Author Topic: HLPX-COM: You're All Dying For Your Planet, Right Here!  (Read 118900 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: HLPX-COM: You're All Dying For Your Planet, Right Here!
The interrogation gave us disturbing news: the aliens have a base somewhere on Earth.

i told you, man, i am an oracle

We're on the Ice Shelf here, quite close the edge in fact. What the aliens thought they could abduct out here is mystery..

Taking ice core samples to investigate climate change is a well established scientific practice :cool:. So scientists, obviously.

Does the cold weather actually have an effect on the squad? Or are the marines only not allowed to enter the water becasue they can't swim?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
i told you, man, i am an oracle

THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU PREDICT YOU'D SHOOT BACKSLASH IN THE ASS AND NOT TAKE THE SHOT!?

Because that just happened. At least Hades and esarai managed to stun an Ethereal. Bastard took three hits with the Stun Rods before he went down.

Does the cold weather actually have an effect on the squad? Or are the marines only not allowed to enter the water becasue they can't swim?

I think it may have actually increased energy expenditure, hence E running out, but it might not. There's no water on any other kind of map, and frankly if you go swimming inside the arctic circle you probably have a death wish anyways.

Mind you, personal armor there isn't the wierdest climate-related thing you can do in X-COM.

Because you can wear the jumpsuit on the first stage of the Cydonia assault.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
First: I am utterly ashamed of myself for not noticing this thread up untill now. Good work, a nice glass of Red Wine and this had been the joy of my Sunday evening.

Second: Since the third base is on Philippines, and the names of other bases also have some sort of a connection to something, how about Typhoon Phil (sounds like a G-Grade Western Hero...)

Third: I am also enlisting myself to be a part of the defence, sir. Put me into good use, if needed.
Habeeb it...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
If you wanna capture alien tech and leaders, isn't it a better idea to just let the ufo land and capture it unscratched? As opposed to shooting the snot out of it, and only getting a barely intact one back?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
If you wanna capture alien tech and leaders, isn't it a better idea to just let the ufo land and capture it unscratched? As opposed to shooting the snot out of it, and only getting a barely intact one back?

for one thing it is not forced to land at any point, especially the smaller ships as they are only doing survey flights.

secondly any that get away from you unscathed go against you at the end of month
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Do UFO's ever try to chase and shoot down the dropship mid-flight like they occasionally do in UFO:AI?  And if they do, do you have an opportunity to rescue the survivors?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Do UFO's ever try to chase and shoot down the dropship mid-flight like they occasionally do in UFO:AI?  And if they do, do you have an opportunity to rescue the survivors?

No, UFOs will never attack your aircraft, whether interceptor or Skyranger. If they scout out one of your bases, though, they will send in a battleship at hellacious speed beyond the match of all interceptors.

Offline Veers

My apologies to Firespawn, I have personally written to your family describing your heroic actions and personality. Assuming mail actually leaves the base that is..,

And atleast it's good to see the game progressing well. I've tried my hand a few times at it, getting better. Worst part was when the base was attacked, I had not even attacked 3 ufo's at that point.... :/

Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Why not take a potshot or two at the craft, hopefully damage it, and then drop back to see if it lands?  OFC, then it would probably just RTB, however, that may not be such a bad thing if you are following it all the way back.  ;7

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Victory, as it often does, went not to the smartest or the strongest, but to the side that ****ed up the least.
This is why, on these missions, it's good to recite Shepard's Prayer -- named after Alan Shepard on the first manned Mercury mission.  "Dear God, please don't let me **** up."

StarSlayer killed Goober5001
Well, crap.  Two lives, and they've both been cut down by friendly fire (albeit the first one self-inflicted).  And I appeared to have promising psi resistance, too. :(  Put Goober5002 in the queue then?

By the way, unless you have an incredibly psi-resistant squad, I recommend retreating immediately from an Ethereal terror mission.  You incur a moderate penalty from the civilians killed by the aliens, but because you landed you avoid the massive penalty caused by ignoring the terror site entirely.

In other news, our interrogation of the Floater Leader Squad 2 captured at such cost has yielded important information. We now have a rough location for the alien's staging point for attacking Earth.

[...]

We think, though we are not certain, that the aliens are launching from somewhere in the Cydonia region.
Fortunately, Mars Global Surveyor is currently in orbit around the planet, sporting much higher resolution cameras than the defunct Viking probes, albeit lacking any orbital bombardment capability.  Any chance of posting classified reconnaissance imagery?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hey, anyone here heard of UFO2000?  It's open source, basically a fan-made engine, that comes with fan-made assets, but it's made to be able to drop in the original UFO: Enemy Unknown game assets if you bought the game and have them.  Right now it's only multi as the AI isn't finished yet, but I thought I'd mention (I was perusing UFOPaedia.  I'm sure it's old news to almost everyone here, but if anyone was still in the dark, that's a great site for info).

EDIT:

but because you landed you avoid the massive penalty caused by ignoring the terror site entirely.

This I didn't know, and would have proved useful.  I lost half my crew and didn't have backups yet, and three of the four survivors were injured, with only one having healed by the time I got a Terror Site, and my tank was waiting on delivery or waiting on rounds, I forget which.  It wasn't Ethereals, but you can't do squat with two people usually.  If I'd have known this, I would have landed, maybe taken a quick few potshots if I felt lucky (I can always re-load) and then avoided support dropping from Asia.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 12:54:18 am by jr2 »

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Hey, anyone here heard of UFO2000?  It's open source, basically a fan-made engine, that comes with fan-made assets, but it's made to be able to drop in the original UFO: Enemy Unknown game assets if you bought the game and have them.  Right now it's only multi as the AI isn't finished yet, but I thought I'd mention (I was perusing UFOPaedia.  I'm sure it's old news to almost everyone here, but if anyone was still in the dark, that's a great site for info).

EDIT:

but because you landed you avoid the massive penalty caused by ignoring the terror site entirely.

This I didn't know, and would have proved useful.  I lost half my crew and didn't have backups yet, and three of the four survivors were injured, with only one having healed by the time I got a Terror Site, and my tank was waiting on delivery or waiting on rounds, I forget which.  It wasn't Ethereals, but you can't do squat with two people usually.  If I'd have known this, I would have landed, maybe taken a quick few potshots if I felt lucky (I can always re-load) and then avoided support dropping from Asia.

Is that still under development?
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Mmhmm..

New beta version : 0.9.1176
Mon, 5 Mar 2012

EDIT:
UFO2000 on the social networks

Tue, 13 Mar 2012

Appears that there exists an ufo2000 group on facebook, and it has been there since 2010. Additionally, now we have a new ufo2000 google+ page to provide complete social networks coverage :)
New beta version : 0.9.1176
Mon, 5 Mar 2012
Not too many changes overall, but the necessity of rolling out this new release is justified by the default server address update. Also windows binaries are rebuilt with the recent versions of the library dependencies (allegro, zlib, libpng, ...), and some of them contain security bugfixes. Big thanks to all contributors!
Release notes (more details in svn or git changelog):
Fixed bug #572 ('Add some feedback for trying to move without energy')
Fixed bug #603 ('Messages about TU reservation flood equipment screen')
Fixed bug #617 ('English messages need corrections')
Minor cleanup and refactoring, the game can be compiled with clang++
Compatibility with libpng-1.5
Big endian bugfixes
Hungarian translation
Russian translation update
New beta version : 0.9.1142

Sun, 23 May 2010

Release notes (more details in svn or git changelog):
Minor code cleanups and partial compiler warning fixes
A bit less ugly looking notification when trying to start the game between players with incompatible versions
Resolved bugs:
#595 ('Female unit changing bug ')
#582 ('Demolition Pack of UFO2000 Weapon Set has one wrong sprite')
#554 ('Assert failed at line 195 of units.cpp')
#566 ('Wrong map is loaded when starting the game : Triggers CRC')
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:04:56 am by jr2 »

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
ahhh, ok, I asked because the last time I downloaded it there seemed to be no difference between that version and one I downloaded a year ago.  Probably found an old link or something.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
See EDIT, above.  ;)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Less talky, more reports!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

In theory, yes, but at this point in the game we're waiting on Battleships or a base raid for the last pieces of the puzzle. And you can't shoot down a Battleship with Interceptors unless you stack on five or six and are prepared to lose several of them. While I'd like to strafe alien bases in preparation, that's not going to happen either.

Shot-down ships are less dangerous to assault since they usually kill some crew and might obviate the need for a door breach, so without a necessary research or material goal, I'll shoot them down and take on what's left where possible.

That and if you shoot down the scouting part of the mission, very often the rest of it doesn't come.

By the way, unless you have an incredibly psi-resistant squad, I recommend retreating immediately from an Ethereal terror mission.  You incur a moderate penalty from the civilians killed by the aliens, but because you landed you avoid the massive penalty caused by ignoring the terror site entirely.

I honestly considered it, but I'm operating in the psionics dark still; we only just captured a live Ethereal and haven't researched it yet, and we never took a live Sectoid Commander or Leader to give us psionics before now.

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Dekker and Interceptor 3 were lost attempting to intercept a Terror Ship en route to Lagos; he approached the enemy ship too closely and was killed by return fire. We're very low on Elerium right now, so it's unlikely we'll be able to replace the plasma beams his interceptor was carrying for some time. Hanger 1 at Dekker's Pad will remain empty in the meantime. JGZinv and Interceptor 4 will have to cover Europe and North Africa.

Squad 2 deployed to Lagos. They encountered Ethereals; immediate dust-off was ordered. We're not ready to deal with that.

There is some good news. We have studied alien psionics and think we can, if not construct a defense, at least determine who is vulnerable. We may also be able to create weapons for offensive psionics.

We also have one other new piece of gear.

The Hovertank/Plasma is a reconstruction of an alien Cyberdisc to incorporate a human-style turret rather than the all-aspect firing system the aliens had; we weren't able to replicate it. Use of the unofficial nickname “Spoonzer 3” is highly encouraged.

Finally, a possible replacement for Interceptor 3 has been proposed; the alien-tech Firestorm. Unfortunately, the Firestorm uses Elerium as fuel, and we're critically short of it, so it's unlikely we'll build one.

We also currently have three Floater UFOs down over North America, a Terror Ship, a Supply Ship, and a Large Scout. Squads One and Two are both deployed.

Detailed action reports to follow sometime today or tonight.

A Feddie Story

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I would strongly advocate waiting for the avenger