Author Topic: Support Ships cannot fix destroyed subsystems  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Kolgena

Support Ships cannot fix destroyed subsystems
This is true with a least a couple of the latest nightlies (10004, 10060). Once subsystems are are completely destroyed, support ships do not repair them. This is at least true for GTVA fighters. Can't remember if it affects UEF ships.

Is this intentional behavior, or something else?

Offline crizza

Re: Support Ships cannot fix destroyed subsystems
I think I once had this issue in Aristea.
Flying a Tev fighter, the supportship wasn't able to repair it, but I thought this was intentional.

This is also the case in retail FS2, unless the issue was somehow specific to just that build (which was a main release, not a nightly).

I've had it happen to me in the retail mission where you discover the NTC Trinity in the nebula (boy, what a mission to lose the comms system--especially since I literally could not warp out as a result, probably because I hadn't actually received the RTB order...had to redo the whole mission...), as well as Aristeia once or twice.

I think the BP team just guardians all of the player's subsystems to prevent any related issues from happening, which is probably a good call. Not being able to call for a support ship to repair your communications subsystem because your communications subsystem is down is pretty facepalm-worthy.
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline Kolgena

There is no guardian. Also, it is retail behavior to let you call for support even when comms are dead.

I was flying a Draco and had my weapons taken out in Aristea. Using BP as the active mod while playing FS2 expectedly causes dead subsystems to stay dead. However, the same builds running mvps as active mod will fix broken subsystems no problem. (I had some fun trashing my NAV on a myrmidon in Surrender Belisarius by headbutting things)

There is no guardian. Also, it is retail behavior to let you call for support even when comms are dead.

I was flying a Draco and had my weapons taken out in Aristea. Using BP as the active mod while playing FS2 expectedly causes dead subsystems to stay dead. However, the same builds running mvps as active mod will fix broken subsystems no problem. (I had some fun trashing my NAV on a myrmidon in Surrender Belisarius by headbutting things)

I can't recall ever being able to call for support (or anything, for that matter) when my comms were dead, in any FS retail content or mod--FS1 included. Not to mention that it's all a moot point to begin with, because of the many missions in which support ships aren't available (or compatible, like when controlling capships or EVA suits). And I'm pretty sure that the example I mentioned was played in standard FS2 retail (or just with MVPS), too.
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I'm 99% sure that I've called in a support ship with dead comms before, probably when flying a Valkyrie in FSPort or ST:R.  I also normally use SHIFT-R (or it is ALT-R?) instead of using the comms menu.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Well, getting my coms smashed always prompts me to call a support ship, so I'm 100% sure you can call for repairs even it raises some questions from an in-universe perspective.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
emergency transmitter capable of sending a short coded signal such as S.O.S. or need support
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Bump.

Another in-universe explanation would be that your wing mates or the support ship sees that your comms is destroyed and provides assistance when needed.