Author Topic: How they might destroy the Gargant  (Read 41846 times)

Re: How they might destroy the Gargant
Don't mind 214, he has a hard time knowing when someone is talking to him or the post right behind his.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
doesnt know why this is so evil offtopic?

i mean we discuss how to destroy the gargant and someone has say use emp.
now we talk over emp, i know thats a game, but why not talk about the reallife emp, if it help to understand better how it works and maybe it can work in the game itself.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Interesting reads:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_bomb
http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/kopp/apjemp.html
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1996/apjemp.htm
http://unitedstatesaction.com/emp-terror.htm
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/defense/1281421.html

Note that apparently there are ways around the Faraday cage protection and the "late-time EMP effect" (Pop Mech).
Although I'm not sure EMP would work without the Compton effect.  (US action, "Physics of the EMP").
Wild Idea:  Pack compressed air into the Meson-sized warhead??
The technology relies on an electromagnetic pulse that may be conceptualized as an electric shockwave created when a stream of highly energetic photons collides with atoms of low atomic numbers to cause them to eject a 'pulse' of electrons.
So you could make a Compton effect with enough low atomic number atoms.  Was this how the FS2 EMP warheads worked, by using stored atoms of a low atomic number??  I think I'm starting to sound looney here, though... but how did they make the EMP in FS2?  'Cause if a small warhead can knock out a subsystem for a few seconds, perhaps they could be modified to cause major damage, especially if you could get a late-time EMP effect going on inside a cap ship.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 10:08:06 pm by jr2 »

hi,
doesnt know why this is so evil offtopic?

i mean we discuss how to destroy the gargant and someone has say use emp.
now we talk over emp, i know thats a game, but why not talk about the reallife emp, if it help to understand better how it works and maybe it can work in the game itself.

Mehrpack

umm, most intellectuals not only talk about the methods, but how, why, when, where, and who use these weapons. It's like saying, we could nuke Iraq, so let's do it." As opposed to, "Let's go nuke Iraq, but how should we do it, how many people would die, why should we nuke them as opposed to invade, when should we nuke them. . ." 

See the difference?

also, in a video game, you want to think about the game's physics as opposed to real life, because the differences between the two are staggering. . . .

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
umm, most intellectuals not only talk about the methods, but how, why, when, where, and who use these weapons. It's like saying, we could nuke Iraq, so let's do it." As opposed to, "Let's go nuke Iraq, but how should we do it, how many people would die, why should we nuke them as opposed to invade, when should we nuke them. . ." 

See the difference?

also, in a video game, you want to think about the game's physics as opposed to real life, because the differences between the two are staggering. . . .

hi,
i know that this is a game, and that a game make many things different because it will maybe kill the fun.
but our imagination has his source in the real world.

grr, i hate my english  :(

but i will try it:
we have talk to use emp to disable the shivans / gargant.
but we havnt enough informations for it.
so we can only guess if it will work, but if we guess we need more information how it work.
the game doesnt have this informations.
so will we look, that i work ingame, you have to know how it work in the real life, and comparing this informations.

i hope anybody understand this scrap, that i have write :)

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.

umm, we (the GTVA) have EMP technology, and can use it against the shivans. However, we must all remember that this is Woomeister's campaign, and if he wants to, he will use the Gargant, if he doesn't, then we have nothing to worry about. If he does use the Gargant, either A. Earth will be destroyed, or B. the GTVA will destroy the Gargant whichever way Woomeister wants them to.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
or C, none of the above :D

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
umm, we (the GTVA) have EMP technology, and can use it against the shivans. However, we must all remember that this is Woomeister's campaign, and if he wants to, he will use the Gargant, if he doesn't, then we have nothing to worry about. If he does use the Gargant, either A. Earth will be destroyed, or B. the GTVA will destroy the Gargant whichever way Woomeister wants them to.

hi,
yeah i know, but on any must base this discussion.

but anyway, i think its better we quit here this discussion, thats no go really offtopic.

ok?

@woomeister: i chose door D -> blow up the whole ****ing universes :lol:

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.

heh, well, let's just say us gamers like to get off topic.

hey, Woo, what exactly is option C?

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

Option C is off-topic. :lol:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Option C is not destroying Earth or the Gargant.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
So it ends up some kind of derelict?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
no

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Well, my options here as I see it are:
A military action renders Gargant non-threat
B political action renders Gargant non-threat (i.e. make peace with the Shivans, which would probably result in an irate fan murdering you)
C Gargant was never a threat to begin with (i.e. unable to reach T-V space for some reason)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
D Alpha wakes up in his cockpit on a routine patrol mission, and realises the entire Third Shivan Incursion was all a freakin' dream.

i like D, mainly because Woo is too busy NOT telling us what he is doing to the Gargant. . .

Dark Hunter, that's NOT funny

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I'm trying to finnish up my pre EA Sol fleet today, I had to make another destroyer model which I wasn't expecting to do. The only ship not finalised is the Enceladus now.

Well good luck to you....and may I remind you that many are anxiously awaiting the release of the new Infenro.

I hate to push..... I started my ow ncampaign and I know by now it takes forever to complete (the error-checking that is, I've only finished one mission!  :D)

Dark Hunter, that's NOT funny

Yes it was.  ;)

to DH: it didn't make sense

to Woo: yea, DH's campaign looks like it's going to be pretty good. Also, what class is teh Enceladus?

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Also, what class is teh Enceladus?

Space Superiority, like the Apollo.