). But if you claim someone sent you an abusive email and you can't produce it......

Those emails are personal correspondence with employees, publishing them would be unethical.

If someone claims you said something in an email to them, it is in no way unethical to challenge them to publish that email. If they aren't willing to show an email that they claimed said something, they shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place. And it's not like you aren't asking them for permission, by challenging them to produce the email you've put the onus on them to back up their claims.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 02:37:20 am by karajorma »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, as has been mentioned in this thread already, it would be trivial for CIG and CR to defeat these accusations (well, maybe not exactly trivial when it comes to things like accounting statements, but you get the idea). That they haven't, that they've decided to go on the attack and try to discredit the reporter and the article instead, that's kinda worrying.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

And it was by Chris himself, wherein such a task would probably demand the PR guy to deliver a much more contained version of that screed. As it stands, we get a glimpse of Chris' demeanour and character, which kinda resonates with the picture that the Escapist's article reports on.

My only doubts now reside on the speed of the downfall.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
You are assuming that the sources have the emails. The way I understood it, these sources are claiming to be memories of alleged former employees, so they probably do not have any access to CIG internal communications anymore, and its just "he said, she said" situation. In addition to that, these emails may contain personal information about other employees, not just about sources themselves, and it would indeed be unethical and unprofessional to publish them without agreement of everyone involved. Especially if the emails may contain some criticism of employee performances. You dont just publish internal comms because someone said you are racist with no evidence to back it up..

And in the end, the accusation about only $8 million of backer money remaining is much more serious, IMHO, because it would kill the whole project and could be an indication of fraud. Thats what CIG should concentrate on, and would also be easy to disprove. In fact, it would be a good idea to publish a rough overview of CIG expenses, it is one area where CIG is strangely silent, even tough rest of the development is pretty open.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 04:31:23 am by 666maslo666 »
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Luis Dias

I do think the accusations of sexism and racism are very important. The Escapist phrases it as something they didn't have their own eyes at it. They should have been more cautious about those, and if they still thought it was an important fact to state, they should have totally caveated that **** out with innumerous adjectives.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You are assuming that the sources have the emails. The way I understood it, these sources are claiming to be memories of alleged former employees, so they probably do not have any access to CIG internal communications anymore, and its just "he said, she said" situation. In addition to that, these emails may contain personal information about other employees, not just about sources themselves, and it would indeed be unethical and unprofessional to publish them without agreement of everyone involved. Especially if the emails may contain some criticism of employee performances. You dont just publish internal comms because someone said you are racist with no evidence to back it up..

And once again, you simply challenge them to give you permission to post the full emails then. You seem to be missing my point that I'm saying you get permission from the source to open this up.

Sure they may mention other employees in some of the emails, but if you're going to claim that every single abusive email mentions someone else, your credibility is going to go down a lot.

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
For me, the tipping point in this whole mess is the childish tantrum that Chris Roberts threw and personal attacks against the journalist in question.

Now Roberts maybe under stress, or dealing with personal stuff and made a very bad mistake by pretty much up opening the sluice gates and letting out pent up frustration.

But that doesn't excuse him from acting like an idiot - instead of a response "We think these are claims that need to be addressed..." he flipped his lid, attacked the journalist, Derek Smart, and did little to assuage the situation.

And so it fuels the speculation and claims against him and the StarCitizen brand. And the fanbois? Oh boy, this is why I left the SC forums long ago because of the cultist thuggery for anyone challenging the Pope Chris Roberts. What the current mess reveals is that rather than a measured response, it's like watching people figure skating with enraged bears and expecting an Olympic performance.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.