Author Topic: HLPX-COM: You're All Dying For Your Planet, Right Here!  (Read 118841 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: HLPX-COM: You're All Dying For Your Planet, Right Here!
Squad 3 launches for another Medium Scout recovery, although this wasn't Gortef's kill. The Avenger has been launched several times to test the new AI-assisted flight system codenamed "Dekker's Brain" and check its airworthiness after repairs. Kills so far include a Small Scout, a Supply Ship, and this Medium Scout. The Avenger's ability to catch alien craft even in their five thousand knot atmospheric entry and exit phases is a welcome change after the way they used to outrun the Interceptors.

Cyborg17 disembarks and fires at this Muton. For some reason, the Muton proceeds to return fire not at him, but at the tank (which hasn't fired or even moved very much), which absorbs three Heavy Plasma rounds without being damaged.

Mongoose Jr. deals with the Muton.

Then Cyborg17 gets shot in the side armor. Setting a new standard for durablity, he shrugs it off. This is actually a first for the HLPX-COM Flying Suit, as a Heavy Plasma usually penetrates the side of the suit. Unfortunately, Cyborg immediately spazzes out on the concept of "returning fire accurately" and instead shoots the Skyranger's landing gear three times. The tank moves up to take over, but spots a second Muton. Ravenholme Dos takes this one under fire but misses six shots. Before we can stage a repeat of the first mission's madness, FireSpawn's Cousin moves up and kills the hostile with the first round (and fires the other two into the UFO).

Son of Headdie then reminds the Mutons why nobody ****s with an HLPX-COM tank

StarSlayer Clone #57 gets his first kill in action. I should note that A: he missed his first two rounds by instead using them to kill that chair real good, and B: this particular Muton absorbed the last four before it died, which is a record. I've never seen one take that many direct hits to kill before.

Squad 3 completes its second mission in a somewhat more professional fashion than its last one.

"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
An alien battleship just landed at Dekker's Pad, despite our best efforts to keep the Scouts away one of them must have gotten close enough. (Normally there's more of a direct relationship, at least a day has passed.)

11 squad members and two tanks active, base layout optimized for defense, Heavy Plasmas for all. Floaters expected.

EDIT: Or DosBox could stop allowing screenshots today so I have to postpone running it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 12:02:32 am by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Keep those buggers out of the base fellas. Good hunting!
Habeeb it...

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
A Very Special Screw You From Squad Two
Base layout. The hangers are on the far side of the lift from the rest of the base, with a storage room in place between them and the lift to ensure some spacing between lift aliens and hanger aliens.

Also, as you can see, everyone is deployed between them and the rest of the base. A number of people are actually on the second level, including esarai, who has the misfortune to be in the storage room second level between the hangers and the left. Hang on man, we're coming to get you.

Ready for the happy fun bit?

The game ****ed up. Several sections do not have connecting tunnels. This is a known bug. A large portion of the base is cut off from the alien spawn areas. Alex Heartnet, Watsisname, Mjn.Mixael, esarai, Hades (who is for some reason armed with a laser rifle), Droid803, and the Hovertank/Plasma are the only members of the squad who can reach the alien deployment areas.

Everyone else is stuck where they are and cannot affect the outcome of the battle in any way.

So far they've given a good account of themselves  (one for the tank, two for Mjn.Mixael, one for Hades which is lying on top of another), though the fact some of the enemy have Blaster Launchers is not encouraging.

Esarai, not content to wait for rescue, kills a couple more aliens.

The tank takes the lead and everyone moves up. The first hanger is clear. Hopefully, with six kills, we've broken the back of the invading force. Esarai apparently cleared the first hanger. Watsisname kills a Demented Fuzzy Shivan in the second, and Hades gets a Floater. Alex Heartnet adds a second Demented Fuzzy Shivan to the tally.

Hades finishes clearing the second hanger by adding another Floater to the list of the dead. We've killed ten aliens; hopefully there aren't many more left. The tank spots another in Hanger Three, and puts one plasma round into it which doesn't kill the alien. Droid803 raises his Heavy Plasma to his shoulder, aims carefully, and drops the alien from a range of about fifty squares while still in the back end of Hanger One.

Despite game ****ups, Blaster Launchers, Demented Fuzzy Shivans, and nonsensical deployments, Squad Two has won through. Dekker's Pad is safe. Mission Complete.

We are less than two weeks from the Cydonia mission.

A Feddie Story

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
No deaths? Squad two is learning
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
It was somewhat of a near thing, the last guy actually tried to blaster bomb the tank, but there was some drift between waypoints and he hit a wall turning to push the shot into Hanger One. There were also some moments where I ended up going "oh **** we're bunched, **** the reserve TUs" and trying desperately to spread people out so they wouldn't present the sort of target that begs for a blaster bomb.

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
HLPX-COM was activated on January 1st, 1999. It is now December 1st. In the last eleven months, we have detected 120 UFOs, engaged over three quarters of them with intercepting aircraft, shot down all but one of those engaged by our interceptors, and recovered successfully after they were either shot down or landed somewhere around seventy, fought ten terror missions while successfully completing all but two of them, defended our bases from direct alien assault twice, and destroyed two alien bases on Earth. The active members of Squad One alone are responsible for the deaths of over a hundred and fifty aliens, and over the course of its existence HLPX-COM has probably killed more than twice that number.

Twenty-five HLPX-COM personnel have been killed in action, twenty-four of them on the ground. Two of our tanks have been destroyed, and one Interceptor lost. We have expended a little over three hundred and fifty million dollars, and employed science staff of one hundred and fifty people and a technical staff of two hundred seventy-eight.

All of which is for this moment.

The Cydonia mission is a go. Squad 2's psi-resistant soldiers are transferring to Area 51 and the Avenger is being prepped for the trip. We go to Mars to end this war once and for all.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 01:37:44 pm by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Woohoo!
Urutorahappī!!

Alright, time for the cliche music score: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_sBOsh-vyI&ob=av3e
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Awwright. Let's do this.

Squad 3 probably won't have anybody there with you, but I offer this music score in counter to Sparda: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsD2FjmLsw
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The Second Battle of Area 51
The aliens have launched a single last-ditch attempt to prevent us from going to Mars. We're not sure they're aware of the impending launch of the mission, probably not, or they would have attempted something significantly more frightening.

Instead we have another Snakeman base raid inbound. (Since you all insist on musical accompaniment.)

These three kills all belong to the pair of Spoonzer Threes, though one of them was actually the far Snakeman shooting the middle one in the back while firing at the tanks.

Trashman kills a Snakeman and a Chryssalid.

Axem gets another one, followed by the Spoonzer 3s taking down one more. That's seven down in the North Hanger (one on top of another) and one by the lift; hopefully we've dealt with most of the attack already.

KyadCK, advancing towards the Southwest Hanger, kills a couple more, one of whom mysteriously disappears. (Also a known bug due to item table overflow.)

The E, kills one and also experiences the magic total disappearing of the corpse.

Kyad locates another one, which has flipped out, dropped its Blaster Launcher, and tried to run.

The Chryssalid is not dead, and in fact just woke up. Putting it down again is the Spoonzer 2 laser tank.

Final honors go to SpardaSon.

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Ten of our best soldiers and four tanks (two Hover/Plasma and two Tracked/Laser) are now embarked aboard Avenger-1 for Cydonia.

-Joshua-, Colonel, 26 missions, 20 kills, 78 TUs, Psi Strength 93
SpardaSon21, Captain, 30 missions, 24 kills, 76 TUs, Psi Strength 97
TrashMan, Sergeant, 30 missions, 18 kills, 77 TUs, Psi Strength 79
KyadCK, Sergeant, 26 missions, 37 kills, 78 TUs, Psi Strength 56
esarai, Squaddie, 18 missions, 12 kills, 75 TUs, Psi Strength 67
The E, Commander, 35 missions, 26 kills, 80 TUs, Psi Strength 90
Axem, Sergeant, 34 missions, 25 kills,  74 TUs, Psi Strength 84
Droid803, Squaddie, 21 missions, 13 kills, 73 TUs, Psi Strength 56
swashmebuckle, Squaddie, 20 missions, 13 kills, 66 TUs, Psi Strength 59
Scourge of Ages, Squaddie, 19 missions, 16 Kills, Psi Strength 66

(If you didn't get sent to Cydonia, you had a Psi Strength of 50 or less.)

The Avenger will be piloted by Darius. Scotty will handle the weapons, backed up by the AI Dekker. Tanks will be operated from the Avenger by both Spoon and Flipside.

Rather than its usual Plasma Beams, the Avenger will instead be armed with four Elerium-boosted nuclear warheads, with a yield of approximately one gigaton each. We traded our remaining stocks of plasma weaponry to the Russians for design assistance in building them. One of them will be launched ahead of the Avenger before it enters Martian orbit, and airburst at high altitude above the Cydonia base. This should knock down any active UFOs and the EMP should be sufficient to blind ground-based sensors and defenses, opening a window for the Avenger to land.

The other three are to be employed if the ground assault fails. We may not be able to give humanity the stars, but we sure as hell can keep the aliens from ever using Cydonia again.

A Feddie Story

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The E, Commander, 35 missions, 26 kills, 80 TUs, Psi Strength 90

Wow.  Badass all around.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
-Joshua-, Psi strength 93

**** son, I could have stayed in the infantry. :D

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Hell yeah, an other 5 kills for the Spoonzer Elite  :pimp:
Get outta mah base, ya alien scumbags.

Ya'll ignoring the unsung hero SpardaSon21, Captain, 30 missions, 24 kills, 76 TUs, Psi Strength 97
Urutorahappī!!

I shall flay them alive... with my mind. :D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 04:02:28 pm by SpardaSon21 »
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Surface you say? Hmm...

Nah, let's go with something more...epic.

WELCOME TO MARS.

Some of you won't be leaving.

Scourge! Blaster Bomb all the things!

Well, it's a good start.

First honors with a direct fire kill go to a Laser Tank, which took a Heavy Plasma round to the front, pressed on, and blasted a Cyberdisk.

We've located the entrance to the base. **** this noise, people, we're going straight for the brain.

Another blaster bomb, this one from swashmebuckle, eliminates a Sectoid who was sniping at our tanks. The blaster bomb, it must be said, is basically a guided missile; you set waypoints, it follows them. There is some drift between waypoints so you can hit things that were not intended, but it's not bad. It makes a surprisingly effective and hilarious sniper weapon since you don't even need to leave the transport.

The second direct kill goes to a Spoonzer 3, while more blaster bombs are launched into areas of suspected alien activity.

Have I mentioned how goddamn fun it is to just Blaster Bomb anything that moves and a lot of things that don't?

One of the Laser Tanks, standing guard, is destroyed by incoming plasma fire. Scourge of Ages launches a Blaster Bomb back out into the dark and kills the Sectoid.

Enemy resistance is too little and too late. By the end of the fourth turn, more than half the attack force has reached the base entrance. As the fifth turn opens, everyone has arrived.

Cydonia Surface complete. Losses: 1 Tank/Laser. Munitions expenditure: 7 Blaster Bombs, 5 Tank/Laser shots, 10 Tank/Plasma shots.

A Feddie Story

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
* Droid803 salutes the fallen tank.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! THIS IS IT MOTHER****ERS! DO OR DIE!

"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."