Author Topic: Raider Wars 3.0 - ANTI-BUG OFFENSIVE Status thread  (Read 15355 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: Raider Wars 3.0 - ANTI-BUG OFFENSIVE Status thread
Debug Inf supports over 120 ships - normal debug just support 120

for TBP it is safer to use the INF debug
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Doh. That's my bad. I've just realised I gave you the latest CVS build rather than the latest Inferno CVS build for the 3.6.9 branch. Simply change the filename on the .tbm file and it should work again (or complain about missing ship classes).

I'll build you an Inferno build (one that can handle more than 130 ship classes) if it causes you problems.

As for the null vec error that could be a possible cause of the crashes actually. But I'd be expecting to get divide by zero errors if that was the case.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline 0rph3u5

As for the null vec error that could be a possible cause of the crashes actually. But I'd be expecting to get divide by zero errors if that was the case.

I just wanted to know what that is 'cause it looked suspicious to me and kept on popping up on various ocasions
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
my tbp installer always lauched the normal fs2open and fred, instead of the inf versions. Now I know why the ships of the first ones were missing in my game ! I hope this won't create problems with my campaign now, 5 missions are already finished but I used the normal fred and fs2open.

additionally, i have to report a ctd in hell and back and even during debug, i got no error log.

And i got

During loading of Turning the wheel and Profit&Loss and Nobody expects

Warning: Ship  is not a support ship!
File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\Parse\SEXP.CPP
Line: 13314
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    eval_sexp()    eval_when()    eval_sexp()    mission_process_event()    mission_eval_goals()    game_simulation_frame()    game_frame()    game_do_frame()    game_do_state()    gameseq_process_events()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816d4f()

During nobody expects

Warning: Null vec3d in vec3d normalize.
Trace out of vecmat.cpp and find offending code.

File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\Math\VecMat.cpp
Line: 803
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
    vm_vec_normalize()    vm_vec_normal()    get_tangent_point()    create_path_to_point()    create_model_path()    ai_find_path()    ai_dock_with_object()    ai_process_mission_orders()    ai_frame()    ai_process()    ship_process_post()    obj_move_all_post()    obj_move_all()    game_simulation_frame()    game_frame()

are those normal ?
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work

Our models have always had these issues. They never caused crashes, in fact the game engine never even mentioned them until late in it's development.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Vidmaster

well, for that, Nobody expects seems to work.

For the background issues:
During load of Preemtive measures I:

Warning: Trying to add a bitmap that does not exist in stars.tbl!
File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\Starfield\StarField.cpp
Line: 3127

Call stack:
    stars_load_background()    stars_load_first_valid_background()    parse_bitmaps()    parse_mission()    parse_main()    mission_load()    game_start_mission()    game_enter_state()    gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()    gameseq_process_events()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816d4f()

Warning: Failed to add starfield bitmap 'neb_grene4' to the mission!
File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\Starfield\StarField.cpp
Line: 3459

Call stack:
    stars_load_first_valid_background()    parse_bitmaps()    parse_mission()    parse_main()    mission_load()    game_start_mission()    game_enter_state()    gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()    gameseq_process_events()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816d4f()

question: is that the broken Brakiri vessel you are refering to ?  During loading of Nightmare Scenario:

Warning: Ship "BK Cassan" has an invalid ship type (ships.tbl probably changed).  Making it type 0
File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\Mission\MissionParse.cpp
Line: 3315

Call stack:
    parse_objects()    parse_mission()    parse_main()    mission_load()    game_start_mission()    game_enter_state()    gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()    gameseq_process_events()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816d4f()

And again, I want to repeat that I had a CTD on "Hell and back" but without a error message in debug, can anyone confirm ?

Additionally, I played through "Slipping the nose" now multiple times and it worked (???). Just got one crash, during the "Brakiri Cruiser(...)fire" message, but again, with no error message even in debug.

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline 0rph3u5

Warning: Ship  is not a support ship!

that's normal and harmless

Warning: Null vec3d in vec3d normalize.

I've asked that before (few posts up) and it appears that it is normal

Warning: Trying to add a bitmap that does not exist in stars.tbl!
Warning: Failed to add starfield bitmap 'neb_grene4' to the mission!

that is a wierd typo (grene instead of green) in the mission file - I've got no idea how it got there unless IPA used the ordinary text editor to modify his missions - fixed under the pointer "Background Mismatches"

Warning: Ship "BK Cassan" has an invalid ship type (ships.tbl probably changed).  Making it type 0

noted and fixed various times - - maybe the fixed mission file I've posted sometime in the other thread about the Bugs in RW is still around

Vidmaster, can you tell me what you did before it crashed while playing "Hell and Back"?

EDIT: Currently I'm starting a Mantis issue on this --- all description I can give is pretty blurry, that is why it might be cloesed soon...
EDIT2: Mantis issue is out - #0001485
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 04:33:02 pm by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline Vidmaster

hermes had already shown up and I was dogfighting, sry that's it.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
When you guys get a good bug fix game engine build can you include me in the beta testing? I would like to do a little FREDing.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline 0rph3u5

When you guys get a good bug fix game engine build can you include me in the beta testing? I would like to do a little FREDing.

sure - PM me once you have the time and I'll upload a package with the mission file including the current fixes and a CVS build Kara gave me for you

==================

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Hmmmm. That's odd. I played through The Wheel Turns and it worked just fine for me.

I'll upload the build I was using in a little bit and people can test it out.

Offline 0rph3u5

Hmmmm. That's odd. I played through The Wheel Turns and it worked just fine for me.

did you stay close to those 3 Vorchans?

AND please check the "CTDs on Raider Wars"-Mantis issue (ID No. 0001485)
there had been an more elaborate update  -- maybe that is just what you might need to trace down the cause of these CTD

==================

Might want to look into why it is that your wingmates never seem to listen to you.

"Form on my wing"

*waits five minutes*

"SAY, I SAID FORM ON MY WING"

They say: "DROOOOOOOL IM WEETAUDDED."

:doubt:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Okay. Found a potential cause of the crash in TWT.

The EA Maintbots have no weapons. At one point in the game though it appears that they are trying to strafe the Vorchans. The problem with this is that the game figures out how to strafe by working out where the guns are and pointing them at the enemy ship. Except the maintbots have no guns. So the position information for the guns is nonsense.

I'm not sure what I can do about this. I'm not entirely sure that this is something that should have a code solution (or at least not a simple one). Giving the maintbots a very low power welding torch with an incredibly short range should be enough to solve the problem. Giving them different orders (return to the station) might also work.

I notice mission 9 also has maint bots in it. The cause is likely the same one.

Offline Vidmaster

i new he is brilliant  ;)    :nod: :nod: :nod:

Offline 0rph3u5

equiping the mainbot with two gun points (1 primary/1 secondary) would basically fix it?

==================

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
As far as I could see it was only the primaries that were causing the crash because the game uses them to determine which way the ship should be facing.

But if you just gave the ship gunpoints you might find that the game now crashes due to having gunpoints and no weapon for them. So I'm not certain what to advise.

Offline 0rph3u5

As far as I could see it was only the primaries that were causing the crash because the game uses them to determine which way the ship should be facing.

But if you just gave the ship gunpoints you might find that the game now crashes due to having gunpoints and no weapon for them. So I'm not certain what to advise.

just extracted model and tbl do add the gunpoint (X your finger Modelview wants to play along) and get it suitable gun...

better tried and failed than never having tried at all

EDIT: ModelView played along -- now anybody got an empty tbm for me?
EDIT2: *gets on making a 0 damage beam just for the main bot*

EDIT3: would re-flagging the mainbot to something else than "fighter" solve the problem too? but that would break the current AI orders of course
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 03:16:48 pm by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Giving it something other than fighter or bomber would prevent the bug. It only shows up if the AI is in AIM_STRAFE mode and only fighters and bombers will enter that mode.

I'm not sure what ai class you can stick the maintbot in other than one of those two though.

Offline 0rph3u5

==================