Author Topic: There is hope after all...what fantastic news for BSG fans!  (Read 18474 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: There is hope after all...what fantastic news for BSG fans!
We do have an in-universe example of what the landing sequence looks like, and it does involve a 'meatball'. I believe it was in Final Cut.

Enki

With scripting it's possible to use textured particles.

Al we need is a series of lights intended to guide the player to the hangar, or at least messages.

Yes, true.  That requires more programming and graphics computations than simple switched-on fixed-geometry/lights though.  Get the lights and masking polys positioned right and NEVER have a bug related to them. It's the same technique used in the real world for the same reasons, only there a Fresnel Lens is substituted for the mask, still a matter of physically restricting angular visibility.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Check Nuke's video about turret control on YouTube - he used a pair of lines on the HUD. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Hi there!

Nervouspete here, I was on the BRTL forum and posted infrequently, usually about stuff that had nowt much to do with the mod since I couldn't really think of anything to say about it, since there were never any updates after the demo and not much feedback opportunities. Doh'eth! As time passed I grew increasingly confused and disinterested due to the lack of any fun BTRL conversation that wasn't immediately nipped in the bud with 'when it's done'. I'd still log in once or twice every week and have a scout round to see if there was anything going on, but nothing. I began to fear for the health of the mod, especially since tumbleweeds had begun to roll through the forum.

Which was a shame, as the BTRL demo was pretty fun and very impressive, especially the music! (And I actually liked the briefing voice - so shoot me.) It was very frustrating however to see nothing new come along. At all. Even some posts saying how it was coming along would have been welcome. The biggest error was the lack of items to play with in Fred. If a Cylon Heavy Raider and a Raptor had been added, and a couple more passenger/cargo ships then there could have been a lot more Fredding done and a load more fun missions. As it was, it became a bit dull repeating various interpretations of 'the ore-miner captain has lost his Jump Engine keys, possibly down the back of the sofa. Or behind the fridge. Protect him while he finds them!' - Despite the best efforts of some very talented user mission creators, it grew stale.

So I was feeling pretty despondent.

Until I found you guys! Hurrah! Etc.

Basically, I like the cut of your jib! Keeping us at least semi-regularily updated will increase enthusiasm and help recruitment for
the mod. What I've seen so far has looked quite impressive, though in my opinion possibly not as polished as some of the screenshots we saw in BTRL. However, since you've assured that a fair few of these screenshots contain placeholders, I'd say you're well on the way to something amazing. I really wish you success with this one. Looks to me like you're angling for two different halves, one being following the show and another campaign of a 'what-if Six never got it on with Baltar' where the two races go toe-to-toe in a war, rather than a massacre. That's just a hunch though.

I love the Bolitho as well. Now if you do a medical ship called The Maturin and a frigate called The Aubrey, I'd be one happy nugget!

I really wish you luck Kara, and the rest of you guys and gals. A release system in the style of the laudable Babylon Project mod sounds good too. Don't burn yourself out though and forget you have social lives or anything, though! :D

By the way, I respect the way you consider the great schism an 'internal affair' and aren't hosting grievences. I guess however frustrating it was, it wasn't an easy choice to make though. I still wish Omni luck with his mod, and will be pleasantly surprised and indulgent towards any release he puts out, but my attentions and affections are now transfered to the Diaspora team! 

Thanks again and best of luck.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 09:53:28 am by nervouspete »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The biggest error was the lack of items to play with in Fred. If a Cylon Heavy Raider and a Raptor had been added, and a couple more passenger/cargo ships then there could have been a lot more Fredding done and a load more fun missions. As it was, it became a bit dull repeating various interpretations of 'the ore-miner captain has lost his Jump Engine keys, possibly down the back of the sofa. Or behind the fridge. Protect him while he finds them!' - Despite the best efforts of some very talented user mission creators, it grew stale.

We're not making that mistake. :) As I've said before R1 will include a capship from each side, several RTF ships and a large number of fighters to fly. That's more than enough for the 3rd party FREDders to keep everyone entertained between our releases.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

We're not making that mistake. :) As I've said before R1 will include a capship from each side, several RTF ships and a large number of fighters to fly. That's more than enough for the 3rd party FREDders to keep everyone entertained between our releases.

Right :nod:

The biggest error was the lack of items to play with in Fred. If a Cylon Heavy Raider and a Raptor had been added, and a couple more passenger/cargo ships then there could have been a lot more Fredding done and a load more fun missions. As it was, it became a bit dull repeating various interpretations of 'the ore-miner captain has lost his Jump Engine keys, possibly down the back of the sofa. Or behind the fridge. Protect him while he finds them!' - Despite the best efforts of some very talented user mission creators, it grew stale.

Hurrah!

To ask for anything more would be akin to demanding the moon on a stick!

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Mmmm, Moonstick.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
hey, is it only me or has the BtrL forum disappeared from its website? Is it officially dead?
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Judging from the comments on the forum and website they're still working on it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
    • Fraktured Reality
The forum is still there, though it appears they've taken the link off the website.
Or something.
- Fraktured Reality

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Nice influx of proto-HLP'ers. They'll soon adjust to our atmosphere. :nod:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
    • Fraktured Reality
I believe you'll soon adjust to me.
Or something.
- Fraktured Reality

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

I miss Shrike.

Offline Vidmaster

wrong TV show.  Freespace doesn't have a StarTrek Conversion so far, thank (the non-existing) god  :).

Anyway, I would still like to see BtrL finished, since the story (semi-show like) showed a lot of promise.

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Anyway, I would still like to see BtrL finished, since the story (semi-show like) showed a lot of promise.
The BtRL demo storyline was independent from any planned bigger release, and was basicly formed around the finished assets we had at the time.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
wrong TV show.  Freespace doesn't have a StarTrek Conversion so far, thank (the non-existing) god  :).

It's a reference to one of the oldest HLP members, Shrike. That was his sig.

Offline Vidmaster

The BtRL demo storyline was independent from any planned bigger release, and was basicly formed around the finished assets we had at the time.
yeah, but as far as I could tell from the videos (for example the ModDB contest), you would be doing something similar as I am doing in my FortuneHunters campaigns for TBP: retelling the events of the show from a perspective of a pilot never seen on the screen.
Am I mistaken?

@Battuda: Right, now that you remember me! Shrike had that in bold letters written in his sig  :)

Offline Topgun

To be honest I think you should give a lot of importance to the single player mode as well. Not everyone has the opportunity of playing in multi... :(

Offline sirukin

So may I gather that flight deck landing and launch tube scrambles aren't being ruled out?

I'll offer my opinion that in-game cut-scenes that interrupt during play would be annoying. Saying that, I wouldn't rule out the sheer wickedness of having Kara Thrace pop up onto my HUD in the BSG-stylized blue light dispersing orders.

Would pre-recorded video shorts have a place in Diaspora in-game not interrupting play?

As for landing and the launch-tube thing, it would be amazing to have it straight from jumping into the cockpit and having the glass/plexi canopy closing, having the various viper launch support personnel preparing the viper for launch then launching.