Author Topic: Let's Play some more Dwarf Fortress, HLP! (Check the first post for a roster)  (Read 23080 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: Let's Play some more Dwarf Fortress, HLP!
Thank you for that link.

Another classic.

God, what I would give for a new, improved Dwarf Fortress (graphics, GUI, streamlining a bit)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Lorric

Re: Let's Play some more Dwarf Fortress, HLP!
Another absolutely hilarious DF LP while we wait for more Peakwind, for those of you interested:

http://brokenforum.com/index.php?threads/dwarf-fortress-vd-staying-dry.1003/

Almost the entire thing had me in tears of laughter.
Thank you for that link.

Another classic.

God, what I would give for a new, improved Dwarf Fortress (graphics, GUI, streamlining a bit)
Bookmarked for later. :)

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Re: Let's Play some more Dwarf Fortress, HLP! (Check the first post for a roster)
Update pending. See the first post for interim updates.

I am terrible. Late-night wrong-button fu activate. Gomen nasai.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:19:43 pm by IronBeer »
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Re: Let's Play some more Dwarf Fortress, HLP! (Check the first post for a roster)
Ok, this might be kind of a mess. I played this session over both days of the weekend, and due to a new job, I just now got around to writing up. Oh well, hopefully I can get more coherent as I get into a more proper swing of things.

Start off by picking up on the gravity blender work. It's boring as all hell, and not at all worth documenting.

One of the soldiers crafts an artifact stone figurine of some dwarf. I'm seriously busy managing the blender project and doing so safely, so I don't pay attention to any of the details.

Hilarity with caravans. About every other caravan gets jumped by sizeable goblin killsquads. Risking the lives of our citizen-tropps for the sake of shiny trade goods is for chumps. Our airlock security system keeps Peakwind safe, at least.

At some point, CommanderDJ crafts an artifact Pig Iron battleax. Pig Iron is a merely passable weapon material, so a soldier wielding it will be banking on the weapon's quality. Also the Rule of Cool!

At another point, a dwarven diplomat drops by and makes a very interesting offer: shall Peakwind become an official Barony of its parent civilization? I say "not right now". Though of course the fact that I'm BUSY WITH DIGGING STUFF didn't influence my decision at all. No sir.

Later on, a Cyclops shows up with remarkably good timing. I have to condemn a few nameless to death to save the fort, though one armed citizen did manage to hurt the invader a bit. In a spot of good news, I finally finish off the enhancements to the gravity blender, and direct the monster to the upgraded trap.
....It didn't work as well as I had hoped. Though the trap -> fall system works just fine, the enhanced fall didn't seem to add any more damage. Frustration. I think about the matter while I manage clothing, food, and drink supplies.

Another child decides to stick it to the elves with a wooden pimpcup.

During the course of some various maintenance and cleanup, some citizens "leak" outside to track down socks or whatever. Three goblin killsquads show up sequentially to ruin their ****. Nothing I can do for them, though I do direct the goblins to the gravity blender for additional testing. As I feared, the fall STILL hadn't gained any damage. Clearly something needs to be added on.

Classical answer to everything- pour magma on it. This'll require some additional work, though. I put in orders for iron (magma-proof) screw pump components. What the components are for, you will see soon enough.

A dwarven diplomat comes again next year offering a Barony position once more. This time, I decide to say "yes". As a followup to Peakwind's new status, we need a Baron. Esarai! I choose you! This results in an acceptable division of powers: esarai had been the ruling Mayor for quite some time, but PhantomHoover just recently succeeded her (dorf-esarai's a girl, remember). Of course, esarai does fuss a bit until I carve out some "noble"-level quarters and a tomb for her and hubby, but it frankly isn't much hassle.

Right around the same time as our new Barony goes through,  I decide to unveil my latest project: a magma-fuelled enhancement to the gravity blender's floor that's driven by an affront to physics. Ref the Dwarven Water Reactor. This writeup is getting too long already, so I won't explain the DWR.

As I finish off the excavation for the magma spray, another dwarf gives in to old age. Scotty proves himself one of the baddest-assed, gravel-****ting survivors I've ever seen. I suppose dying of old age counts as "winning" for a dwarf. Since Scotty didn't make any funerary requests, he goes into the common burial chambers in the Hall of History. Hats off to you, Scotty.

And as my patience for this long yet uneventful session draws to a close, another child cranks out an artifact-level weapon: a warhammer made of dog bones. Well whatchu gonna do?

Actually I'm going to cut this mess short here. I'll try to put some more effort and focus into the next session. Until then, try to stay alive, yo.

Litany of the Fallen:
Scourgeson, slain by a goblin ambush
Polpolionson, drowned after falling through melting ice (body unrecoverable)
redsniperson, slain by a crazed fellow dwarf
Borin "Balrogbait", died of old age
Hobbie, slain by a goblin swordsman
Kobrarson, slain by a fellow dwarf with anger management problems
Scotty, succumbed to old age
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 12:59:58 pm by IronBeer »
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Scotty, succumbed to old age

Suck on that, Dwarf Fortress.  I beat the system!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
And I would like to claim his stuff :nervous:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
A natural death?
In Dwarf Fortress?

UNHEARD OF!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Seriously. I've been playing the **** out of Masterwork DF and I've never seen a dwarf die of old age. DF is like that stupid TV show 1000 Ways To Die, except with goblins and magma.

Glad to see you are not dead, IronBeer! Congrats on the new job.

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
A.. natural death in dwarf fortress?
That must be a bug, or if anything he was not a dorf! :p
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Welcome to the "Winners" club, Scotty! Here, have some Beer.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.