Author Topic: New ships in TBP?  (Read 14821 times)

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
About the WhiteStar, how are you going to get the beam/proton pulse working?  If you remember, the Whitestar can fire little yellow proton bolts, or concentrate energy on making the proton bolts become a focused beam.  Sometimes, you will need to disable, not destroy a target.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
I'm not entirely sure to what you are referring. If you can link pictures of this weapon being used in it's two different forms that would be helpful.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
It's easier to see in real life.  Do you have the season three disk two?  If you do, then watch the episode that casts Dr. Kirkish in one of the first scenes.

If you don't then listen up.  The Whitestar is against a Shadow ship, and is attacking with both purple blasts from the engine wings and a few yellow spherical blasts from the tip, slightly less often as the purple ones.  When they find out that the weapons aren't doing anything to the Shadow ship, the Whitestar "fires the protons in a focused beam".   The focused beam is what the Whitestar normally uses, since it is the most effective way to destroy something, despite heightened energy usage.

It would be nice if we could choose how to attack, as it is nice to be able to save energy or attack an enemy and disable it without destroying it.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
I believe our Whitestar has all those weapons.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline -Norbert-

Later you see a lot of whitestars firing the bolt- and beamweapons at the same time.
In "into the fire" for example, when they attack the vorlon outpost.

Since the Whitestar was at the begin of season 3 a prototype and mostly untested, I guess that they upgraded it later on, so it's possible to use all weapons at the same time.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Have any of you actually tried flying the Whitestar included in the 3.0 - 3.1 release?

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
So are you saying that there are FOUR primary weapons?  Two purple proton spheres, a yellow proton sphere, and a yellow proton beam?  AT THE SAME TIME?!?  Neat!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Originally posted by Dark RevenantX
About the WhiteStar, how are you going to get the beam/proton pulse working?  If you remember, the Whitestar can fire little yellow proton bolts, or concentrate energy on making the proton bolts become a focused beam.  Sometimes, you will need to disable, not destroy a target.

WhiteStars have three main types of weapons.

1) Main beam - The green beam that we see firing from the centerline station
2) Green/Yellow pulses - Mounted above and behind the main beam weapon
3) Blue/Puprle pulses - Four small weapons (two each side) that are yellow/greenish in color.

Sometimes I think the colors alternate depending on which animator did the scene.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline aipz

• War,war never changes...
Whitestar release 3.0-3.1
This ship model has 2 player operated weapons:
1-2 pulse neutron cannons
2-4 light pulse fusion cannons

The main neutron beam is turret AI controlled...
"Another fellow pilot"

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
The neutron beam should not be AI controled.  If the Nial has a player beam, then why shouldn't the Whitestar?  Besides, the Neutron beam is not turreted in the show.

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Because at the time the model was made, three primaries wasn't possible.
No surrender, no retreat.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
It still isn't possible in a stable release of the game engine. Once it is I will ship the necessary upgrade.

If that's not good enough I suggest downloading a new build of the game engine, PCS, and editting the pof yourself. It's hardly rocket science. Delete the turret and place a primary point at the location where the turret was.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Not exactly easy.  First, you have to also add a secondary firepoint and appropriate table entry, since ATM... FSO won't accept a ship without secondaries.  Just give the bank an allowed of and 0 cappacity.  Secondly, both myself and others who have attempted this, have run into an odd problem... when attempting to fire the main beam, all you see is the beamglow, but no beam.  Others have reported that the impact effect and dammage is still visible, but my efforts have not yielded the same result.  Also, for some reason, n'either MODview n'or PCS will allow you to move the eyepoint to where the bridge is.  By default, it places it directly between the forward cannon pair.  Couple that with the old bug that will not count beam kills to the player.  If you're flying a Nial and you take out any ships with your beams, you won't get credit for it.

While I'm posting (and as this seems like the right thread to ask this in), I was thinking back to some of the Narn ships and one question popped into my mind.  If you've ever seen "Walkabout", you may remember that during a meal with G'Kar (after discussing the Sweedish Meat-Ball paradox), War Leader Na'Kal gives a list of the various Narn ships that have been recovered, rescued, and repaired.  He mentions Heavy cruisers, medium warships, one other I can't remember, but he also says "Dreadnaughts".  Now, is this a class of Narn ship we've seen before or not?  Would this be bigger than a G'Quan class, or merely an antiquated class designation for some of the older ships in service?  If the general consensus is that this is a not-yet-seen design, would the TBP team be open to finding a suitable fan or non-canon design for the class?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 07:35:16 pm by 1268 »
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

I believe Na'Kal refers to the Bin'tak warships? G'Quans, Th'nors, T'loths and Bin'taks were the Narn vessels.

IIRC, the Bin'tak was from B5Wars.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
My friend has a copy of the tabletop game, "A Call to Arms".  I bet that he could find the largest Narn token and get its name.

Offline aipz

Guess my thread is becoming quickly outdated...
With so many new models underway this thread can become quickly obsolete...
Awesome work TBP guys... ;7
"Another fellow pilot"

Offline aipz

Could someone from the TBP staff give a glimpse of insight on ships that will propably appear in TBP 3.3, please?
"Another fellow pilot"

Offline aipz

And some insight on future plans?
"Another fellow pilot"

Offline madaboutgames

• Heatemup People!
    • The Heat Em Up Web site
EG a cockpit view for more realism

*The Earth Brakiri War*
*B5 Star Fury Pilot*

Are You Ready?  Find Out!
www.heatemup.co.uk

Visit  -  http://proxima-fleet.com for the heatemup Forums.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
While I'm posting (and as this seems like the right thread to ask this in), I was thinking back to some of the Narn ships and one question popped into my mind.  If you've ever seen "Walkabout", you may remember that during a meal with G'Kar (after discussing the Sweedish Meat-Ball paradox), War Leader Na'Kal gives a list of the various Narn ships that have been recovered, rescued, and repaired.  He mentions Heavy cruisers, medium warships, one other I can't remember, but he also says "Dreadnaughts".  Now, is this a class of Narn ship we've seen before or not?  Would this be bigger than a G'Quan class, or merely an antiquated class designation for some of the older ships in service?  If the general consensus is that this is a not-yet-seen design, would the TBP team be open to finding a suitable fan or non-canon design for the class?

Dont put too much trust on the ship designations in the series. For example; Omega was called cruiser in season 2... He propably mentioned dreadnaught because it sounded cool. Besides. Bin'tak was designed after the second Centauri occupation, as I understand...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...