Author Topic: "Where we stand" (Status update)  (Read 9858 times)

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
"Where we stand" (Status update)
Looks like I found another Wing Commander fan. ;7

Thanks. :)

*goes off to 3dc*
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Originally posted by DaBrain
Damn.... I can't wait. This is my favourite mod after all.

That's the reason I never joined you guys. This is the one mod I want t play without all contend spoiled. :)

:yes:

This MOD is awesome.  It brings back the days I used to play WC3 for the first time except its tech lives up to comparisons of released products of today.  It's so worth being an over the shelf product.  The sound quality and techniques used are phenomenal.  Explosions are totally realistic, both visually as well as audibly, unlike any other MOD I have seen before.  The in mission scene transitions and how things are acted out are unbelievable; even of professional grade.  Old WC fan?  No problem, this makes older releases of the Wing Commander series look like legacy products, and yet maintains so much of the enjoyed theme, plus some.  Not a WC fan?  No problem either; this product is enriched with nothing but pure grade excitement, thrill and the need to think as you go.  As others have stated, the game works off of a story, and in no way does it short live it. It is the ultimate challenger in space flight simulation.  It is Origin Inc. all over again.  Hell with Ultima Online, WC rocked and here it rocks again.  This product deserves a place in the GameStop shelf at a fee.  Luckily for the public it's built on an engine that has a GNU license.  Now isn’t that a miracle in itself?  You really need to try this MOD out the moment it comes out.  You won’t be disappointed.  =P
The big cool ship...

@xenthorious:  ITS GOOD YOU'RE NOT HYPING IT UP TOO MUCH  ISNT IT.

:)

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Wow...we should take xenthorious comment as discription for a commercial ^_^

@xenthorious
Sounds a little ironic to me if you hype the mod so much ^_^
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Sphynx

I'm glad you're excited, xenthorious! I think other people will be too, when they get to play it.

I'm sure the team wouldn't mind if they were getting paid, either. But this is a labor of love.
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Originally posted by gevatter Lars
Wow...we should take xenthorious comment as discription for a commercial ^_^

@xenthorious
Sounds a little ironic to me if you hype the mod so much ^_^

You have to consider several factors.  The Wing Commander serious in reality is a legacy series.  Many of its newer predecessors have added far more technical realism and functionality within there design.  With Origin focusing on Ultima Online, and now behind us, the Wing Commander Sega (not the mod project) has not had the opportunity to keep up while within the gaming industry.    In addition, many similar games use a similar war based theme; Humans are tough to kill but are losing the war against an alien and are desperately trying to keep Earth safe.  You can’t deny that this is just a VERY common theme.  But the Wing Commander series holds uniqueness over others.  Technology wise, both nations are relatively the same.  Numbers are what makes the real difference between the two nations, and how each military using there newly discovered tech to gain an edge over each other makes a dramatic difference in the war effort.  In Wing Commander 1, the confed were winning the war.  Then the Tiger’s Claw was destroyed by enemy bombers using the newly discovered stealth tech by the Kilrathi.  Then the war was at a stale mate until the Concordia was destroyed (crash landed), then the Confed began to slip in power.  The war is actually very leveled off.  This is of a very uncommon environment for games similar to this.  It simulates world war two, with the US vs. Germany.  It is very leveled off and very balanced.  Each new tech causes an edge to win the war, and strategy plays an equality important role.  The Wing Commander Series was based off of giving you the opportunity to control some of that strategy.  It is a very original theme.  Thus, creating a game which exploits every possible opportunity in a theme like this, you can’t deny that the work is absolutely phenomenal.  WCS, IMO have successfully extracted all the possible enjoyment they could emit from a game based off of the story they followed.

But that’s only the beginning.  They also have to compare there product (which is based off of a legacy series) that need to maintain a similar theme in the design of the legacy models with the competition found with models which are basically unrestricted.  IMO, they blew away the problem with a nuclear bomb.

But if that wasn’t enough, they added an extra thing that no one thought about.  And for this, I give them full credit.  They made the game sound like you’re really in a battle.  I know that this sound wield, but when you play the game, you will see what I mean.  I don’t want to go into details because I would be spoiling it for you, but there are many audible qualities within the game which have greater detail and realism then any other mod I have seen.

Finally, many of the voice actors sound very professional.  There attitude, words they use, energy, and even tone are all smack in balance to what you would expect from a game of this type.  Again, you guys need to try it out (if you haven’t already).  It is very much worth it.
The big cool ship...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've never played a single one of the Wing Commander games, but from what I've seen/heard of this mod, I'm going to be downloading and installing it the day it comes out. :)

ditto here.  i check this forum every day just for a nugget of new info on this mod.  the quality of work i've seen so far is astounding and makes me ache for blasting some furballs outta the stars in my hellcat V.

Offline aipz

• War,war never changes...
Will your mod run as a standalone or will it still require FS 2?
Wiil it run under TBP, if I don't have the original FS 2?
"Another fellow pilot"

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Their will be a standalone pack so you don't need FS2 to run it.
I can't tell if it works together with TBP installation...never tested it but I doubt it.
Still depending on what files to install you could make a copy of your TBP installation and delete everything TBP and then copy the WCS stuff into it....well at least in theory.
Still I would recommend to use a fresh installation of our pack when its released.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."

Originally posted by gevatter Lars
Their will be a standalone pack so you don't need FS2 to run it.
I can't tell if it works together with TBP installation...never tested it but I doubt it.
Still depending on what files to install you could make a copy of your TBP installation and delete everything TBP and then copy the WCS stuff into it....well at least in theory.
Still I would recommend to use a fresh installation of our pack when its released.

Unless something changes, TBP and WCS will work together independantly.  I've sucessfully tested an install of the beta versions of WCS and the released installs of TBP.  Both are installed in the registry seperately.  Both can be uninsalled seperately.  Both can be run seperately.  Both config files do not appear to conflict with each other.
The big cool ship...

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Thats good news...didn't thought that both things would run together.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yeah, but then you will have to copy folders yourself. WCS is completly self-extracting and will create some sort of Freespace-Installation, just like the TBP does.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Since the status is fairly close to completion, I was wondering IF the VA is done or not? Supposedly I was on the list over a year ago (probably as Star Dragon) but never got a call back about a script or anything (still have the alpha test build).

Have I been dropped from the list do to no available slots, or simple accident?

No biggie, just curious...
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
To be honest, I have no idea. AFAIK, there are still roles for the main-campaign left (which has +30 Missions).

What we are close to release, is the grown-up demo which we have converted into a prologue to the main-campaign, but it has not so many missions :) (real amount is a secret, I think ) . For the prologue, the voice-acting is settled though.

It would be best if you ask Tolwyn next week (he's currently at vacation), he has the overview over the actors, which I haven't
(gotta take care of other things ;) )

Starman©
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline dragon1

Please tell me that you guys plan to include the FRED_2 utility for creating your own missions.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, I'm not sure that we include it in the package (just for the reason to save a little filesize :) ), but even if we don't include it, you can download it always here on HLP. When you then throw the file into the main wcs folder, you will be able to create missions with it, like with any other freespace installation :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline dragon1

Sweet!!!

Offline aipz

• War,war never changes...
It's been awfully quiet down here at WC Saga for the past two weeks... Like in a grave *brrr*

Guess the project's website is undergoing really big changes?
As far I can say I can't wait till the demo is ready *drooling*
Never flew any WC games so it's the reason I'm that impatient...

Could I ask for a small status update?

Thanks, as far i can see your mod is going to be astonishing!
"Another fellow pilot"

Offline Sphynx

As a matter of fact, I have one prepared right here:

Greetings, faithful fans!

Thank you for your support. As the others have said, you can rest assured that there is a great deal of work going into this project, even with our busy lives and lack of new screenshots. We have been doing a lot of spit-and-polish work with the game engine, the in-game fiction, and so forth, and so a lot of it doesn't translate well into screen shots.

But, we realize that fans want to see progress. So, you can expect some updates and new things to look at very soon, and while I cannot give an exact date, we are really not far at all from releasing the Prologue (barring some major real life catastrophe... again! Real life has been tough on our team members lately with everything ranging from moving fiascos, job changes, and-- sadly enough-- personal losses, just to name a few. But we're hanging in there). Also, once we resolve the coding issues that are holding up the Prologue, that will allow us to release the main campaign much more quickly.

Thanks for your continued interest in WC Saga. We are building this mod to make it as enjoyable as possible for the fans. I have been a part of the play-testing team, and in my opinion you will think that the wait has been well worth it. We haven't forgotten you, our encouraging fans. Keep the faith, good things are coming soon!

-Sphynx
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.