Author Topic: Raider Wars 3.0 - ANTI-BUG OFFENSIVE Status thread  (Read 15353 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Raider Wars 3.0 - ANTI-BUG OFFENSIVE Status thread
You want to play "Raider Wars" without problems? - You will be helped!

List of Bugs - created from the community's posts:
Major:

- CTDs in "Slipping the Nose"
- CTDs in "The Wheel Turns"
Minor:
- voice acting errors in "Nobody Expects" (almostTM fixedTM)
- message/voice acting errors in "Slipping the Nose" (fixedTM)
- "broken" Brakirii vessel in "Nightmare Scenario" (fixedTM)
- background mismatches (fixedTM)
- "Protect Freighters"-directive in "Boarding Party" (fixedTM)
- Briefing Icos (fixedTM)

anything else?

EDIT: I failed to find the related Mantis-Issues to the CTDs ... do they exisit?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 07:30:13 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Raider Wars 3.0 - ANTI-BUG OFFENSIVE Status thread
As far as I know, no.

And I'm going to need much more detailed advice on just what causes the problem unless the game crashes the first time I try the mission.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
how can we help ? should we try to reproduce the bugs and post the CTDs ?
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline 0rph3u5

how can we help ? should we try to reproduce the bugs and post the CTDs ?

Yeah would be cool of you to try that with debug build (normal and INF - don't forget to hide (cut+paste to anywhere but you TBP/data-folder) any additional tbls with you do it with a normal debug-build) and post what comes up...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Vidmaster

I am not sure if I understand this.

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Basically find a set of conditions which will always make the mission crash. Then put it in Mantis so I can try them out myself.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
The crash is pretty consistent. If you try the mission I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Vidmaster

there seems to be a problem. freespace always crashs (I mean real crash) on turning the wheel.

Offline Vidmaster

something like that:

fs2_open_3_6_9 caused an Access Violation in module fs2_open_3_6_9.exe at 001b:00608b4e.
Exception handler called in FreeSpace 2 Main Thread.
Error occurred at 8/30/2007 20:01:50.
C:\Games\The Babylon Project\fs2_open_3_6_9.exe, run by Elias.
2 processor(s), type 586.
1521 MBytes physical memory.
Read from location 00000004 caused an access violation.

Registers:
EAX=10481ff8 CS=001b EIP=00608b4e EFLGS=00010202
EBX=c5290ca5 SS=0023 ESP=0012f884 EBP=0012f8d4
ECX=10481ff8 DS=0023 ESI=0109ca74 FS=003b
EDX=00000004 ES=0023 EDI=0109cafc GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 02 89 45 c0 8b 4a 04 89 4d c4 8b 52 08 89 55
Stack dump:
0012f884: 0001f67c 00000009 0012f7e8 7c91ee18 0012f8dc 7c91ee18 7c920570 10481ff8
0012f8a4: 01817a98 c36d4ee9 41329b19 c528bc2d 1d318168 0109cafc 0109ca74 023507f0
0012f8c4: 01396c90 3ea20dd0 3cdba17c 3f72bdde 0012f92c 00608ede 0012f904 0012f918
vvvvvvvvv
more of this stuff

and again

fs2_open_3_6_9 caused an Access Violation in module fs2_open_3_6_9.exe at 001b:00608b4e.
Exception handler called in FreeSpace 2 Main Thread.
Error occurred at 8/30/2007 19:59:16.
C:\Games\The Babylon Project\fs2_open_3_6_9.exe, run by Elias.
2 processor(s), type 586.
1521 MBytes physical memory.
Read from location 00000004 caused an access violation.

Registers:
EAX=104b27e8 CS=001b EIP=00608b4e EFLGS=00010202
EBX=43d6ed3b SS=0023 ESP=0012f884 EBP=0012f8d4
ECX=104b27e8 DS=0023 ESI=0109ca74 FS=003b
EDX=00000004 ES=0023 EDI=0109cafc GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 02 89 45 c0 8b 4a 04 89 4d c4 8b 52 08 89 55
Stack dump:
0012f884: 0001f67c 00000009 0012f7e8 7c91ee18 0012f8dc 7c91ee18 7c920570 104b27e8
0012f8a4: 018086f0 c458a54d c294d4bf 43d975f6 224a2d20 0109cafc 0109ca74 023507f0
0012f8c4: 01396c90 bf7339d1 3cebde6a be9f0867 0012f92c 00608ede 0012f904 0012f918
vvvv and a lot of stuff

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
See if you can get it to crash using the debug build. If you can, post the fs2_open.log from your data folder.

Offline 0rph3u5

-I finally found some time to run another go-

UPDATE:
MAJOR BUGS:
- no crashes on IFF changes; wrong alarm
- CTD in "The Wheel Turns" confirmed, trying to determine cause
MINOR BUGS:
- changed the event with the directive "Protect Freighters" in "Boarding Party" so the directive will show up from start
- fixed the briefing icons

@kara:
here is my FS2_open log - I ran "The Wheel Turns" with the debug-variant of the build you gave me(various times in a row) but it keeps on crashing BTW this build creates a lot of graphical errors...
I'm looking if I can find a cause in the mission's SEXPs

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 07:30:36 am by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
I'm looking if I can find a cause in the mission's SEXPs

Kara might see this as taking a somewhat overly aggressive stance towards SCP now he's part of their team... but... it's worth baring in mind that no SEXP error should ever make the game crash to desktop. If the mission doesn't do what it's supposed to do that's different.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Actually I agree with you 100%. At the very worst a SEXP error should at least display a warning\error\assertion in debug mode.

Offline 0rph3u5

It was not my intentention to insult someone - sry if I did

I just wanted to stress that I'm doing all I can at my end to find something that might be a lead to the cause or the cause itself and that I'm therefor turning the mission file upside down

and maybe I've found something... details later

==================

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
You didn't insult me. I'm really grateful you have sorting out these issues on your agenda Orph. Isolating which SEXPs if any are causing the crashes sounds like a fantastic idea. If there are logic problems in the mission and fixing those fixes the crashes, that's great! I just didn't want you to think that it's your job to remove SEXPs that should work just because they crash the game engine. That's curing the symptom not the problem. Kara seems predictably reasonable about this so if you're in doubt ask him. As I will likely vanish now for a few days.

Thanks again to both of you for taking an interest.

Offline 0rph3u5

I never though of completely removing stuff from your missions permantently -- I don't feel I've the right to do that
(but there are some things I don't understand esspecially about TWT - check your pms)

but I finally isolated something which has something to do with the crash in "The Wheel Turns"...
the crash does not appear if you keep at least a distance 4k-5k to the centauri cruisers ---  :confused: :confused:

EDIT: I ran some other missions including the Vorchan to see if it has something to do with the ship or its weapons - negative on that
EDIT2:
"Slipping the Nose" went without a hitch in the second go -- this time is just sticked closer to the gibralta and the GOD than usual and all of a sudden it works.... wierd

EDIT3:
Warning: Null vec3d in vec3d normalize.
Trace out of vecmat.cpp and find offending code.

File: VecMat.cpp
Line: 806

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    physics_apply_shock()    weapon_area_apply_blast()    shockwave_move()    shockwave_move_all()    game_simulation_frame()    game_frame()    game_do_frame()    game_do_state()    gameseq_process_events()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816fd7()
this poped up on various occasions -- aynthing significant?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 09:10:07 am by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
It means there's an extremely minor issue with a model. A number of our models have such issues. The game engine never used to bug about it. Those were the days. I miss them. On some systems the debug build will actually crash because of this warning. Which renders the debug build useless.

Offline Vidmaster

debug crashed right at the beginning on my machine and we got this:

Warning: Too many ship classes before 'Sinclair's Aurora'; maximum is 130, so only the first 130 will be used
File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\ship\Ship.cpp
Line: 2879
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
    parse_shiptbl()    parse_modular_table()    ship_init()    game_init()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816d4f()

what did i done wrong ? and what's that INF-debug ?

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
That's not a crash it's a warning and a justified one. Just ignore the too many ship class warnings.

Offline Vidmaster

BUT:
if i choose "no", the bug just appears over and over and over again
if I choose "yes" the game crashes totally
if i choose "cancel" the game quits (like it should)

the debug_inf seems to work, but I dont know the difference between the INF and the normal debug