Author Topic: WCHF Discussion thread (was: kevin caccamo's landreich campaign?)  (Read 146738 times)

Offline Arrow

• Denglish Interpreter
Re: kevin caccamo's landreich campaign?
Hi Talon! If you don´t mind, I´ll introduce your project with the next news article on wingcenter.net...

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Sure! More publicity means more feedback, and it's always inspiring to hear more.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Arrow

• Denglish Interpreter
Fine! Will do. Can you read German?  :)

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
I can't read/write in German, but sometimes I do check wingcenter.net, and if I see anything interesting, I might use Google translator and try to interpret the messages.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).

Offline Arrow

• Denglish Interpreter
You do that. Am I right to assume, your campaign will feature the events of False Colors directly?

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
The WCHF demo campaign will begin some time before False Colors (when the Blitzkreig and the other Landreich ships are chasing down Karga), and then the main campaign will follow the events of FC through Rider's perspective.

That way, the player can get some action right away, and I won't have to use too many assets that aren't available in the WCSaga Prologue or anywhere else.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 09:43:47 pm by Talon 1024 »

Offline Arrow

• Denglish Interpreter
Thanks. I think, I got it all covered now. I´d like to show some of your screencaps, too. I know some guys who will be thrilled to seeing a Wake-class carrier.

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
I'd like to show some of your screencaps, too. I know some guys who will be thrilled to seeing a Wake-class carrier.
Sure, you can use as many WCHF screenshots as you wish.

Offline Arrow

• Denglish Interpreter
Thanks. Well, news is online.

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
Thanks, Arrow.  I tried reading some of the replies through Google translator, and as far as I can tell, the big complaints are:
- The green is too bright.  My reply: It's green on the basis that the Landreichers just salvaged the Tarawa, but I don't know if they would have repainted it, and I don't really see a reason for them to do so.  I made the green colour bright to distinguish my mod from Standoff, but I'll probably tweak the green for the WCHF demo release.  I made the Landreich fighters blue based on how the majority of the roundel is blue.
- The back of the hangar bay is open, and it shouldn't be.  My reply: I'll fix that eventually.
- The new fighters in WCHF don't look like the fighters in the WCSaga Prologue.  My reply: I was actually trying to make the new WCHF fighters look like the WCSaga Prologue fighters to a certain extent.  I also tried to make the capships look like the Saga Prologue capships by reusing and "chopping" the base texture.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 04:21:26 pm by Talon 1024 »

Offline Arrow

• Denglish Interpreter
Gosh, you´re already well informed.  :) Well, the concerns were, that your greenish capships would not really match the look of Saga´s models with that bluehish confed pattern. I copied your reply to the wingcenter thread, whose guys really liked what they saw. Maybe, you´ll get some assistance from there. I appreciate your project very much because it finally sheds some light on the forgotten Landreich Space Force, which was never shown before! Thumbs up!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 07:52:44 pm by Arrow »

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Looking at the images I think your main problem isn't the green itsself. I think that you don't use the spec map quite right. For example, paint shouldn't be as reflective as a pure metal surface so it would be good to tune the map down whereever you have a painted surface.
I would also in general tune the brightness of the spec map a bit down, except you think that the Landreich or Confed builds their ships out of highly polished metal ^_^

Still I would say that you wait with the creation of new spec maps a little bit till Saga is released. That is if you want to base your mod on the final version. We made quite some changes since the prologue and it could save you a bit of work.

Other little things I noticed.
In the image with the Raptor I noticed that the normalmap on the nose insn't centered. Maybe you can reallign it a bit.
The turrrets on the Exceter model look a bit big for the ships size. Maybe reduce the size of the turrets just a little bit?
The Rapier model looks somewhat familiar...did you based it on the concept for the movie Rapier that wasn't used in the end? I think it looks a little bit flat on the main hull but has quite thick wings.

Even if there is a lot of critics in this post, don't let it get to much to you. I think for a one man project you are doing very well and I just want to tease you a bit so in the end you project will be even better ^_^
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
Hi Kevin. It was my reply in the Wingcenter Forum. I think the Standoff Modell doesnt really fix in compare to the Saga Modells. Its look to different. Standoff is a nice Mod. No question. But perhaps you ask Scooby for a little assistenz for a Exeter Modell. Perhaps also Howard Day. His Modell is awesome and would be nice to see it in your mod. Here is the Link:
]http://www.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/howieexeter01.jpg]
http://www.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/howieexeter02.jpg
As you can see Howard uses the Prints from Claw Marks for the Armamend (Tripple Heavy Neutron Gun Turret in Front, one dual in the Center below and 6 Dual Laser Turrets. Perhaps he give you permission to use also the Bengal Carrier:
]http://www.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/howiebengal24.jpg]
]http://www.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/howiebengal29.jpg]
with is also compared to the Claw Marks Prints. 6 Heavy Dual Neutron Laser Turrets and 14 Dual Laser Turrets, whats in my opinion the reason why the Tigers  Claw is alone because it has enough firepower :)
It would be great if I could get help from Scooby Doo or get ahold of Howard Day's Exeter model.  If I can get some help from the Saga team after they release the final version, I'll try and improve the textures on the Wake and Exeter.  Although the turret positions may not match the positions in the blueprints, the turrets are all there, but I should change the positions to make the turrets to make the ship more accurate to the blueprints.  And as for the Bengal, I don't really need it, since Kruger didn't purchase any Bengals, at least as far as I know.

What i say with the Fighters was this: Its look not as to be as steel. The Chrom Affect (sry for my bad english ._. ) is missing. The Modells a fine. I was tell the People from Wingcenter and Saga more then 5 years that i want the Modells from Wing Commander 1+2 to make a Remake for Saga with better Grafics and Sounds. Because of this i watch your Mod since you accounce it. The Tarawa Class is in my Opinion tooooooo green. Perhaps you should use a Metall- Look- Green. The Rear Entry is not fit with the books, but you say that you perhaps close it.
When you talk about the "Chrome effect" are you talking about how the fighters reflect the space backdrops? As for the bright green, I'm working on making it less saturated and more realistic.  I added some pictures below to show off my new green colour.

The Story from the Landreich is nice. Because we only know their Story from the Books.

If you need help for Missions, i would help you. I m not a Designer and no plan to use Max 3d (shame :( ) but i can build Missions (i have some experience with the Fred Editor and have make several Missions for my own Mod and Ingame Cutscenes.

If you have already one for the Missions then i wish you good look for the  Mod and a look forward to see the first Campaign :)

One Question is left: What Ships will be in your Mod finaly?
Well, maybe I would need some help in planning the missions, but that depends on how well you know the backstory of the Landreich and False Colors.  As for the ships in the demo, I will have all of the WC1 fighters, plus the Wake, the Exeter, the Bhantkara, and the Ralaxath. (if I can get the model from JasonRocZ)  

Looking at the images I think your main problem isn't the green itsself. I think that you don't use the spec map quite right. For example, paint shouldn't be as reflective as a pure metal surface so it would be good to tune the map down whereever you have a painted surface.
I would also in general tune the brightness of the spec map a bit down, except you think that the Landreich or Confed builds their ships out of highly polished metal ^_^
Well, when I took those screenshots, I didn't even make the specmaps yet...  However, I'm testing out a new specmap now.

The Rapier model looks somewhat familiar...did you based it on the concept for the movie Rapier that wasn't used in the end? I think it looks a little bit flat on the main hull but has quite thick wings.
I did base it on Dean McCall's WCMovie Rapier concept art, but since then I've done a lot of tweaking to the geometry to make it more accurate to the original WC1 bitmaps.

Testing out a new green colour, and a new specular map for the gray metal.
Shaded:

Unshaded:

Oecumene system background preview:

Updated Rapier II model:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 01:42:25 am by Talon 1024 »

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Okay if the ships are missing specmaps then its no wonder it looks to bright. The new map looks better, yet could still use some improvments. I think you are on the right track. Keep experimenting with them till you get a felling on how to create them.

As for the Rapier model. The wings are still very blocky. Give them a bit more of an edge > instead of | . Hope you get what I mean ^_^
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
I think that the story from Kruger and his Army has much more room for aditional content.
Wasn't it also mentioned in the books that the Landreich had some quite weird modifications of standart fighters like a Ferret with an oversized engine or something like that?
Could be interesting to see. Still you would have to balance out the additional speed you gain as the drawback from the book, that this version has a tendancy do blow up, is hard to simulate I guess ^_^

Offline Arrow

• Denglish Interpreter
Didn´t the novels also say, that the Landreich Forces use grey colour patterns on their ships instead of confed´s green? There´s so much new stuff to come up with in case of the Landreich. 

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
I also think it would be a good idea to go through the novels and other sources to gether as much info as possible about the Landreich. It could be a pretty interesting so see what is know about them.

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
Some experiments with "Wear and tear".  Basically, I take the bumpmap layer, remove some parts, blur it, and change the blend mode to subtract.

Unfortunately, I don't have any Exeter models (apart from the very old Homeworld 1 mod).  If I could get Howard's model I could convert it for you.

With the "wear and tear" it wouldn't also hurt to have the panels tone vary from panel to panel (to resemble replacement).

That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
New maps for the Wake and Exeter:

I think they turned out very well.