Author Topic: The Other Side (TIA Document Release Candidate, Wave Two, Unclassified)  (Read 9643 times)

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.
Re: The Other Side (TIA Document Release Candidate, Wave Two, Unclassified)
I like the inference that the stock market is being controlled by an AI, suggesting that something similar to Cassandra is running the whole of Earth's economy.

No wonder the GTVA is wanting to take the whole thing apart.  The idea of the Sol System's economy being hinged on dimensional futur-tech is terrifying.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
It's efficient. Which is more than you can say for free market bull****.

I wonder if there will be a continuation of these?

Offline Luis Dias

It's efficient at doing exactly what? Ahhh, that's the multimillion dollar question here, isn't it?

Without teleologic concerns, without purpose, words like "efficiency" turn meaningless. And purpose is something that has been (so far) established by humans themselves, or at least the "zeitgeists" of each era and societies.

You could create with the most efficient process ever a giant massive Rude Goldberg machine. Astonishing efficiency. But for what?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It's efficient at doing exactly what?
Handling a system-wide economy and society pretty close to flawlessly. Especially when you compare it to what's going on on the other side of the DS node.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Luis Dias

Yes that's like saying a hammer is good at hammering. Well doh. Handling a "system wide economy" isn't just about managing a built machine, it's about managing what resources should be devoted to what activity and actors, and what that means is that this AI has the best predicting capabilities about what people (in their fragmented individualistic liberties) might want to devote their time and resources on (which would mean the AI is able to predict future discoveries, for instance), or / and that this AI has manipulated the entire culture and market to more or less focus on the things it already has by itself established as important.

The first hypothesis is what is taken for granted, the second is what the three stooges are hinting at, how "sleazy" the whole market process might be and what focused trends it might be manipulating an entire economy into. Thus my question. Efficient at doing exactly what. And who measures this efficiency? By what criteria? What works in one scale is an absolute disaster in another (the Turkey example comes to mind*). What makes for efficient in Sol might be regarded as suicidal by the GTVA.

* The turkey example is the following. Consider a turkey modelling the world. Ever since it is born, it is fed and its weight rises linearly and predictably. It's an amazing life and if the turkey wants to model its future, it knows where it's going to: up! The future is bright. Until thanksgiving day, that is, a day that will come completely by surprise and negate all previous models the turkey had to begin with.

Wait, placebo recorder?
What is an "old nazi plate"?

One puts food on it then goebbels it up.

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
If this is true, this dependency constitutes a horrendous single point of failure for the Federation. Lose their economy AI, and their entire market collapses. Worse, every casual conversation about trade could tip off the GTVA.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I think the assumption that this is run by a single supercomputer entity similar to CASSANDRA is wrong. They're probably more like simulations run by thousands of "classic" servers. Loosing the hardware wouldn't loose the software, if anything they'd just loose some data and start again from backups on different servers.

Backing that up with some quotes:

Quote from: Analyst Thorn
We have a tap into the Elders' main simulation farm. They don't command us, but we...cooperate.

Quote from: Dreamscape
Laporte: So what's the trick? How do you pull this off when the Ubuntu mainframes struggle with five-year economic projections?

Analyst Thorn: The dreamscape is hosted on CASSANDRA, the Masyaf's special computational asset. The transmission methodology is called Nagari. [...]

The Elders don't have AI. They have carefully built and constantly refined mathematical models.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

It's not exactly just modelling, the feedback from the model to the main economy is far too strong. Luis makes an interesting point, that the UEF economy can be seen as being run by their models, to fit with the models.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Wait, placebo recorder?

It's a placebo tone - the recorder's on the whole time but GTI pretends to activate it there.

I see.   I thought placebo as in 'lol no recorder actually let's see you guys being honest'.

Well, that clears things up.
What is an "old nazi plate"?

One puts food on it then goebbels it up.