Author Topic: My Goodness  (Read 2939 times)

Hello all,

I decided to register an account so I can give the mod developers and the community their props. I played FS1 & 2 back when they came out, and I've re-installed it and gone on a Shivan bashing rampage like clockwork every 2-3 years since. I played a few mods when modded campaigns were rather new and primitive affairs, and most of them incomplete besides. (Act 1 of inferno -- the first part of Derelict, etc), and this time around, I decided to give them another shot.

Wow.

I sat up for 20 hours or so and polished off derelict, and now I'm working my way into Blue Planet. I'm into my work week now, so I can't afford another Free Space binge.

The difference from Vanilla FS2 to BP is absolutely mind boggling. Words can't express how impressed I am so far with the polished textures, models, effects, star fields, and most especially the plot writing and voice acting. My experience with mods is rather limited, but the quality of BP easily matches the quality that the original showed when it was released for retail. You guys've done an absolutely amazing job!

PS:

Don't spoil it for me, I didn't read about the mod before hand, and I don't know anything at all, except what's been presented to me in game so far. I'm still tear-assing around in an alternate universe, and finding out that torpedo shock waves are an interesting way to die. I'm enjoying a story-line with plot twists I can't predict from a mile off (So far at least).

PPS:

Capitol ships that can actually defend themselves half-competently are pretty trippy; I'm diggin it! Although this makes me worry about the horrors in store for me later.

war in heaven adds competent enemy ais as standard

i cannot even begin to describe the horrors in store for you
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Really glad you're enjoying it. Keep posting as you move forward, I'd love to hear your impressions.

About to embark on the night's adventure.

So far I got to play flying benevolent rock thing and go on an orgy of one sided Shivan bashing; then I watched the Sathanas wipe out the Sacred Keeper. I admit, that wasn't much of a surprise. The Vishnan models and textures were absolutely astonishing, particularly seeing the sacred keeper up close while I was trying to find the damned docking point.

As an aside,

I'm enjoying the fact that BP, like Derelict is character as well as plot driven. I have smart ass wing-mates instead of disposable fill-ins.

I also like having to return to my destroyer to dock instead of warping into subspace sitting right next to it. Both of those add.... texture (for lack of a better word) that the original campaigns sometimes lacked.

Cheers, off to go kill things and chase megabombs.

So I just finished the first BP Campaign.

The Vishnans and Shivans are suitably creepy for god-like galatic powers deciding the fate of ant-like buggers like ourselves. I'm sure I'll be seeing my good friend the Dante sooner rather than later.

As to the end of the campaign, I kind of saw that coming. An "Expeditionary Group" of two superdestroyers, and scads of incredibly nasty support vessels seemed a little like overkill for a peaceful first contact. Good writing, bad politics. The GTVA is likely in for a sharp, rude shock if they try to starting a shooting war within 5 minutes of getting back to the home world. According to the intel entries, the Terran half of the GTVA turned the return to Earth into a messianic obsession, at the expense of their economy and the relationship with the Vasudans. I don't see that going well. In fact I'd be shocked if there isn't a particularly nasty civil war brewing within the colonies themselves.

I also don't see the Vasudans being all that interested in restarting the Terran/Vasudan wars. I doubt the Vishnans will be all that impressed either.

Looking forward to what comes next! Time to get back to basics and do what humans do best! Kill other humans!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I suggest you read the contents of this portal before heading into WiH if you're interested in the backstory. It contains non-spoilery data (aside from one chapter in Intelligence Data that is clearly labeled as a spoiler) that explains a lot of backstory and what happens between the end of AoA and the beginning of WiH.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

also don't read conversations from tenebra until you've finished acts 1 and 2 of war in heaven! (you'll know when you've finished them, trust me)
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Churning my way sloooowly through war in heaven. Suddenly the GTVA's balls have dropped and they dusted off a few history books and tomes on tactical doctrine...

Remember that trippily awsome point defense I mentioned? It's a stone cold ***** trying to attack through it.... Whatever demented bastard coded the AI and the scenarios needs a cold beer and a hot poker to the eye. I particularly liked the pop-up trebuchet volleys, and capitol ships that actually cede the field instead of finding irritating ways to die. I'm guessing all of the moronic ship commanders I was protecting in the last two great wars got killed off early on.

PS: I totally lost my **** at the kitten. That was pure gold; I couldn't stop laughing for at least a solid minute.

PPS: What's the background of the design team? This feels like it was written by a cabal of DoD/SM Physicist Powernerds; as opposed to regular civilian powernerds.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm really enjoying the posts, keep 'em coming. And the devs came from a whole range of backgrounds and specialties, though a lot of love did go into the military flavor and psychology.

wih was written by a cabal of psychologists and also a programmer, other people were likely involved

Just finished P1 of War in Heaven.

That was quite an experience. Without realizing it, I became very emotionally invested in the success of the War Dogs (WarGods? Was too busy killing things to tell for sure.) And I was commensurately crestfallen and utterly pissed off when Steele stole the Carthage from me just as I was really getting ready to stick it to the Tev bastards.

I love the Uriel, and the improved fighter suppression weapons. The Slammer is worth its weight in gold, as opposed to the infyrno's corresponding worth in manure. Despite the crushing political and psychological defeat, I traded about 6 Tev Corvettes and a couple of cruisers for my bedraggled frigate taskforce. Still, the little bastards are slippery, and if you don't nail the engines early, you don't get too far.

I've half expected the Shivans to waltz back into the picture, and am wondering what will happen when they do. All of the new toys the GTA and UEF are using would do just the trick for Shivan bashing, assuming there's anyone left to club the little red bastards when they show up again. I'm also interested in seeing what new goodies the Vasudans have come up with. Vasudan fighters are usually a real pleasure to fly, and their Cap Ships outperform their Terran counterparts about 90% of the time. They also seem to avoid the Terran habit of promoting mental defectives to positions of high authority.

Only thought I had for the UEF -- They're using regular DU Sabots for their ship mounted railguns. Those seem to do well, but I'd like to see some ingenious bastard pack an anti-matter warhead on the railgun rounds. That would make for some good times.

And after all of that, there's the broader story arc. When you fight someone or something long enough, you start to become that thing in order to survive. The Tevs with their relentless and ruthless prosecution of their war are just as implacable and capable a threat as the Shivans ever were. While the Lotus eaters are having their baptism in blood and fire, and starting to act like a professional military force. Noemi giving into her shivan/nagari inspired blood lust makes for another interesting mover of the plot. I'm looking forward to playing through parts II and III!

Again, thanks guys, I'm having a blast with this.

Hope you'll enjoy act III (AKA part 2) as much as the others, that one has a lot in store gameplay wise and story wise.

Also obligatory plug for the #bp channel on irc.esper.net if you want to chat about it on IRC.

Offline FIZ

About the Shivans showing up on that last mission...
Spoiler:
if you manage to kill the Carthage (generally through cheats but I believe it has been done other ways) they come give you a hug
  :lol:

EAgh! NO! No spoilers. I'm enjoying blundering through my journey of wonder, discovery, and mindless bloodshed like a concussed, dyslexic 5 year old. Once I'm done with P 1-3, spoil me to your hearts content, please :p

Working my way through part 2 now. The Fedayeen portion of the campaign has been interesting to say the least. And not dealing with functionally retarded lotus eating peaceniks as my bosses has been refreshing to say the least.

PS: The stealth missions with the Fedayeen stealth fighters were/are magnificently designed. I'm enjoying having to try, try, and try again to fully exploit the capabilities of my equipment instead of going "Ho hum, that's nice" and going back to what I do 95% of the time.

Again design team, you guys have my props! Off to the races!

Offline FIZ

Your past what it would spoil, it's more of an easter-egg

Ahh gotcha, finished part 2. I didn't figure the Vishans for be all warm and fuzzy, but that was quite a twist. And explains the fate of Admiral Bosch nicely.

Now to install part 3!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Bad news, friend, that's all we've released so far.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Now you most wait for the next release. Foreveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrr.

Or at least a year or two, I'm fairly certain it was about that long between P1 and P2