Author Topic: Screencap Contest - March 2019  (Read 4325 times)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Screencap Contest - March 2019
March's theme is your favorite vessel. There have been some truly epic HTL rehashes of retail models over the years, just perfect for adding that "wow shiny" factor into a game that's about two decades old now. That's just retail - the community is chock-full of talent when it comes to ship design!

Pick a ship that's an old or new favorite of yours - retail, custom, even one you made yourself. Hey, give us an epic shot of some cargo canisters if you like! Make it the star of a screenshot! Other ships in the screen are OK, but bear in mind that the focus of the shot should clearly be a single ship or multiple of that same ship. Remember that this is a great place to show off the modern FSO engine to newcomers!

The rules are:

1: No HUD! (Jump nodes are ok though!)
2: Images must be presented as they would be as seen with only the FSO engine rendering the image. Remember that these entries help to show off what the engine can do for new players! So that means no after the fact photoshopping (except for cropping), and no external shader programs (reshade and the like). No lens flares, contrast shifts, colorizers, etc.
3: Max 3 entries per person!
4: Again, these screenshots are a way to promote Freespace and the FSO Engine - let's keep it in good taste.

Use the screencap script to help you take that perfect shot!

Scoreboard for this year:

Nightmare: 1
Colt: 1

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Re: Screencap Contest - March 2019
Sirius III, 2367
NTCv Corinth undergoing repairs while construction of another Deimos-class corvette is nearing completion in a nearby Ganymede ring.

I've always liked the Deimos. It's a great vessel with good anti-warship and anti-fighter firepower. Strong hulls make for an all-round a nice warship with a cool design. (just don't put one in front of a Ravana though)
Mods used:
-Black Wolf's Modular Construction Kit v1.2
-Gas Refineries also by Black Wolf and Vasudan Admiral
-Skybox is FireandIce from ShadowWolf_IH's Skybox Pack
-Let me know if I forgot any...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Cool though that shot may be, it seems to me that the theme is supposed to be showcasing one ship, and there appears to be too much going on in this image to showcase one ship.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Cool though that shot may be, it seems to me that the theme is supposed to be showcasing one ship, and there appears to be too much going on in this image to showcase one ship.

Well it's in the foreground, and I'd say it's just too much work put into it to exclude it (though it certainly goes to the rim of this month's theme).

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
it seems to me that the theme is supposed to be showcasing one ship, and there appears to be too much going on in this image to showcase one ship.

In hindsight I agree. I've a habit of being a bit eccentric and losing focus of the original purpose sometimes. Will keep it in mind going forward  :yes:

GTF Gaia <3

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Oooh flashy!  :nod:

I like the red/blue contrast quite a bit, it really makes the scene "pop". I'd like to see more clearly what the fighter looks like, though, have you considered showing us a view of the shot from the other side - lit by the sun?  :)

I think it's rather the very low ambient light setting (they should be turned off, actually). I'll see what I can do. :)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

I think it's rather the very low ambient light setting (they should be turned off, actually). I'll see what I can do. :)

No pressure, it's more of a general tip/idea for showing off a ship than anything, plus I legit can't find that ship on the wiki list and I wanna see it.   :lol:  Most likely not going to make or break a contest either way.  :nod:

It's this one: https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Bek%27Tah_Interceptor
X axis*2, recolored and the guns removed.

Love the Kaze!

There's something in the lower right corner that shouldn't be there.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Nice Techno! That's one sweet ride.  :D Interesting how most of the shot is blank, that calls the viewer's attention right to the subject in the corner and generates more "cool factor" than it would if the Kaze had just been in the center of the screen.  :nod:

There's something in the lower right corner that shouldn't be there.
Made a paint edit:

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Here, have some simple shots from a simple new campaign.

How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Techno's just screams desktop background. Very nice  :)

Here, have some simple shots from a simple new campaign.
<pretty pics here>

Those are nice! Those skyboxes really make the scenes too.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Ditto to all of the above well-deserved praise! Awesome submissions everyone!  :D

Not 100% my favourit ship, but it looked quite good.