Author Topic: GTS Hygeia  (Read 15566 times)

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
I commend you for showing your progress, even if it's in the early stages of development.  This proves to us that you're not just all words but can put your abilities into action, which is the first step to becoming a contributing member of this community.  Once again this is a fantastic start, and keep it up!

R

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I've been enjoying my busy days, but here's an update on my HTL take on the GTS Hygeia. The fuselage shown here is taking shape. However, the cockpit and the sides needs to be modelled. It's going to be more like the retail Hygeia, but I think it's going to be highly detailed and hi-poly than its counterpart.

EDIT: BTW, I've restarted modelling it from scratch because it's the only way to create a nice-looking, highly detailed model.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
That Ragingloli Hygeia seems sufficiently low poly to me.
That's great and all, but we don't have his model and he's gone completely AWOL.

I'll reserve my comment on this mesh until later. It's obviously really, really early in the making.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Luis Dias

Of course and all the luck and good fortune to Bryan in his endeavour!

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
As you can see, my HTL Hygeia is starting to take shape to resemble the original counterpart. The two engines beside the central engine needs to be modelled.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Kolgena

Not bad.

Something you should watch for is how to add details. Your model is still extremely early, but it sort of looks like there are "details for the sake of details". Randomly recessing panels can be a nice way to increase polycount, but there should be more focus on figuring out the function each piece of the ship serves and model details accordingly. For example, the docking port (by volition) clearly shows visible missiles stacked and ready for transfer. While this doesn't actually make any sense beyond rule of cool, it does mean that the port could at least have exposed machinery bits that could be interpreted as missile-containing machinery rather than generic vents/beams. Or, you could go all out and show stacks of missiles if that feels right to you. A lot of the more impressive models tend to do exactly this: add lots of brand new details that fit the general scheme/layout/shape of what the original artist intended (only smoothing/cleaning and accenting the hull portions, while modeling the crap out of any exposed machinery/greeble parts), thereby keeping the "feel" of the old model, but with quite a few visually interesting and meaningful additions (plus/minus a variable amount of personal artistic taste).

My guess is that you've already thought of all that, but the model is still way too early to show where you're going, in which case, keep up the good work!

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I came across the FreeSpaceFreak's shipbuilding tutorial where I got the pilot's cockpit, which is mostly used in many models used by FSO, so I started all over. This time, the fuselage resembling those of the retail Hygeia is shaping nicely. Next up is the Hygeia's sides, and finally the bottom where fighters and bombers get rearmed or repaired. Once the modelling is done, I plan to do some UV-wrapping, and finally converting for in-game usage.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
After more than three years of inactivity, I've decided to release the first pic of the newly-remade version of the hi-poly GTS Hygeia. Showing a two-seater cockpit. A true step towards hi-poly.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template