Author Topic: Finest Hour Strategy?(spoiler)  (Read 4411 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Finest Hour Strategy?(spoiler)
In Insane you definitely need one Grimmler, as long as you land it right.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
You can take out the AWACS domes with just one Grimmler apiece, which is handy if you want to save ammo.

Hmm, which difficulty are you playing at? Because Medium and above, you definitely need 2 grimmlers.

You can definitely do it on Hard, you just have to fire from slightly above the AWACS to make sure it gets a clean hit. Not directly above, just a slight 30 degree angle or so.

EDIT: Didn't see Matt's post there

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Hmm...I play Hard, I used 1 grimmler once, but that just got the radome to around 19%...I've used 2 ever since.... :P
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline Flak

I think Shrikes is better than Grimlers for this because it has longer range, though note you still need 2 shots to knock out the beam on a single mjolnir. Some of the miners escaped though, but this matters less.

What I did:
As soon as the mission start, order wingmen to protect the Serenity, slave the Narayanas and have them fire at the Radhanite.

Once the Serenity is in a save distance and there are no bombers nearby (don't have to wait for it to warp out), order your wingmen to hit an aurora each. At the same time, try knocking out one of the Mjolnirs with your Shrikes or Grimlers, use ammo pack and repeat with the other Mjolnir. Just when you fire your first salvo, order a resupply. If the frigates are done finishing off the Radhanite, have them fire on the miners.

Next, knock out the dishes on the AWACS. Be careful if you are using Grimlers instead of Shrikes since you will be in range of the point defenses. Again, order a resupply as soon as it is available. You want to resupply your missiles before you do the next thing. If your wingmen are done with the auroras, either have them hit the surviving miners, or either disarm the Carthage or just knock out the weapon subsystem to make the point defenses useless.  Have the frigates fire on the minelayers.

Now it is time to scan the station. Just scan the necessary subsystems. Do the same with the two corvettes if you can. Depends on how much time you have remaining, if the frigates are done with the minelayers, then have them attack the corvettes.

If you are done with the corvettes it is time to call in the reinforcements, or if you are short of time however, you can just try and knock out the weapon subsystem on the corvettes and call in reinforcements. I only called 5 wings (gunships, bombers, stealth fighters, and a few other things) and order all of them to disable the Carthage. Once the Carthage is dead in the water, order all fighters to protect one of the frigates before you lose too many of them. You may have an option to call the Toutatis, but it doesn't matter. Have the frigates pound away at the Carthage and you can just sit back and watch.

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
A good strat Flak; but why kill the Radhanite? That would be quite a waste of time imo...if you order the Artillery to fire at the Tankers at mission start, they are out of formation, and hence, cannot be protected adequately by the Radhanite... The Tankers go down real fast if you que them up for the Artillery
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline crizza

I allways kill the Deimos protecting the gas miners, 'cause right at mission start one of the collides with it and the Deimos blocks it.
But I take the time needed to disable the two Deimos next to the Carthage.

Offline Flak

Regardless of what I do, one miner always get away. On my first attempt I didn't touched the Radhanite, but I didn't succeed in destroying a single one of them. It just keep shooting down the torpedoes. I got 2 of the miners after I destroyed it though. Also, I think the other two corvettes won't jump out if you managed to destroy the Carthage's dishes, even if you don't disable them. They will jump our however, after the Carthage surrendered and you didn't disable them by then. If you want to destroy them, just have the fighters pull back after disabling the Carthage and tell the frigates to fire on them.

I kill the Radhanite because I can. Should I need a better reason?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline Kolgena

WHAT THAT FIGHTER CAN GLIDE?!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
(Yeah I know, I actually noticed that after release, despite months of beta)

EDIT: I have added notes to the playthrough video. Hopefully this should cover most important points about the mission.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 07:46:55 am by MatthTheGeek »

Offline Flak

Guess I didn't know that you can queue the manual targetting, I finally able to get all the miners. However, I didn't manage to stay for that long, the frigates already did significant damage to the Carthage that I didn't have time to hit the fighters.

This level is incredible, making a near on Battle of Endor type mission where you are still relevant has taken some doing. Anyways upon realising I could queue artillery I finally passed this mission. Another thing that helped is it seems when you call for reinforcements they warp in your vicinity. I had a bit of trouble that I had cleared the targets and uploaded the virus, called for reinforcements (the message told me it would be wise) and they didn't seem to do anything.

Thanks to the mod team, clearly a lot of hard work has gone into this

I had a bit of trouble that I had cleared the targets and uploaded the virus, called for reinforcements (the message told me it would be wise) and they didn't seem to do anything.

You have to give them orders. C-3-2 followed by either C-3-1 or C-3-0 usually does the trick (ordering everything to depart the moment the Carthage is disabled should in theory minimize losses, but there seems to be some error with how losses are tracked that nobody has been able to work out).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:04:49 am by LordPomposity »

I had a bit of trouble that I had cleared the targets and uploaded the virus, called for reinforcements (the message told me it would be wise) and they didn't seem to do anything.

You have to give them orders. C-3-2 followed by either C-3-1 or C-3-0 usually does the trick (ordering everything to depart the moment the Carthage is disabled should in theory minimize losses, but there seems to be some error with how losses are tracked that nobody has been able to work out).

Ah yep, figured that out once I realised they warped in near to my position. First few times I had just finished disabling the HQ, flying around the back of it whilst calling in reinforcements. So I can only assume they warped in behind the HQ and were torn to pieces before my orders were carried out.