Author Topic: Android port of Freespace 2 works (demo inside)  (Read 25078 times)

Re: Android port of Freespace 2 works (demo inside)
Because the number of people running Android on PCs is probably rather small, and this release thread received a handful of replies in a year. That's not what keeps people motivated.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Because the number of people running Android on PCs is probably rather small, and this release thread received a handful of replies in a year. That's not what keeps people motivated.
Regardless of that we must try to get that FS2 Android port working.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

...and why?

So far 1 person worked on it and 1 more person released it. The number of people asking for such a Android port was probably even 0 (but I'm not entirely sure). Unless ksotars (future) poll reveals a huge hidden demand, I heavily doubt that it's ever going to happen.

Offline m!m

If you think it it such an important project then maybe you should work on it yourself.

If you think it it such an important project then maybe you should work on it yourself.
But Bryan is already occupied with lots and lots of projects...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
While I always appreciate new features, I'm unsure how big the benefit of a FSO on Android would be. FS tends to have countless controls, of which several are needed to play, in particular for the mods...

I might not play FS2 on an android machine but that doesn't mean I don't think I could find a use for it. Most of us probably have phones sitting around doing nothing, any of them could become a low cost, low power usage stand alone server if you can get android FSO working.

Now whether that is worth the effort of getting it working is another issue. That said, being able to show people FSO running on my phone when I want to show off Diaspora is a lot more impressive than showing them a video.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Getting the standalone to run should be fairly simple compared to a full port since most of the work seems to be porting FSO's renderer to OpenGL ES.

While I always appreciate new features, I'm unsure how big the benefit of a FSO on Android would be. FS tends to have countless controls, of which several are needed to play, in particular for the mods...

I might not play FS2 on an android machine but that doesn't mean I don't think I could find a use for it. Most of us probably have phones sitting around doing nothing, any of them could become a low cost, low power usage stand alone server if you can get android FSO working.

Now whether that is worth the effort of getting it working is another issue. That said, being able to show people FSO running on my phone when I want to show off Diaspora is a lot more impressive than showing them a video.

So it might be more useful than I expected, but I'm still wondering how many would ultimatly use it. ksotar said that the person having done the initial port is still available; but there's no poll thread yet to get lubomir (or somebody else) motivated to work on it. Should I start the poll in that case?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If you make touch controls work and have a dumbed-down mission set (or new simple missions) for mobile, it could really boost the user base.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
If you make touch controls work and have a dumbed-down mission set (or new simple missions) for mobile, it could really boost the user base.

True, it'd be pretty cool. Although there could well be legality issues involved. Also I'd be surprised if anyone took on such a project for free.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter

True, it'd be pretty cool. Although there could well be legality issues involved. Also I'd be surprised if anyone took on such a project for free.
Or we could have Lua subroutines and corresponding SEXPs.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline m!m

Or we could have Lua subroutines and corresponding SEXPs.
:lol: You do know that "subroutines" are just normal functions, right?

Offline starlord

I think of it as a strong achievement from a tech standpoint (wasn't there a WII port of FSOPEN at some point as well?).

However, despite the push of games towards mobile platforms, I'm curious as to how people can play a space sim (one of the most control heavy genres) on such platform. I'm not convinced many people will be interested (or simply able to) play it on that medium.

As to simplifying missions to better suit the platform, wouldn't that mar what makes FS in the first place?

Just my 2 cents here.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Well, I think usage of device orientation sensors would help for pitch/bank controls since you'd just need to tilt your phone/tablet in order to maneuver with your ship. I think someone already made a phone case that doubled as a steering wheel, so it maybe would be possible to use a similar method here.

That would leave us with only a full keyboard of controls, this time without 3 analog axis, yay!
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Phones aren't the only Android devices out there.  The Amazon FireTV is compatible with Bluetooth HID keyboards and mice.  I'm not sure if their controls would be fully available to an app running under FireOS though.  But I just want to make sure that when people think 'Android', 'mobile', 'embedded', etc, they aren't getting tunnel vision with regards to the potential it opens up or thinking that there are no situations in which familiar controls would be available.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline starlord

I say, make pc derived custom arcade cabs (the articulated canopy type) with FS2Open on them. You'll be reinvigorating the arcade market in no time and have a better chance at appealing to customers with the space sim genre.  :D

That is a joke, of course!

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
Sorry to be reviving this thread but one thing that could be used as a reference would be the Android game "Assembly of Worlds" which draws heavy inspiration from Freespace. Maybe making controls similar to that (even if it meant dumbing down some other, more complex things) could go great lengths to making a mobile port a reality.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Oh hey... the side-scrolling SHMUP mod that was released a while ago would be a perfect fit for this, no?

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Oh hey... the side-scrolling SHMUP mod that was released a while ago would be a perfect fit for this, no?
Possibly.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

BTW what's becoming of this?

@Ksotar: any response from lubomir yet?