Author Topic: Movie file playing code in FS2!  (Read 6750 times)

Offline Fozzy

• Wokka wokka wokka!
  • Wanabe A Mighty Modder
    • Fozzy's Myspace
Movie file playing code in FS2!
RT could you make it so ANI's can be made mappable to FS2 Ships this might be usefull for the Shaddow ships in TBP and open up a whole new way to make cool textures
The Terran VolksWagen Project - Lol
"that was a little too close, we gota wait fifteen mins to change our shorts" = (snipes, FS2)
I can whoop your ass with my LOGITECH

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
sorry to bump that, but I wanted to know if the ... her... your code could read an avi from a vp file?
SCREW CANON!

Offline RandomTiger

Fozzy. All high level graphical stuff like that is best done after the DX8 upgrade. I havent looked at the put it should be possible. And if its for making shadow ships then I will definately have a look, but after the DX8 upgrade.

Venom2506. I dont think it will work like that at the moment (not sure). But it could I imagine. Why would you need it to? To keep everything in the same vp file? Might be a bit of a pause to unload a big AVI from a file though.

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by RandomTiger
Fozzy. All high level graphical stuff like that is best done after the DX8 upgrade. I havent looked at the put it should be possible. And if its for making shadow ships then I will definately have a look, but after the DX8 upgrade.

Venom2506. I dont think it will work like that at the moment (not sure). But it could I imagine. Why would you need it to? To keep everything in the same vp file? Might be a bit of a pause to unload a big AVI from a file though.

also, people would tend less to look at the cutscenes before having actually played the campaign :p. o=f course, there's people that will open the vp etc, but when you see the divx there, in the explorer, well... you just double-click :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline RandomTiger

One solution would be to give the movie a different file type.
I imagine (90% sure) my video code will pickup the movie type from data inside and not the external extension.

So obviously people would be able to rename it back but it might stop some people.

Although you of course have a strong point Im not willing at this time to spend time on a job like this. Its a waste of coding time on a problem thats really about people being weak willed. If they to spoil it for themselves fine.

I think with a bit of creative thought a non coding solution will present itself.

Im sorry I cant do everything everbody wants. Im trying to get through the big stuff at the moment.

Offline Nico

• Venom
np, I was just wondering if it was possible.
SCREW CANON!

I thought the main purpose was to get the system to work reliably first? Most of us are waiting with baited breath for the op to make our interpretations.
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Nico

• Venom
as I posted above, it was just a question. I  guess I'm allowed to ask questions right? :rolleyes:
plus I've said why already.
SCREW CANON!

Offline RandomTiger

Heres the current state of things. Movie code works on most machines. Movies can be setup to play using Fred (between missions). The only problem we have is the end movie (if you want one, I imagine you will).

karajorma:
Okay I`ve playtested the last mission as much as I could and I think I`ve found the conditions that need to be present to trigger the final two movies.
1) The end-campaign SEXP must be present in the mission. This SEXP takes no arguements. In FRED 2's help window the SEXP is listed as follows
end-campaign
ends the buildin campaign. Should only be used by the main FreeSpace campaign
2) The filename of the campaign MUST be FreeSpace2.fc2 Even FreeSpace2a.fc2 didn`t work.
3) The filename of the mission is irrelavent.
That's as much as I`ve got so far. Obviously the campaign needing to be the main Freespace 2 campaign is the first thing that has to go. The fact that the end movie takes precidence over the debriefing probably should go too. At the moment there is no way to have a briefing and an end movie. Having both would be nice (but perhaps too hard to do).