Author Topic: There is hope after all...what fantastic news for BSG fans!  (Read 18472 times)

Offline Adalla

• So Say We All!
    • Adalla Productions
There is hope after all...what fantastic news for BSG fans!
The unveiling of Diaspora is the best news the 9th Battlestar Group (which was JUST recently put on pause until further notice) and BSG Pilots have heard in oh well...forever!

The Lords of Kobol bless all yall!

So Say We All!

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Re: There is hope after all...what fantastic news for BSG fans!
Damn nice to hear such a positive response. Thanks Adalla.

Offline Adalla

• So Say We All!
    • Adalla Productions
No no...thank YOU.

You might want to read about why the biggest and most active Beyond the Red Line gaming club started dying ever so slowly for the past year and a half until this very day which forced us to put our club on "pause until further notice".

Let me put it bluntly. Number 1 factor for the demise of BSG9 was the fact that BtRL demo (on which our club's health depended) ended up being boring. One of the biggest factors for this was the lag and unfair advantage a host had, which made the game incredibly annoying. This is arguable of course, but I believe the fact that nobody today plays BtRL is a testament to the truth of what I am saying.

The fans have tried to do what they could. FREDders tried to build campaigns and missions, clan and community leaders tried to keep their members going. But only so far. There is only so many things you can do with only a Viper and Raider...the Galactica or at least some other cap ships SHOULD have been released. Instead, the 2 patches released in the year and a half since the release of the demo did absolutely nothing except one thing...infuriate fans.

I'm posting all this because I'm the type of person to voice my opinions, as well as listen to that of others. I'm also the type to not give a darn when appropriate. For example, when fans that tried to voice their opinions, regardless of what they might be, stopped being welcome on the BtRL forum...well, most of us just left and never came back.

I have faith that under Karajorma's leadership things will be different this time around. Kara was the only visible Dev (that I noticed at least) that seemed to actually care about the fans.

Anyways, I wish you all the best, and if you wish to read my rant and reason for the "pause" of the biggest BtRL ...I should say former BtRL gaming clan, well you should check out the latest article I wrote on the BSG9 front page

As I stated on the BSG Pilots forums, BSG Pilots and the 9th Battlestar Group now officially support Diaspora and we will be breaking all ties and relationships with Beyond the Red Line. We will stop all news updates, remove all videos, and stop officially supporting BtRL. Unofficially our members may do as they please of course.

Best wishes,

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well as far as I'm concerned you can support both. Just sticky our links and news higher. :D

Remember that the demo was made by a team that largely consists of those now on Diaspora. We're still very proud of it but we've taken on board the criticisms and we're planning on giving you something much better for multiplayer fans like yourselves in R1.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
To be honest I think you should give a lot of importance to the single player mode as well. Not everyone has the opportunity of playing in multi... :(
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
We will. Singleplayer will and always will be the main thrust of the game. However that doesn't mean that multi has to be treated like a poor cousin.

The real die hard fans of BtRL, the ones who were still playing it months later were the multi players and I want them to know that we're not making the mistakes that finally drove them away from playing it.

Offline Shade

I want them to know that we're not making the mistakes that finally drove them away from playing it.
Indeed.  I was one of those people who were frustrated at the very limited options in the BtRL demo, and I can promise you that when we release, you will have a lot of ships to play with. And in fact, we've been working on multiplayer missions for a while already, while waiting for the models and story needed for the single player campaign to be completed... meaning that even at this early point, we have more (and more diverse) multiplayer missions finished and ready to play than the BtRL demo ever had ;)

Oh, and it might be worth mentioning that ships and missions aren't the only area where we aim to do better. Many things have been changed 'under the hood' since the engine version the BtRL demo used that multi players will find exciting...
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Are you going to create fully cutscened missions with take off, landing and important events sequences? Are you going to use the same BSG style(with rapid zooms)? :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Maybe? They're a must have! :nod:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Yea, and also a PITA to make  :P

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Maybe? They're a must have! :nod:

Not if we can get in-game pilotable landings and tube launches. :p Why animate it if we can have the player control it. :D

Offline peterv

Offline Adalla

• So Say We All!
    • Adalla Productions
Quote from: Karajorma
The real die hard fans of BtRL, the ones who were still playing it months later were the multi players and I want them to know that we're not making the mistakes that finally drove them away from playing it.

Thank you!

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Thank you Adalla. Those words born hope in me :D
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Not if we can get in-game pilotable landings and tube launches. :p Why animate it if we can have the player control it. :D

What about using cutscenes for wings other than the player? Ex. a small cutscene showing the Cylon Raiders taking off from a Basestar.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
In-game cutscenes that pull you out of the cockpit to watch them = pure evil.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Even if they last only a few seconds? Even if they still allow the player to control his fighter(Ex. he's closing in on the Basestar, the Raiders are launched iin the cutscene and the player keeps full control of the Viper)?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Even then. They absolutely ruin immersion. Besides how is it a cutscene if the player still has control of their viper anyway? :confused:

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I see. The main perspective is and will always be the one of the Viper/Raider pilot, right?
The Lightblue Ribbon