Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 573333 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Mine :P
For those unaware, the server is now running 1.6.6, feel free to upgrade :D
I just updated my private server last night as well.  So far, so good.  Chunk loading lag seems to be better, but I still see it.
It seems worse...

It's running much better for me but there are still moments of crippling lag
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
I just found the Optimine mod.  Huge framerate boost on my crappy comp.  I wonder if it will work on multi?
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, what's the server address and what version is it running? I'm itching to try out SMP and I figure with HLPers is the best way to do so. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Ok, what's the server address and what version is it running? I'm itching to try out SMP and I figure with HLPers is the best way to do so. :p
The one I op on is running on 50.22.36.159:25608, version 1.6.6 (I'd link you to the website, but it appears to be down ATM)
I won't be on for much longer, but there's bound to be quite a few people on tonight, so have fun :P
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I just found the Optimine mod.  Huge framerate boost on my crappy comp.  I wonder if it will work on multi?

from what i understand optimine modifies how chunks are rendered and saved, so while you'll still get better fps due to how it renders on your end, it wont effect net lag from the server.

there IS an optimine for minecraft servers to help it run a bit more smoothly (chunk saving mostly), but it still wont effect anything net-side.

edit:    also, depending on how crappy the comp is there is a second mod for intelgrated graphics designed to work with optimine for further fps increase, unfortunetly i cant remember the name, or if it was even updated past 1.3.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
there IS an optimine for minecraft servers to help it run a bit more smoothly (chunk saving mostly), but it still wont effect anything net-side.
Mind linking to this?  I can't seem to find it, and since the forums combined with the curse network (*spit*), it's next to impossible to find anything specific, as well as offsite links are br0ken.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
well crap, there used to be one for 1.3, my local server still uses it an everything but i can't find it anywhere... i also cant find a 1.6.6 server to test inserting normal optimine files on, but i'll do so when i can.

is there nothing on the bukkit forums to help optimize net-side or chunk saving? they would probably be better at it then a forum of client-side mods.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
well crap, there used to be one for 1.3, my local server still uses it an everything but i can't find it anywhere... i also cant find a 1.6.6 server to test inserting normal optimine files on, but i'll do so when i can.

is there nothing on the bukkit forums to help optimize net-side or chunk saving? they would probably be better at it then a forum of client-side mods.
Searching for optimine on the bukkit forums turns up a few links, but they are all discussing the client side mod (which I do use).  Otherwise, I'm not getting anything...  Well, there is one about setting up a RAM disk for world storage, but that's not quite what I'm looking for.   :)
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Woohoo, my first multiplayer ever! Fun! :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
I found mine linked in with OptiFog.  Which is more recent and incorporates optiMine.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Finally got to the first real connection for my subway on Richard's server. Now I just have to lay more of the necessary track. Subway's just above bedrock can be a pain. So much lava.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Oh yeah, if you get the chance building above ground or even elevated is much more fun... of course getting the iron is not.

All in a day of spleef...

After some fun with shade's spleef arena (it has a block cobble in it, sorry), I had a good run with HoundofDarkness searching through half of the multiple cave systems below my castle for dungeons. We did not find any while I was still on, and only got 20 iron and some other stuff out of our explorations. :lol:

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Heh... Hound needed some iron just as I found myself arriving at a rail station in the middle of a row of missing chunks, so I gave him my coordinates and spotted for him when he arrived, directing him to the 3 or 4 iron veins in the area that were reasonably close to the surface. It was actually kinda fun... a nice verbal challenge. :)

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Originally we were searching for dungeon treasure after I just gave a tour of the lagoon area. I just recently gained 1 1/2 stacks of iron from spelunking, so I just gave all of the stuff we got to him.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Subway's just above bedrock can be a pain. So much lava.

Why don't you build just above that, while standing on level 10 (y = 12.62)? That'll keep you safe from the majority of the bedrock-level lava pools, which go up to level 9.

So, I kind of decided that I wanted to make a combination lock.  Nothing complicated....  I just want this little keypad to turn off this little torch.  Easy!  Right?

Wrong!

The circuits span three seperate rooms, two of which are larger than 20m x 20m.  I've run out of redstone three times.  There's a hive of bugs caught in the reset circuit that I need to work out.  It's an incomprehensible web of wires and a giant pain the the rear, but I'm still pleased with it so far, and intend to finish it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 09:01:37 pm by BlueFlames »

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
And the irony is that this server is supposed to have Craftbook for ICs that would make that a lot easier.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
So, I kind of decided that I wanted to make a combination lock.  Nothing complicated....  I just want this little keypad to turn off this little torch.  Easy!  Right?

Well, surely all you need is a series of AND gates checking the signal between each one, but that wouldn't work because buttons don't last for more than a second each, so you'd probably have to store the input in a series of RS flip flop gates, however that wouldn't take into account button order, which probably wouldn't be the best of ideas, so you'd need a way to record both what button was pressed, and in what order, probably by using some form of counter outputting a value to one of 5 AND gates also connected to the corresponding button... oh dear I've gone crosseyed...
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

I have RS NOR latches recording buttons pressed in the correct order, using AND gates to determine if the button pressed was the correct button.  I'm building a separate set of AND gates to determine when a button is pressed out of order, in which case a circuit is triggered to reset the state of all of the NOR latches.

It's all simple enough, in theory.  It gets quite a bit more complicated, when you take into account the relatively limited space, how easily redstone wires like to link to one another, and how fickle repeaters are about where they get and deliver their power.  Also, I caught a sudden and severe case of Incompetent, while building the reset circuit, so there's inverters being placed and removed left, right, and center.  I'll be coming back to it tomorrow.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
I have RS NOR latches recording buttons pressed in the correct order, using AND gates to determine if the button pressed was the correct button.  I'm building a separate set of AND gates to determine when a button is pressed out of order, in which case a circuit is triggered to reset the state of all of the NOR latches.

It's all simple enough, in theory.  It gets quite a bit more complicated, when you take into account the relatively limited space, how easily redstone wires like to link to one another, and how fickle repeaters are about where they get and deliver their power.  Also, I caught a sudden and severe case of Incompetent, while building the reset circuit, so there's inverters being placed and removed left, right, and center.  I'll be coming back to it tomorrow.

You just need a couple of flip-flops and a decoder.  But yeah, the space issue is annoying.  I'm too used to just using VHDL.